Asked vinyl to prove itself today.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Things a bit slow at work today so I cranked up the Rega for the first time since April 22nd to see why I am still allowing it to take up space in the living room.

ZZ Top's 'Eliminator' was first to hand. Then Kate Bush, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton, Dizzy Gillespie's 'Cool World' and Dr Feelgood 'Down by the Jetty'.

7 sides from 5 LPs later I realised I had been totally neglecting a great source for almost 2 months now (what with the novelty my first good CD player and all the fun Digi-ma-doings with the Beresford DAC).

I have never heard vinyl like this before in my own home. (22nd April was just a 30 second test of one track to make sure everything was connected properly to the new gear with the volume down.)

So another great suprise and another regret. The regret being that there was yet another great source that my old Arcam sat it's fluffy behind on and suffocated for almost a year without me realising!

Please ignore any of my previous defense or praise for the Arcam Solo-Mini. It's CD player was boring and now it seems it smothered my turntable too.

Bl@@@y Arcam.

Oh yes. The Rega stays.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hurrah! We did a lot of vinyl-listening this weekend, too - reminds you why it's still worth all the effort
emotion-21.gif

However, think it's a tad unfair to be damning the abilities of an Arcam style system when compared to separates costing more than double the money
emotion-40.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:However, think it's a tad unfair to be damning the abilities of an Arcam style system when compared to separates costing more than double the money
emotion-40.gif

We are not talking about loud volumes here Clare. 9 o'clock on the Nait's volume control.

A few months ago I heard an Arcam FMJ A18/CD17 murder music through a pair of Focal's entry level floorstanders. (Forgot what they are called.)

A friend's A65 is now strangling my old KEF Q35.2's in his bedroom system. I feel a bit guilty about that. They used to sing so nicely in the old days with a Rega Luna amp and a Planar 3.

I am coming to the conclusion that the Solo-Mini was overly flattered or even 'propped up' by the Rega R3's.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I still think you're being harsh on the Solo Mini - it's a fantastic one-box system, with a more peppy sonic character to recent Arcam separates.

It just sounds like you and your system were past ready for the greater abilities (at any volume) and sophistication that higher-priced, great-quality separates can deliver.

It's like any successful upgrade - you wonder how you lived with the previous system!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts