Ask a rude question... speaker cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Witterings

I stumbled across a lovely article recently about high quality interconnects, whether they make a difference or is it just a sales person trying to sell you something more expensive ... so very parallel to high quality / expensive cable.

The writer suggested you go into a demo room and the customer switches the interconnects back and forth and the seller has to blind test and get which is which correct 75% of the time and if he does then buy them ... he did point out he didn't think most of the sellers would actually get as far as the demo room

Can't see this is any different with speaker cables, take yours with you to a retailer and go compare.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
A bit of a mixed review of Chord in this thread, but I've been using them for years and have upgraded bit by bit over the years. It's unlikely I'd ever try anything else now.
The cable debate can be a bit hit and miss here. Some are advocates of different cables and what they bring, others are resolutely of the opinion it's a pseudo science and not worth the money.
Personally, I'm a believer of cables and am content with the improvements they variously bring. If you have a friendly dealer nearby, you might be able to try some different cables in the comfort of your home.
Good luck!

record_spot

Stick with what you've got, go active, or get some basic 99.5% OFC cable.

I've been through this route more times than I care to remember over the last thirty yeaers and I can promise you - and as you probably already know - moving your speakers a few inches either way, back, forward, or sideways, reaps greater rewards than anything in a cable ever will.

Reactions: treesey and Dom
Stick with what you've got, go active, or get some basic 99.5% OFC cable.

I've been through this route more times than I care to remember over the last thirty yeaers and I can promise you - and as you probably already know - moving your speakers a few inches either way, back, forward, or sideways, reaps greater rewards than anything in a cable ever will.
No way I'll go active until I'm old and lazy. The system sounds fabulous as it stands. Just trying ways to tweak what's already great and see if I hear an audible improvement.

A bit of a mixed review of Chord in this thread, but I've been using them for years and have upgraded bit by bit over the years. It's unlikely I'd ever try anything else now.
The cable debate can be a bit hit and miss here. Some are advocates of different cables and what they bring, others are resolutely of the opinion it's a pseudo science and not worth the money.
Personally, I'm a believer of cables and am content with the improvements they variously bring. If you have a friendly dealer nearby, you might be able to try some different cables in the comfort of your home.
Good luck!
Personally I've never been convinced by cables except for the ones that had a detrimental effect on the sound. The real plumb in the pack was the Chord Odyssey- tonally wrong for my taste and system. That's the issue, the only real world difference is tonal balance.

But go up the price chain a little, who knows?

Reactions: Clarkey_71 and Dom

Witterings

I will pop into either Infidelity Hi-fi or Unilet and see what they're offering for home demo.

Unilet .... somewhere I haven't been for an awful long time, my 1st 2 systems came from there when I was much younger and my parents for years before that.
They used to have a great system (I thought so at the time) with all the speakers lined up, some on the floor and then 2 tiers of bookshelves lined above them.
Each speaker had a number and they gave you a remote so you could pick which ones you wanted to hear and it switched between them. There was a long lighting track with loads of spotlights in front of the speakers and as you switched from one pair to the next the spotlight would switch as well and shine on the one's that were active ..... loved going in there!

Unilet .... somewhere I haven't been for an awful long time, my 1st 2 systems came from there when I was much younger and my parents for years before that.
They used to have a great system (I thought so at the time) with all the speakers lined up, some on the floor and then 2 tiers of bookshelves lined above them.
Each speaker had a number and they gave you a remote so you could pick which ones you wanted to hear and it switched between them. There was a long lighting track with loads of spotlights in front of the speakers and as you switched from one pair to the next the spotlight would switch as well and shine on the one's that were active ..... loved going in there!
i was going to say "are they still going? "
Haven't seen one of their outlets for years....

Unilet are also good guys. Purchased a few bits and bobs from them over the years, incl Arcam A65+, PMCs (Blue Murder sale) and a replacement remote for my old CD73.

record_spot

No way I'll go active until I'm old and lazy. The system sounds fabulous as it stands. Just trying ways to tweak what's already great and see if I hear an audible improvement.

That's what I thought until I went active mate. No way I'll go back to passives anytime this side of the next century.

And, I have to wonder, if it's already great, why tweak? Accept what it is and love it. Sit back and enjoy.

Reactions: Dom
That's what I thought until I went active mate. No way I'll go back to passives anytime this side of the next century.

And, I have to wonder, if it's already great, why tweak? Accept what it is and love it. Sit back and enjoy.
I am enjoying it immensely. Perhaps just a phase I'm going through -- upgraditus and all that nonsense.

Totally understand the appeal of actives but the passives suit my needs -- and actives tend to lack analogue inputs, too few for my needs.

Reactions: Al ears

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I did dabble in domestic active speaker technology for a while. Spent quite a bit of money but no audio nirvana. I found them to be no more 'perfect' than passive. In some ways inferior.

I do however plan to try some Pro actives soon to see if that will convince me.

Witterings

I recently upgraded in a kitchen living area and it would have so made sense to go with active for "tidying up" the area.
I just don't like the idea of being dependant on one unit as if they go wrong you have nothing and are a bit stuck.
I've always got a spare amp and speakers somewhere (albeit not the best) so can easily switch them out whilst the one that's broken is repaired / replaced.
It's much like the short lived phase of all in one TV's / Videos / DVD players, one component goes you were buggered whilst it was repaired.

It also takes away the option of upgrading bit by bit, when I did the kitchen living area I looked at doing the whole system but having tried alternatives decided the amp didn't need replacing so ended up just doing the speakers and speaker wire (just to make sure we're still on
topic :ROFLMAO: ).

I think there's also just the human nature side, some people like tinkering and find it interesting / part of the whole interest / hobby, which is easier to do with a passive / seperates setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts