asio4all: advanced settings advice needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have managed to make asio4all working with foobar2000 (OS is XP). Please help me with the advanced settings on the ASIO control panel - what do they do and how should I set them? They are now set as follows:

WDM Device List - VIA High Definition Audio (Compatible). In: 2x48kHz, 16Bits; Out: 2x48kHz, 16Bits;

ASIO Buffer Size = 2048 Samples;

'Latency compensation' In: 32 samples, Out: 32 samples;

'Hardware Buffer' - checked, 'Buffer Offset': 10ms,

'Always resample 44.1kHz <-> 48kHz - unchecked;

'Force WDM Driver to 16 bit - unchecked.

Any help appreciated. Best rgds, Goran

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
If your using asio4all just for playback move the asio buffer size bar to maximum (2048 Samples), set both latency settings to 0 Samples, set the Kernel Buffers to 4 & leave all the boxes unchecked.If you get some popping even after this (as I did) turn off the in setting on the WDM device on the left.Here you go these are my settings:
uc

A

Anonymous

Thank you russ74, this was exactly what I was looking for!!! (I can not see the picture you posted, but I have made settings as per youre advice). If you can bother, I would like you to explain what theese settings do to the sound.

When I play music in foobar, Wave volume on XP is not working, but Master volume is working. Is this what it should be like? Am I sending bit-perfect audio to my soundcard now?

How will I know/check if my soundcard is not doing something with the sound - resampling or something other?

Any recommended settings in Foobar except volume 100%, balance even and DSP off?

Thanks in advance, Goran

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Not totally sure what all the settings are for though I do believe most are for recording purposes to reduce latency. This is not an issue when used just for playback hence the settings recommended, I followed instructions from another forum.Yes just the master volume will work as wave is being by-passed, all files played will be bit perfect under asio4all.I personally don't use Foobar but pretty much for every media player I have used I leave the volume at 100% & use the amp, turn off the equalizer & don't use any DSP settings.If you post in the Foobar threads I'm sure PJPro & the others will help with any questions.Apologies for the picture I used google docs to upload & just cut & pasted the location into the img src code which didn't work. Anyhow hopefully this works (photobucket):
ps.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks once again! As far as I understand, now foobar is bypassing kernel mixer and is sending bit-perfect sound to the soundcard.

Now: is my soundcard outputting bit-perfect audio or is it resampling from 44.1 to 48 kHz? The thing that confuses me is that in asio control panel it reads "VIA High Definition Audio (Compatible); In: 2x48kHz, 16Bits; Out: 2x48kHz, 16Bits", but when I play music in foobar and move the cursor above asio control panel, it reads "2048 Samples at 44100Hz". I am confused
emotion-10.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts