Ashley & others: How well will the AVI integrated pair with my AE1 classics?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

Been lurking a while, so time to dip in again...

I've finally got to that zen-like state where I'm really chuffed with my system. The past few months has been spent really enjoying the music, rather than listening out for flaws / upgrade possibilities / weak components etc. I even couln't wait to get back home afer a week away just to hear it again. Lucky (sad?) man, eh?!

Down to business. I'm just about to move into a flat with my girlfriend, and I'm having trouble figuring out where to put all the kit. Because I built it up over time I never really stopped to figure out what it is worth, but I reckon if I sold the cdp, pre and 2x power I could get exactly enough for an AVI lab series integrated. Tempting, and what a difference in space!

So, could I invite your opinions on the following:

1) I'm assuming that the 'warm' NAD is a good match for the 'clear' AE1's. Will an AVI be a good match, and show me that 'warm' is actually 'muddy', or will it be too shrill?

2) Multi-box solution = hi-fi heaven. Integrated = neat & tidy. But will the AVI buck the convention and be significantly better than a tot of NADs? (ie, is it an upgrade or an sideways step?)

OK peeps, have at it; the good, the bad and the ugly!

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

A

Anonymous

nos.jpg

A

Anonymous

nu_groove:
OK peeps, have at it; the good, the bad and the ugly!

not exactly what I had in mind, chaps

A

Anonymous

That chap is both thinner and older than me. He's one of the few that is.

We're good friends of AE and they've used our Integrated Amplifier at shows and for demonstration purposes. they are a nice friendly bunch.

However we stopped making any separates in January 2008 (CD players a year earlier) to concentrate on ADM9.1s, for which there is far greater demand.
You may be able to find a second hand though because quite a few have upgraded.

Ash

A

Anonymous

The Lab Series has a very different sound to the NAD.

You'll have to listen.

What are the music tastes?

A

Anonymous

I ditched my c. 6k system when I moved into a smaller pad (relocated to Singapore) and got some AVI ADM9s instead. Couldnt be happier...

Ashely - as a side note, your suppliers in Singapore (Sound Decisions Pte) couldnt be more helpful.

A

Anonymous

That's Sammy! He's a lovely bloke, everybody likes him and he sends stuff to Vietnam and all over for us.

Ash

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Ashley. It is rather encouraging thet AE have used your amp as a demonstrator.

In answer to Eddi Pound, my tastes can probably be summed up by the CD's I listen to the most:

Jazzanova - In Between

Saint Germain des Pres Cafe (I-IX)

Essential Dave Bruebeck

Jaques Loussier - Air on a G String

Jack Johnson - In-between Dreams

Radio 1 Live Lounge etc

I'd listen to more classical if I had it, and occasionally rock & indy finds its way on there too. Not fussed about dance or D&B these days as it is most fun at unsociable levels...and I don't want to offend!

A

Anonymous

I own the first two discs you mention.

If you're into Nu-Jazz, Jazz, House and Latin then the clear, quick and punchy AVI should be better suited.

The warmer sound of the NAD S300 suited older recordings that needed filling out, but tended to be slower in the bass.

A

Anonymous

Just what I wanted to hear - thanks!

Part of me is still wondering - how can one small box sound as big, strong and detailed (not to mention musical and zingy) as 3 huge boxes?

Frankly, its all academic - my mind is made up that the AVI is better suited to my tastes and circumstances...but other opinions would be interesting.

Thanks again,

Daniel

A

Anonymous

Oh yes...can anyone direct me to a second-hand AVI? The one on ebay will be out of my price range soon as it has the phono stage which I don't need.

Ta!

A

Anonymous

I think I sold mine for about £950 on eBay over a year ago, but see they may constantly make £800 at present.

The case work is small, but the power supply takes up most of the box!

You might see prices fall when the new amp with digital inputs is released, which I read about elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts