Artists or groups that make you feel queasy...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Anthony and the Johnsons. Never have I been more disappointed with a mercury prize winning album. Whining claptrap.

So you weren't more disappointed when M People won it?! God help us if that was the best of British music. They get my vote for this thread!

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BillDay66 said:
Adele - I know, I know, great voice and maybe its me but watching her being interviewed with her 'Brit School Brat Attitude' and unnecessary swearing, chewing gum and general cockiness winds me up to the point where I'm going right off her!

Funny, that's the main thing I like about her! C-ackles like an old witch and then sings like an angel, not that I own anything by her.

Apologies for the unnecessary hyphen but the swear filter doesn't like the word otherwise.

Wouldn't necessarily mind the attitude if it didn't seem so contrived and put on for effect. Cant stand the amateur dramatics.

blackholesun

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I hate Coldplay with all my heart. Don't know why. Just hate their music. Oh, and Katie Mehlua and Norah Jones.

As for Phil Collins, I've always like his singing. Only recently I listened to 70s Genesis and I must say I actually prefer Collins to Gabriel. Sorry all the Gabriel fans. I tried very hard to get into Selling England... and Foxtrot and simply could not.

On the other hand, "Blood on the Rooftops" is a superb tune.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
gel said:
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Oh dear lord, save me.

I'm agreeing with gel about something!

I'd say they've got two good songs, and one of them's a cover (I like Love Rollercoaster but probably only because it's on the Beavis and Butthead Do America soundtrack).

Sadly, my love for R.H.C.P ended after 'One Hot Minute'. I played 'Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik' to death when it came out. They've become a mediocre rock band and it's a big shame.

A

Anonymous

one mans meat is most definitetly another mans poison( or womans - Ms newsome ). am truely stunned by some peoples hatred/dislike of some musicians

and why is bruno mars hated so by so many writers-I think he's rather good, studio version of granade is rather pleasant.

im not so sure this personal choice/freedom of speech thingy is such a good idea-Im off to north korea where they treat their idols with respect

got to agree with jedward and oirish music though

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Some that come to mind immediately (more in due course)

Oasis

Meatloaf

Blur

UB40

Spice Girls

Radiohead

Neil Young

Westlife

Adele

(Just re-enforces the voting pattern above, more to follow)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BillDay66 said:
The_Lhc said:
BillDay66 said:
Adele - I know, I know, great voice and maybe its me but watching her being interviewed with her 'Brit School Brat Attitude' and unnecessary swearing, chewing gum and general cockiness winds me up to the point where I'm going right off her!

Funny, that's the main thing I like about her! C-ackles like an old witch and then sings like an angel, not that I own anything by her.

Apologies for the unnecessary hyphen but the swear filter doesn't like the word otherwise.

Wouldn't necessarily mind the attitude if it didn't seem so contrived and put on for effect. Cant stand the amateur dramatics.

I didn't much like her when she first appeared but having seen her in a few interviews recently I'm warming to her, seems like she likes a good laugh, haven't noticed much in the way of amateur dramatics to be honest.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Pedej0e said:
one mans meat is most definitetly another mans poison( or womans - Ms newsome ). am truely stunned by some peoples hatred/dislike of some musicians
and why is bruno mars hated so by so many writers

Probably because he makes more money than them, he's written a lot of stuff for other artists as well.

A

Anonymous

ah yes, success, its like a flaming red cape to an english bull.

didnt know he'd written for other artists as well.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
the record spot said:
Sticking up for Rush here - great band PP! Saturday night, Glasgow, looking forward to it!

Clearly I was scarred as a youngster with Giddy Flee from Rash... sorry, Rush and Van Halen. The only Van Halen track I really like is "Jump"... sung by Roddy Frame from Aztec Camera. Still have his live version on 12" single... and love it.

I've only got the Aztec Camera version on cassette and haven't listened to it in years . Way better than the original , thanks for reminding me about it . I shall look out for the 12" single on my travels . Their version would be on my list in the " Cover versions better than the original" thread that I have never got around to starting yet .

Nick

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
This thread goes to show how much we all have different tastes.

There's been a lot of artists mentioned so far that I enjoy listening to. Or at least enjoy listening to some of their stuff.

There's some artists where I don't like some of their records, but like others. For example I'm not into Wham, but I think that George Michael's Faith is a great pop album - well recorded with a nice variety of songs.

There's also quite a few records that I didn't enjoy on my first hi-fi system, but a few upgrades later, dust them off, play them again and I enjoy listening to them. Sex Pistols being one example. They used to give me a headache. Now I can play them without the migraine. Boomtown Rats Mondo Bongo used to set my teeth on edge - apart from Banana Republic. Now I enjoy listening to the whole album - which sounds less distorted, clearer, more dynamic than on my old system - which all adds up to a much more enjoyable experience.

I used to hate Madonna's Like a Virgin and Holiday due to them being played at every disco I went to in my younger days and due to a huge amount of radio airplay. These days I'm happy to listen to the 12" single versions of these tracks - which I now realise are well recorded multi-layered pop songs with a decent singing performance from Madonna.

And then there's jazz. Not really my cup of tea. But there are a lot of spectacularly good jazz recordings from the old days. Play these on a decent system and I can't help sitting there enthralled, enjoying the performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts