Arriving to H-FI world

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to set up a hi-fi system, but i'm becoming to get lost in the middle of reviews and analysis. I know that the best ways to choose the components is to listen them... Unfortunality, i couldn't yet found a place to do it near me (Oporto, Portugal).

First things first my budget will be around 1500€... I really like the design of Cambridge Audio, but I'm insecure about their components performance. I also have been looking for Pioneer but even thought the good specs it seems to be a brand not much aprecciated in HIFi!! I did look to Onkyo... And the more fancy Arcam! Speakers speaking I'm stucked in QAcoustics 2050i and the reason is that in all reviews they appear to be an excelent deal (but is their sound really good?!)l!!

My "needs" are a stereo amp, a cd player, if not possible in amp a dac to connect pc/smartphone/and probably tv... In a near future i will want to plug a phono, so if the amp already includes a phono stage better!!

Some possibilities I fixed in my head:

A. Cambridge Azur 651A (DAC included) + Cambridge Azur 351C + Cambridge DACMAGIC 100

B. Pioneer A-70 (Phono and DAC included) + Pioneer P-10

C. Arcam A19 (Phono included) + Acam irDAC + some CD player (less expensive that Arcam CDS27 or it will blow my initial budget)

As I already said for speakers i look for something in the range of QAcoutics 2050i...

Any opinion or suggestion will be welcome and usefull...

Best regards,

Francisco

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Anyone's first hifi system should be a NAD :)

You will love it.

As you 'move up' over the years you will remember it fondly and repeatedly ask yourself why you ever bothered changing it whilst cringing at the thought of how much you've spent since ...

Whilst at it, dont forget to budget in a turntable. No hifi system is complete without one.

Welcome to the abyss

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

No doubts about the acquisition of a turntable... I have already a some entrance ideas: Rega Carbon or Pro-ject Essential II! Not the finest examples but i believe, from what i've been reading, a good starting point. Has I wrote it will my next perchase (in a not very far future).

Could you suggest me any models from NAD? From what I've been searching, here in Portugal, stores, even the online ones, don't have a significant offer of NAD products...

Once again, thank you very much for your words...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
Anyone's first hifi system should be a NAD :)

You will love it.

As you 'move up' over the years you will remember it fondly and repeatedly ask yourself why you ever bothered changing it whilst cringing at the thought of how much you've spent since ...

Whilst at it, dont forget to budget in a turntable. No hifi system is complete without one.

Welcome to the abyss

I had a NAD years ago, don't remember fondly at all, my Arcam Alpha 3 was so much better and I remember that more fondly than big ugly dull NAD.

I would go for a budget cdp like Marantz 5005/6005, in your country I would consider after sales service, if you buy Cambridge make sure serviced locally. Big Japanese brands seem to be out of favour in UK apart from probably Marantz. There are some good Marantz deals around in UK for their mid range amps like 8005. I think speakers should be your main consideration as they make the most difference to the sound. Yes do some demos, see if you like a sound.

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your advice... In fact after sales services its a main point and I wouldn't yet consider it! I have to inform myself which brands have local assitance near me!

"Yours" brands battle are delicious! I never get tired of reading people defending their home system. But afterall everyone has some right point because the best hifi for me is the one that cherishes my audition... and that obviously differs for each person.

We all want is to get the best performance that our (short) money can buy!! That's why i think the first hifi package can be the more difficult to settle.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The CX range is due to be released this month. This might mean the older series at clearance prices as Cambridge/Richer clear stocks, but I have no definite knowledge if this would be the case.

There are two integrated amps, both with digital inputs and a CD transport to match. The bigger of the two amps is more powerful and has a USB B input, though neither have USB A. May not have all the facilities you need but worth a look.

UK prices are not released yet but the amps should be around £600 and £800 with the CD transport around £250.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx-series

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I had already saw Cambridge Audio CX series. In my opinion it's a really beautiful design line! Unfortunately, I'm afraid you are being too nice about the prices!! I think they will cost at least £200 more!

On the other hand, the CX series released could lead to a reduction on oldest series, like 651 A+C.

I wonder why the new CX series only have one cd transport model?!

rainsoothe

if you're keen on the 2050i and buying new, the Quad Vena should be a good match - you'll only be missing a phonostage - look at Musical Fidelity V II LPS, or Graham Slee.

If you don't mind buying used, find a Naim Unitiqute and a pair of Kef LS50, or some Neat standmounts that fit your budget - still no phonostage and no USB type B to connect PC to, but this one is a streamer so u can hook it up to your router and stream stuff from any pc/smart device that is connected. Great sound and functionality. Use a Sony BDP-S4200 bluray player to spin discs, and the Sony's digital coaxial out into the Naim digital in.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
FLima said:
I had already saw Cambridge Audio CX series. In my opinion it's a really beautiful design line! Unfortunately, I'm afraid you are being too nice about the prices!! I think they will cost at least £200 more!

On the other hand, the CX series released could lead to a reduction on oldest series, like 651 A+C.

You may be right, I was guestimating from the dollar prices given at CES.

The CXC is just a transport, no onboard dacs, the idea being if you want a better CD player, you use a better dac.

Keep your eyes on Richers to see if there are any bargains, not that it helps you but the Dacs have been at reduced prices for a while and the Stream magic 6 is currently £350.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Is a good call if you do not need network functionality.

I like the 2050i too, so long as you have the space to 'let them breath'. If you are tight for space the Zensor 5 might be a better option. Depending on finish the prices are comparable.

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
WOW!

You introduce me a couple of components that I have never heard about. I quickly google it... The Vena is a interesting and versatile piece! But isn't his power output (45W) an issue? Ok the Arcam I indicated it's 50W... Perhaps I'm being mistaken for it size and shape!!

Do you one this amp? Can you tell about your experience with it? And would it be possible to plug a phono pre-amp so that it could amp a turntable?

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
FLima said:

You may be right, I was guestimating from the dollar prices given at CES.

The CXC is just a transport, no onboard dacs, the idea being if you want a better CD player, you use a better dac.

Keep your eyes on Richers to see if there are any bargains, not that it helps you but the Dacs have been at reduced prices for a while and the Stream magic 6 is currently £350.

I guess that it's a good aproach... simplify the transportation to a atractive price and then each one will optimize it with the chosen DAC...

Tkank you for sharing your ideias... I will pay attention to Richers.

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Is a good call if you do not need network functionality.

I like the 2050i too, so long as you have the space to 'let them breath'. If you are tight for space the Zensor 5 might be a better option. Depending on finish the prices are comparable.

What where you refering to with: "good call if you do not need network functionality"?

The Zensor 5 also seams to be fine speaker. How much is enough space to make the QAcoustics shine? They will be playing in a leaving room. It's not very big... area around 60m2 (6x9) but they will be facing the room width (smaller size).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
One of the best ways to play downloaded music files is to store them on a network hard drive (NAS) and use an amplifier with network capability. In this case the amplifier connects with the NAS over the network and plays the files directly from there. Your computer is not involved, everything is controlled from the amplifier using an Android or iOS app on a phone or tablet.

None of the amplifiers we are discussing do that, so I guess you are comfortable with that. If you want to look into network systems Richers are selling the Stream Magic 6 for £350 right now, think of it as a flexible dac/preamp but with added network capability. Loads of internet radio and streaming options and of couse you can stream local files as described above.

The matching 651 power anplifier can be had for £499 at the moment, so the pair give you full network capability, analogue/digital pre-amp with multiple inputs driving a solid 100wpc power amp, all for £850.....*dirol*

The 2050i need a bit of space around them, ideally a couple of feet off the back wall otherwise they can sound boomy and overblown, the Cambridge amplifier has good grip though and with the set up right the combination should be cruising, even at quite high levels.

If you think the speakers will need to be closer to the wall, that is where the Zensor 5s have an advantage. I tried the 651/Zensor5 in a small cluttered room recently and it sounded pretty good, much better control than the A19, which I tried first.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You could of course just circumnavigate the whole hifi upgradeitis marlaki and straight go to some AVI ADM's.

You probably save yourself in the region of twenty years headache and countless Euros if the many happy owners are to be believed.

Me personally, I use cyrus and have done so in the past ... then came back to it. It reaches places others don't but I could quite happily live with a NAD system and its iconic looks, some AVI's or many others.

I am a hifi slut

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
You could of course just circumnavigate the whole hifi upgradeitis marlaki and straight go to some AVI ADM's.

You probably save yourself in the region of twenty years headache and countless Euros if the many happy owners are to be believed.

Me personally, I use cyrus and have done so in the past ... then came back to it. It reaches places others don't but I could quite happily live with a NAD system and its iconic looks, some AVI's or many others.

I am a hifi slut

You got me spinning aroud your "AVI ADM"... It even might be a good solution, but not for me! I might not be yet a slut but i deeply want to try it!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Keep it simple, buy local in case of warranty issues and buy brands which reasonably keep their value in case you want to sell on, trade up etc.

Good luck

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
One of the best ways to play downloaded music files is to store them on a network hard drive (NAS) and use an amplifier with network capability. In this case the amplifier connects with the NAS over the network and plays the files directly from there. Your computer is not involved, everything is controlled from the amplifier using an Android or iOS app on a phone or tablet.

None of the amplifiers we are discussing do that, so I guess you are comfortable with that. If you want to look into network systems Richers are selling the Stream Magic 6 for £350 right now, think of it as a flexible dac/preamp but with added network capability. Loads of internet radio and streaming options and of couse you can stream local files as described above.

The matching 651 power anplifier can be had for £499 at the moment, so the pair give you full network capability, analogue/digital pre-amp with multiple inputs driving a solid 100wpc power amp, all for £850.....*dirol*

The 2050i need a bit of space around them, ideally a couple of feet off the back wall otherwise they can sound boomy and overblown, the Cambridge amplifier has good grip though and with the set up right the combination should be cruising, even at quite high levels.

If you think the speakers will need to be closer to the wall, that is where the Zensor 5s have an advantage. I tried the 651/Zensor5 in a small cluttered room recently and it sounded pretty good, much better control than the A19, which I tried first.

That's good news... 651 sounding better than Arcam! I prefer the cambridge look and it's a cheaper purchase. I have to look for a demo of the Zensor speakers. It really look fine and the closer distance to wall may be a "plus sign".

Comparing the price of Stream Magic with DAC MAgic 100, there's a big difference. And using to pc to play music isnt that inconvenient... If we sum the amp + cd transport + stream it would ecome to leave short space in the budget for speakers. But I have to agree with you its a fine machine and it would be a almost complete package.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I was trying a few things the other day and was played an A19 into Zensor 5s, front end was my Macbook though an irDac.

The sound was flat and dull, the music had no presence, it just didn't engage at all. I thought that the system was underpowered for my tastes so asked for a more powerful amplifier, to keep the cost down we used the 651 power amp with the irDac and the difference was night and day (to coin a phrase).

The combination was so much better I was surprised, the 651 was better in every respect, whether it was the extra power or the lack of a pre-amp I don't know and sadly did not have the time to investigate further.

One setup though, do not take too much from that.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Is it possible to search the forum in this new horrible version? The used to be someone from Porto who posted quite regularly. Was it HiFi Outlaw? It might be good to put the guys in touch with one another.

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
I was trying a few things the other day and was played an A19 into Zensor 5s, front end was my Macbook though an irDac.

The sound was flat and dull, the music had no presence, it just didn't engage at all. I thought that the system was underpowered for my tastes so asked for a more powerful amplifier, to keep the cost down we used the 651 power amp with the irDac and the difference was night and day (to coin a phrase).

The combination was so much better I was surprised, the 651 was better in every respect, whether it was the extra power or the lack of a pre-amp I don't know and sadly did not have the time to investigate further.

At first I understood you were pairing it with 651A... But I was wrong, right? You paired the DAC with 651W, the power amp. That is an unsual and interesting aproach. Never thought about it. Surelly you can plug a cd transport to the DAC, but what about a turntable? Is is possible to connect a phono pre amp to DAC?! Or it would connect directly to power amp?

Where do you play your cds? With this question i'm assuming your home system has this configuration...

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
ifor said:
Is it possible to search the forum in this new horrible version? The used to be someone from Porto who posted quite regularly. Was it HiFi Outlaw? It might be good to put the guys in touch with one another.

Hi,

You are saying that someone from Oporto used to post here? It would be very nice to "meet" him. Perhaps he could indicate me some stores or listening points to make some demos! That would be really usefull!!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
FLima said:
ifor said:

Hi,

You are saying that someone from Oporto used to post here? It would be very nice to "meet" him. Perhaps he could indicate me some stores or listening points to make some demos! That would be really usefull!!

Do a Google search for Hi-FiOutlaw. He has been active on other fora than this one and some posts are in Portuguese. You might find him.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
FLima said:
davedotco said:

At first I understood you were pairing it with 651A... But I was wrong, right? You paired the DAC with 651W, the power amp. That is an unsual and interesting aproach. Never thought about it. Surelly you can plug a cd transport to the DAC, but what about a turntable? Is is possible to connect a phono pre amp to DAC?! Or it would connect directly to power amp?

Where do you play your cds? With this question i'm assuming your home system has this configuration...

Apologies for not being clear.

The 651A is no use to me as it does not have Spdif inputs so I tried the 651w instead. The volume is controlled on the computer (or via the remote on the irDac) so a very short simple signal path.

I was primarily auditioning amp/speaker combos and this was really just to see if the Zensor 5s would respond well to a more potent amplifier, which they did. I like my music to be dynamic, assertive even, smooth and easy going does not do it for me.

The 651w on it's own is not really a practical solution but it did reinforce my preference for better amplifiers, given my listening style I would not contemplate an amplifier that cost less than the speakers, in general terms anyway.

My home setup is the simplest possible, Spotify > AEX > active speakers, no cd, no analogue. This is essentially my desktop system pressed into use as a main system, I want to go better so was looking at options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts