Are you sitting down? this come as a shock...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
I didn't see them for a while after that until we obtained tickets for Robert Wyatts benefit at the Rainbow. We didn't know who would be playing and was reasonably pleased to find out it was the Floyd.

The evening commenced with a Wyatt-less Soft Machine playing a 45 minuet set, with the rest of the evening being given over to Floyd. Rumour had it that they were going to play some new material, but no one knew what, DSOTM had not been released, even to the radio, so we had no idea.

DSOTM was performed in full, in surround sound and included the full crashing aircraft setpiece, it was the first performance, the first hearing of the album ever.

Needless to say we were all just blown away, neither the album nor any of their future work came close.

Oh no freakin way! *shok* I was still just protein back then.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:
I didn't see them for a while after that until we obtained tickets for Robert Wyatts benefit at the Rainbow. We didn't know who would be playing and was reasonably pleased to find out it was the Floyd.

The evening commenced with a Wyatt-less Soft Machine playing a 45 minuet set, with the rest of the evening being given over to Floyd. Rumour had it that they were going to play some new material, but no one knew what, DSOTM had not been released, even to the radio, so we had no idea.

DSOTM was performed in full, in surround sound and included the full crashing aircraft setpiece, it was the first performance, the first hearing of the album ever.

Needless to say we were all just blown away, neither the album nor any of their future work came close.

Oh no freakin way! *shok* I was still just protein back then.

I have more 'been there, done that, got the T-shirt' stories than you can shake a stick at.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
I have more 'been there, done that, got the T-shirt' stories than you can shake a stick at.

article-1352325121743-15e61eca000005dc-30545_466x310.jpg

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
I was lucky enough to be able to get to get away from school and see Pink Floyd in the early days, at the Arts Lab and UFO.

This was the days of Syd Barrett, gigs varied from the inspirational to the totally chaotic, after he left the band became more melodic, the live tracks on Umagumma being a good representation of their early post Barrett performances. I saw them a fair amount during this period culminating in the Hyde Park gig that premiered Atom Heart Mother.

Whoa! I am definitely not worthy!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
personally I wouldn't put pink floyd in any genre, too different, still to this day.

Agreed. I have always felt uneasy when hearing floyd put in a prog rock pigeon hole. To me they weren't trying to fit into any category intentionally, they seemed to be pioneering that laid back soul searching Floyd sound. Letting their minds take them where the music they wanted to play was,and they made that leap from whatever source their inspiration was,to sound groundbreaking and unique. I'd be happier hearing it called psychedelic rock, but that is still a pigeon hole. I think they just played a sound and feeling that they could hear in their heads,and created music around that, no pretence.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
So neither of you really liked it but, because it's cheap, you'll give it a go.

Well like I say, I have only heard it once about 10 years ago. At the time my Hi-Fi had taken a back seat as I'd just moved out of home for the first time. I played the album on CD in the car as a friend had loaned it to me. To be honest the album doesn't really lend itself to such listening as in the environment of a noisy moving car which at the time had a poor stereo in it. Some of my journeys were shorter than the tracks on the album. I just wasn't grabbed by it in any way.

I'm dipping into SACD a bit and because the album is available on the format quite cheap compared to others, then I think perhaps it's time to give it another chance and hear it properly. I might like it, I might not...

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
letsavit2 said:
personally I wouldn't put pink floyd in any genre, too different, still to this day.
Am I missing something.. But sounds like rock to me..

Youre obviously not a pink floyd fan then.. ;) what they produced in their day without cubase is nothing short of amazing.

"define rock though? "Personally" for me Rock stems from Robert Johnson etc. and the blues, it's just white mans blues.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
letsavit2 said:

Agreed. I have always felt uneasy when hearing floyd put in a prog rock pigeon hole. To me they weren't trying to fit into any category intentionally, they seemed to be pioneering that laid back soul searching Floyd sound. Letting their minds take them where the music they wanted to play was,and they made that leap from whatever source their inspiration was,to sound groundbreaking and unique. I'd be happier hearing it called psychedelic rock, but that is still a pigeon hole. I think they just played a sound and feeling that they could hear in their heads,and created music around that, no pretence.

I don't think that, at the time, anyone considered Pink Floyd to be 'progressive', the term really did have a specific meaning and referred to a somewhat overblown, self indulgent style of music, quite different from the 'heavy' style of Led Zeppelin or the 'psychedelic' musing of Floyd.

The late 60s and early 70s were a very fast moving period in 'rock' music, particularly in England, large scale 'progressive' rock really only held centre stage for a few years, 71 - 74 or thereabouts before being challenged by the stripped back energy of Pub Rock and finally blown away by Punk in 76.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
Native_bon said:
letsavit2 said:

Youre obviously not a pink floyd fan then.. ;) what they produced in their day without cubase is nothing short of amazing.

"define rock though? "Personally" for me Rock stems from Robert Johnson etc. and the blues, it's just white mans blues.

and then jimi come and took it back....!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
letsavit2 said:
Native_bon said:
letsavit2 said:

and then jimi come and took it back....!

kane_clap.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
Native_bon said:
letsavit2 said:

That is an interesting question.

Personally I define 'Rock' as electric pop music for adults. I can tell you when it started too, in fact I can put a date on it, july 25th 1965.

Prior to that, it was all 'Wooly Bully' and 'I want to hold your hand', pop music for teanager and the hard of thinking, after that date 'serious' musicians stated to play pop music and they called it Rock.

Strangely at that time (the 60s) black american folk music was more popular in the uk than it was in the usa, the 'white' blues and r&b scene was very influencial, though never quite mainstream. Sure it influenced pop bands, and played a big part in the developement of 'heavy' rock in the uk, but to suggest that blues was the only influence is a very narrow view.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
radiorog said:
letsavit2 said:

I don't think that, at the time, anyone considered Pink Floyd to be 'progressive', the term really did have a specific meaning and referred to a somewhat overblown, self indulgent style of music, quite different from the 'heavy' style of Led Zeppelin or the 'psychedelic' musing of Floyd.

The late 60s and early 70s were a very fast moving period in 'rock' music, particularly in England, large scale 'progressive' rock really only held centre stage for a few years, 71 - 74 or thereabouts before being challenged by the stripped back energy of Pub Rock and finally blown away by Punk in 76.

if you go one step back from Zepelin, say Jeff beck the truth you will hear the overlap from blues to rock.

zeplin was never original, they stole that sound.

i don't like "rock" after zeplin, it lost its soul.....!

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
letsavit2 said:
Native_bon said:
letsavit2 said:

Personally I define 'Rock' as electric pop music for adults. I can tell you when it started too, in fact I can put a date on it, july 25th 1965.

Prior to that, it was all 'Wooly Bully' and 'I want to hold your hand', pop music for teanager and the hard of thinking, after that date 'serious' musicians stated to play pop music and they called it Rock.

Strangely at that time (the 60s) black american folk music was more popular in the uk than it was in the usa, the 'white' blues and r&b scene was very influencial, though never quite mainstream. Sure it influenced pop bands, and played a big part in the developement of 'heavy' rock in the uk, but to suggest that blues was the only influence is a very narrow view.

and defining rock with just one song is not narrowed minded. ;)

rock to me = progressive blues, think I just made another genre...! Athough still can't find one for Pink Floyd.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
davedotco said:
radiorog said:
letsavit2 said:

if you go one step back from Zepelin, say Jeff beck the truth you will hear the overlap from blues to rock.

All blues music is derivative, it is after all 'traditional folk music' and has a very long history. It is the innovations on this traditional base that makes blues music so evolved and vibrant. Blues was largely ignored by white people until the 1950s when radio and the record industry started to get interested, Presley stole the rythms in the late 50s and set down the template for 'pop' music for decades.

The 'white' blues scene in England in the 60s was huge fun and although almost entirely white musicians playing to white audiences the movement was deeply respectfull of the black musicians whose music they were playing. This lead to a great interest in the blues among young english music fans, much more so than there american counterparts. Black blues players who were brought to the uk were astonished to find themselves playing to large white audiences and treated like musical royalty.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Although the lyrics are folky and the choir is churchy, remove the blues scale and the essence of rock is gone.

Rock as a genre is similar to Jazz. It doesn't really exist directly, you have to choose a subgenre.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
The yardbirds - boom boom.

Edit; the yardbirds again, listening to this era due to this discussion Jeffs boogie......if that not blues influenced then........

and plenty of of future rock artist went through this band.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
davedotco said:
letsavit2 said:
Native_bon said:
letsavit2 said:

rock to me = progressive blues, think I just made another genre...! Athough still can't find one for Pink Floyd.

Three songs.

The point here was that a huge star who was not a pop musician could play electric music, in this case a 'folk' singer backed by a 'blues' band with white and black musicians, that trancends all genres and was just 'music'.

Or as Joe McDonald was to call it a bare couple of years later, 'Electric music for the mind and body'.

Pink Floyd where originally a psychedelic band, like US counterparts Electric Prunes and the Mothers. By the time of DSOTM, they were simply a rock band, not heavy, not prog, just a bit unusual.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
letsavit2 said:
davedotco said:
letsavit2 said:
Native_bon said:
letsavit2 said:

Three songs.

The point here was that a huge star who was not a pop musician could play electric music, in this case a 'folk' singer backed by a 'blues' band with white and black musicians, that trancends all genres and was just 'music'.

Or as Joe McDonald was to call it a bare couple of years later, 'Electric music for the mind and body'.

Pink Floyd where originally a psychedelic band, like US counterparts Electric Prunes and the Mothers. By the time of DSOTM, they were simply a rock band, not heavy, not prog, just a bit unusual.

but we are talking "rock" not "pop"

anyway for me rock in my collection stops when it loses that blue soul.......

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
letsavit2 said:
davedotco said:
radiorog said:
letsavit2 said:

All blues music is derivative, it is after all 'traditional folk music' and has a very long history. It is the innovations on this traditional base that makes blues music so evolved and vibrant. Blues was largely ignored by white people until the 1950s when radio and the record industry started to get interested, Presley stole the rythms in the late 50s and set down the template for 'pop' music for decades.

The 'white' blues scene in England in the 60s was huge fun and although almost entirely white musicians playing to white audiences the movement was deeply respectfull of the black musicians whose music they were playing. This lead to a great interest in the blues among young english music fans, much more so than there american counterparts. Black blues players who were brought to the uk were astonished to find themselves playing to large white audiences and treated like musical royalty.

'Deeply respectful'? No. Having deep respect for the original blues artists would mean bending over backwards to make sure that they received writing credits and ensuing royalties: I'm sure you're well aware that this didn't happen in every instance, even when songs were 'composed' with little effort to disguise their origins.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
It's a good discussion, Robert Johnson is the oldest I have in my collection and that was the 30's.

Robert Johnson's music and his famous 1936/7 recordings are, to my knowledge, the first recorded instance of innovation in the blues tradition. Though to be fair Johnson's music went largely ignored, totally so in the US, untill brought to life in the 60s by british blues musicians, most notably EC.

The really big innovation came a decade later than Johnson in the shape of the electric guitar, it was this generation of blues musicians that influened the britsh music scene and lead to the 'heavy' rock of the 70s as we know it.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I've pop-ed few speakers with this one. Couldn't do it with Depeche Mode.

yes man, that has soul. we was pretty funky us white folk with rock a the start....then we f**ked it all up

Hope it was violator, that albums in my top ten and worthy of warming some cones...!

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
letsavit2 said:
It's a good discussion, Robert Johnson is the oldest I have in my collection and that was the 30's.

Robert Johnson's music and his famous 1936/7 recordings are, to my knowledge, the first recorded instance of innovation in the blues tradition. Though to be fair Johnson's music went largely ignored, totally so in the US, untill brought to life in the 60s by british blues musicians, most notably EC.

The really big innovation came a decade later than Johnson in the shape of the electric guitar, it was this generation of blues musicians that influened the britsh music scene and lead to the 'heavy' rock of the 70s as we know it.

yea it something like that I read in rolling stone so I bought his album...!