Are you sitting down? this come as a shock...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Which rock? Blues rock, heavy rock, pop rock, classical rock? For my money pink floyd defy all of these and pretty much any other classification. They were pretty unique and so way ahead of their time. It's easy to bash music of an age, but if you listen to them in the context of their time, they were a really tight and creative band.

That said, music is subjective and there is no accounting for taste.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:
Orthodox blues, with the old boy sitting in a rocking chair, blowing the harmonica or plucking an acoustic guitar, doesn't appeal. Much prefer the British faux-blues, such as Dr. Feelgood, Andrew Rochford, Oasis, Clapton (to a point) and so on and suchlike is more in keeping with what I associate with blues.

Although there is some suggestion, a few years ago, that the blues started not in the southern States, but Russia.

If you go back to the 60s there are tons of british bands playing 'blues', try Alexis Korner, John Mayall, early Yardbirds among many others. There are parallels between the britsh blues scene and the rise of american 'urban' blues in the late sixties, check out The Butterfield Blues Band of the mid/late 60s. In fact check out Butterfield some more, particularly his first lead guitarist, the finest white blues guitarist in history, the late, great Mike Bloomfield.

American urban and 'white' blues was not that popular, they quickly moved on to 'heavy' music, much more mainstream. If you have never heard it, try 'Cheap Thrills' by Big Brother and the Holding Company. The ultimate repackaging of blues music for the white audience and, despite that, a really fine album.

Wasn't keen of John Mayall or much of that 60's blues movement. The groups that had an crdibility (IMHO) were Cream, Spencer Davis Group, The Who... otherwise, most of the others were okay to hear on the radio. That's it really.

The only proper US blues artist I ever gravitated to was Hendrix: He was off the scale.

I am going to be a bit pedantic here, apologies in advance, but the bands that you are commenting on were not, in any shape of form, blues bands, not even white blues.

British 'pop' music in the 60s, from the Beatles to Spencer Davis was heavily influence by american R&B but it wasn't blues, that was something else. Hendrix may have started as a blues player but his recorded work is far too experimental and varied to be put into any category. Cream of course were primarily a Jazz band as Baker and Bruce have said many times, they just didn't tell Eric.

If you want to take a look at blues music in a british context the famed 'Beano' album, officially just 'John Mayall's Bluesbreakers' is a good example. The band have moved on from straight copies of the american originals and are putting there own character into the music. Eric has never played better blues than he did on that album. (if you can find the '40th Anniverary' edition there are a load of extra tracks that show Mayall's early work, the 'authenticity' of this material stands in stark contrast to the more developed rock stylings of the 'Bluesbreakers' tracks.)

Contrast that if you will with Paul Butterfields eponymous first album, again the defining moment in 'Chicago' urban blues and very different to the britsh style which was arguably more 'authentic'. Butterfield's band, like Mayall's, continued long after there most famous members had left, try 'Born under a Bad Sign', featuring Elvin Bishop, it's on 'The Resurection of Pigboy Crabshaw', the best version I have heard.

Both bands had great guitarists and both progressed rapidly onto other styles, Clapton to Cream and beyond, Bloomfield to the experimental, blues/jazz/rock of Electric Flag.

John Mayall is still touring, indeed he is playing here in Birmingham this winter. I met the great man when I was a teenager (some time in the 60s) as my best friend's dad was a painter/decorator and doing up JM's house. A certain Eric Clapton was sitting on the settee! I'd never heard of either of them.

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Apparently their is a new Pink Floyd album out called The Endless River. The review in today's Independent starts "Ah, now I remember why punk had to happen" and ends "... what's blindingly clear is that, without the sparkling creativity of a Syd or a Roger, all that's left is ghastly faux-pyschedelic dinner-party muzak". I don't think they liked it.
regular_smile.gif

Chris

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:

John Mayall is still touring, indeed he is playing here in Birmingham this winter. I met the great man when I was a teenager (some time in the 60s) as my best friend's dad was a painter/decorator and doing up JM's house. A certain Eric Clapton was sitting on the settee! I'd never heard of either of them.

Chris

[/quote]

I went to see John Mayall a couple of times in the sixties. I didn't know who they were but I very much enjoyed the experience, which is why I went the second time. I have never been interested in who is in bands and their cv's and it was only later that I realised that I'd listened to/saw some of the most revered guitarists this country has produced.

The sixties were like that, one minute an unknown band doing the circuit, the next - stardom of different grades; I was very lucky to have lived it.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
relocated said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

I went to see John Mayall a couple of times in the sixties. I didn't know who they were but I very much enjoyed the experience, which is why I went the second time. I have never been interested in who is in bands and their cv's and it was only later that I realised that I'd listened to/saw some of the most revered guitarists this country has produced.

The sixties were like that, one minute an unknown band doing the circuit, the next - stardom of different grades; I was very lucky to have lived it.

[/quote]

Yep, I went to Uni (Chelsea College) in 1968 and all sorts of great bands came and played in the Student Union. It wouldn't happen now.

Chris

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Sadly not Chris. There will always be artists that start in pubs and small venues and progress from there, but too many are artificially put together, managed and controlled to within an inch of their lives and then are heard of no more. We are exposed to so much more now with the internet and perhaps that splits fans into smaller and smaller groups that have less of a chance of supporting artists in the numbers that the sixties did.

davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:
Orthodox blues, with the old boy sitting in a rocking chair, blowing the harmonica or plucking an acoustic guitar, doesn't appeal. Much prefer the British faux-blues, such as Dr. Feelgood, Andrew Rochford, Oasis, Clapton (to a point) and so on and suchlike is more in keeping with what I associate with blues.

Although there is some suggestion, a few years ago, that the blues started not in the southern States, but Russia.

If you go back to the 60s there are tons of british bands playing 'blues', try Alexis Korner, John Mayall, early Yardbirds among many others. There are parallels between the britsh blues scene and the rise of american 'urban' blues in the late sixties, check out The Butterfield Blues Band of the mid/late 60s. In fact check out Butterfield some more, particularly his first lead guitarist, the finest white blues guitarist in history, the late, great Mike Bloomfield.

American urban and 'white' blues was not that popular, they quickly moved on to 'heavy' music, much more mainstream. If you have never heard it, try 'Cheap Thrills' by Big Brother and the Holding Company. The ultimate repackaging of blues music for the white audience and, despite that, a really fine album.

Wasn't keen of John Mayall or much of that 60's blues movement. The groups that had an crdibility (IMHO) were Cream, Spencer Davis Group, The Who... otherwise, most of the others were okay to hear on the radio. That's it really.

The only proper US blues artist I ever gravitated to was Hendrix: He was off the scale.

I am going to be a bit pedantic here, apologies in advance, but the bands that you are commenting on were not, in any shape of form, blues bands, not even white blues.

British 'pop' music in the 60s, from the Beatles to Spencer Davis was heavily influence by american R&B but it wasn't blues, that was something else. Hendrix may have started as a blues player but his recorded work is far too experimental and varied to be put into any category. Cream of course were primarily a Jazz band as Baker and Bruce have said many times, they just didn't tell Eric.

If you want to take a look at blues music in a british context the famed 'Beano' album, officially just 'John Mayall's Bluesbreakers' is a good example. The band have moved on from straight copies of the american originals and are putting there own character into the music. Eric has never played better blues than he did on that album. (if you can find the '40th Anniverary' edition there are a load of extra tracks that show Mayall's early work, the 'authenticity' of this material stands in stark contrast to the more developed rock stylings of the 'Bluesbreakers' tracks.)

Contrast that if you will with Paul Butterfields eponymous first album, again the defining moment in 'Chicago' urban blues and very different to the britsh style which was arguably more 'authentic'. Butterfield's band, like Mayall's, continued long after there most famous members had left, try 'Born under a Bad Sign', featuring Elvin Bishop, it's on 'The Resurection of Pigboy Crabshaw', the best version I have heard.

Both bands had great guitarists and both progressed rapidly onto other styles, Clapton to Cream and beyond, Bloomfield to the experimental, blues/jazz/rock of Electric Flag.

Educate me, Dave. What is R&B if it isn't a derivative of Blues? Early artists like Robert Johnson have influenced artists such as Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and even contempory acts like the Beatles, The Kinks.

Most of music history can be traced in one form or another from the early blues artists.

Robert Johnson even inspired films, the most obvious being 'Crossroads', starring Ralph Macchio. No doubt that duel was inspired by the track 'Dueling Banjos', from the film 'Deliverance'.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
[/quote]

I met the great man when I was a teenager (some time in the 60s) as my best friend's dad was a painter/decorator and doing up JM's house. A certain Eric Clapton was sitting on the settee! I'd never heard of either of them.

Chris

[/quote]

My one (and only) claim to fame happened back in 1980 (I think). My brother knew the local live act promoter. He phoned my brother to ask if new of anyone who would be 'available ' to help the road crew of a certain act on the local leg of a national tour. He suggested that his younger brother may be home from uni and duly phoned me. The act turned out to be Eric Clapton!

I became a Clapton roadie for the day
regular_smile.gif
which was major street cred for a student in those days. Had an amazing day sharing the experience with my mate (sadly RIP) and a full time road crew from Glasgow. The PA was owned by the Stones and weighed a ton! I remember one of the crew voicing a few choice expressions at a certain Yvonne Eliman who kept moving around on stage, causing major headaches for the spotlight controller.

I also remember the final encore which of course was 'Layla'. The crowd were ecstatic and I stood there impassively- didn't think appropriate for a roadie to be rocking along with the crowd *dance4*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:

Educate me, Dave. What is R&B if it isn't a derivative of Blues? Early artists like Robert Johnson have influenced artists such as Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and even contempory acts like the Beatles, The Kinks.

Most of music history can be traced in one form or another from the early blues artists.

Robert Johnson even inspired films, the most obvious being 'Crossroads', starring Ralph Macchio. No doubt that duel was inspired by the track 'Dueling Banjos', from the film 'Deliverance'.

It's quite difficult PP, I do not want to get into semantic arguments over what is or isn't blues, or R&B or where being 'influenced' by a style or a band slides into plagiarism.

Pop/rock music started, really in the 50s, music largely made by and for young people. Sure there was popular music before then, but it was different and really not aimed at the young. In the uk the dominant music was the dance band, largely classical and jazz influencies but formal, staid and a bit tired. In those impoverished times, young people looking to make their own music had to use improvised instruments, they called it 'skiffle', essentially punk rock 20 years too early.

Skiffle was fairly short lived, blown away by a phenomena from across the atlantic, 'rock and roll'. Whilst it is reasonable to say that Presley repackaged black music for white people, other artists, Johny Cash for example, came from a different tradition, in this case country and western.

The Beatles repackaged yet again and sold it back to the americans who in turn turned it into the more intense often political rock music of the late sixties. Bands like the Doors, Jefferson Airplane, the Byrds and a host of others plundered all musical genres, blues, gospel, bluegrass, jazz and especially country and western, throw in some regional variations and you had everything from the Beach Boys via Little Feet or Dr John to The Mothers of Invention.

The uk really did not have those traditions to fall back on so rock developed largely from the 'white' blues bands of the sixtys which in turn produced the 'heavy' rock of the 70s. The variations came mostly from classical, producing 'Prog' Rock and folk music bringing us Fairport and Steeleye Span among others.

Origonally R&B was a quite specific style of black music, fusing blues, gospel and jazz in a style that was both 'eartier' and less 'poppy' than say, Tamla Motown or the work of Phil Specktor. It hit it's peak in the mid to late 60s, when a quite fabulous group of artists came together on the Atlantic/Stax/Volt, we are talking Otis Reading, Wlson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, Sam and Dave amd many others, all backed by the labels 'house' band, the Memphis Group.

They all had big hit records and were so popular that they toured together as the Atlantic/Stax/Volt Revue, all playing in front of the Memphis Group as backing band. They even had some success in their own rebranding excersise, they called it 'Soul' music. They were, for a time so successful that the backing band even had it's own hit records, under the name Booker T and the MGs.

After this time R&B became a generic term for pretty much any form of black music, it was occasionally applied to white pop/rock bands but that was never really appropriate. The term is pretty meaningless today.

Sorry to go on, but you did ask.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Apparently their is a new Pink Floyd album out called The Endless River. The review in today's Independent starts "Ah, now I remember why punk had to happen" and ends "... what's blindingly clear is that, without the sparkling creativity of a Syd or a Roger, all that's left is ghastly faux-pyschedelic dinner-party muzak". I don't think they liked it.

Chris

yea it's out in a few days I think, syd fair enough but personally roger waters for me was taking pink Floyd in the wrong direction, not overly keen on the wall. So I will make my own mind up and not that of one reporter from a newspaper. Chances are though I will buy (to keep my collection complete) listen to a few times and enjoy and put away in my collection to gather dust, much like the division bell. Echos, meddle, DSOTM, animals, wish you was here....ok you get the picture I will still play untill the reaper takes them from my dead hands.....and it won't be on a USB stick neither....

edit monday its out, I'll order it from Amazon then and come back to this thread and add some new funky blues white bands that have been posted here... ;)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:

Verse, verse, middle eight, verse.

Pop and rock music is so structured and formalised that most no longer even notice it. The 12 bar structure holds an awful lot of music together but it isn't all blues.

Pop and rock music borrows and steals from everything that has gone before, and in most cases this is not a bad thing, providing the band does something with the material and produces something different.

Mrs DDC is a huge Muse fan, it is easy to hear all the bits and bobs that they have nicked and borrowed from 40 years of rock music, but they repackage and serve it up with a huge dose of deadpan humour and massive overblown stylings. Great fun.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Curtis Harding - Soul Power [Spotify]

Stylistically quite good in some ways but the band lacks energy and any sense of invention. Crap production too.

For a taste of the real thing, try this......

https://play.spotify.com/search/arther%20conley

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree about the album. I'll checkout the spotify link tonight when I'm home.

Any more modern soul and R&B album recommendations are appreciated.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Completely agree about the album. I'll checkout the spotify link tonight when I'm home.

Don't waste you time, the fact that I consider the Curtis Harding track to actually have some merit, tells you all you need to know about modern soul and r&b, I find it execrable in the main.

Youtube have some clips of the 67 Stax tour of Norway, I saw a similar but more expansive version of this tour in the UK earlier in the year.

Stax records and it's influence on Atlantic Records collapsed in 1968 when Warner bought Atlantic and Stax got ripped apart in the political crossfire. Loosing Otis Reading at around the same time meant that this year marked the end of 'real' Soul music.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

Don't waste you time, the fact that I consider the Curtis Harding track to actually have some merit, tells you all you need to know about modern soul and r&b, I find it execrable in the main.

Youtube have some clips of the 67 Stax tour of Norway, I saw a similar but more expansive version of this tour in the UK earlier in the year.

Stax records and it's influence on Atlantic Records collapsed in 1968 when Warner bought Atlantic and Stax got ripped apart in the political crossfire. Loosing Otis Reading at around the same time meant that this year marked the end of 'real' Soul music.

To a certain extent, I do agree with this, but then again you're ignoring the excellent Memphis-based Hi label artists such as Ann Peebles, Otis Clay, Willie Mitchell and the divinity that is Al Green: this label was producing premier league r'n'b and soul music from the late 60's through the seventies. Blue stax records are amongst my most treasured possessions (yuk, sounds awful) but the Ann Peebles and Al Green records are just as wonderful. So no, not the end of real soul music for me, but the end of a branch of it. The Hi house band, featured on all of the records, is just as potent, soulful and economical as the likes of Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn and Booker T. Atlantic and Stax were great trade marks of quality though and, of course, Atlantic had the great Ray Charles...almost as good a singer as Al Green. But not quite. Ha!

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
And what are your impressions of the album? What emotions and ideas has it stirred within you? Is it brilliant and deserving of its glory or simply overhyped?

I can understand why it has such a following. It's well crafted and it's very much a concept album. The SQ is very impressive, although whether I could stick hearing 20-minute tracks on a regular basis is another thing altogether.
Not sure that there are any tracks on TDSOTM that last anywhere near that, it was quite a normal album in that respect

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Enjoying the hour long video on youtube per your sugestion.

BTW

MI0002972594.jpg

Wake Up! - John Legend [Spotify]

Hard Times [Video] (you can hear the drum mic toilet paper)

Little Ghetto Boy [Video]

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Jim-W said:
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

To a certain extent, I do agree with this, but then again you're ignoring the excellent Memphis-based Hi label artists such as Ann Peebles, Otis Clay, Willie Mitchell and the divinity that is Al Green: this label was producing premier league r'n'b and soul music from the late 60's through the seventies. Blue stax records are amongst my most treasured possessions (yuk, sounds awful) but the Ann Peebles and Al Green records are just as wonderful. So no, not the end of real soul music for me, but the end of a branch of it. The Hi house band, featured on all of the records, is just as potent, soulful and economical as the likes of Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn and Booker T. Atlantic and Stax were great trade marks of quality though and, of course, Atlantic had the great Ray Charles...almost as good a singer as Al Green. But not quite. Ha!

I found the later material you mention a bit slick and 'poppy' and I never had any time for 'the Reverend'. Clearly the music and the musicians didn't just disappear after the 68 bust ups, but I thought that it lost it's Soul as it was absorbed into the mainstream.

Maybe it's an age thing, I grew up with the Stax label, listening to Sam and Dave, Arther Conley, Don Covay as well as the better known artists, the 67 Stax tour was one of my earliest gigs as a music obsessed teenager.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
It is a bit more sleazy than earlier soul. It's about the groovy beats that are missing.

Bored and moved on.

Listening to some Jethro Tull, recorded live at the BBC in 1968, before they became all pompous and boring.

Serenade to a Cuckoo, Cats Cradle, A Song for Jeffrey, I love Spotify.......*kiss2*

Saw them in a double header with Procul Harem, Albert Hall, autumn 1970.

John Peel introducing, brought his own support act, Steve Peregrine-Took and a certain Marc Bolan.

Huge encores, audience just wouldn't leave. No problems, it was after 1.00am when we got out....*dance4*

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Well i was supposed to get the limited edition 2 disk edition of Endless River today, complete with 24bit 96K recordings.

Preordered from Amazon, and was waiting today for the postie to deliver it as promised.

The git didnt have it *dash1*, as apparently Royal Snail are unable to deliver 1st class post in a 1st class manner any more.

Should get it tomorrow.

Not a huge Floyd Fan, but have been known to listen to them when im in the mood for it.

Post my finidings hopefully tomorrow

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Kefref said:
Well i was supposed to get the limited edition 2 disk edition of Endless River today, complete with 24bit 96K recordings.

Preordered from Amazon, and was waiting today for the postie to deliver it as promised.

The git didnt have it *dash1*, as apparently Royal Snail are unable to deliver 1st class post in a 1st class manner any more.

Should get it tomorrow.

Not a huge Floyd Fan, but have been known to listen to them when im in the mood for it.

Post my finidings hopefully tomorrow

You could have listened to the 'Autorip', just to tide you over till the discs land.