Are you buying an Oled TV in 2018?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

If yes, which one, I think I might but still confused as to all the new models and pricing. I think I have gone off LG now thanks to their clicking problem. Which leaves Sony Oled, Panasonic Oled or a Philips Oled. I might well wait until Black Friday and then shop for a bargain. What’s your thoughts and plans if you have any towards a 2018 Oled TV?

Panasonic Oled TV prices revealed:

https://www.hcreview.fr/actus/gamme-tv-panasonic-2018-prix-disponibilites/

They look expensive to me!

Not so, when you see here:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/bct/tv-and-home-entertainment/panasonic-tvs?tduid=4bf6420f04683cb2dae479bcb352b854&utm_source=Skimbit+UK_1503186&utm_medium=tradedoubler

I am tempted by this:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/tx-65fz802b/panasonic-tx65fz802b

LG have the 65C8 which has the Alpha 9 processor, could be interesting at a cheaper price.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
If yes, which one, I think I might but still confused as to all the new models and pricing. I think I have gone off LG now thanks to their clicking problem. Which leaves Sony Oled, Panasonic Oled or a Philips Oled. I might well wait until Black Friday and then shop for a bargain. What’s your thoughts and plans if you have any towards a 2018 Oled TV?

Panasonic Oled TV prices revealed:

https://www.hcreview.fr/actus/gamme-tv-panasonic-2018-prix-disponibilites/

They look expensive to me!

Not so, when you see here:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/bct/tv-and-home-entertainment/panasonic-tvs?tduid=4bf6420f04683cb2dae479bcb352b854&utm_source=Skimbit+UK_1503186&utm_medium=tradedoubler

I am tempted by this:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/tx-65fz802b/panasonic-tx65fz802b

LG have the 65C8 which has the Alpha 9 processor, could be interesting at a cheaper price.
Sony 2018 Oled model here:

https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-31649-sony-kd-55af8-af8-_-oled-_-4k-ultra-hd-_-high-dynamic-range-hdr-_-smart-tv-android-tv.aspx

Here’s The 65inch Oled model:

https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-31641-sony-kd-65af8-af8-_-oled-_-4k-ultra-hd-_-high-dynamic-range-hdr-_-smart-tv-android-tv.aspx

D

Deleted member 2457

According to LG it is. They had one in their office that does it too. I had three that done it. Drives you mad.
regular_smile.png

D

Deleted member 2457

drummerman said:
Did they say what it Is?
Warming up and cooling down, was what LG said.

John Lewis guy said it might be a faulty sound card, but that seems unlikely now that LG have admitted to it.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
I own a 2016 LG set, but I would go with the Panasonic set if was buying one today. Their sets have a complete range of calibration controls which actually work properly. LG's controls are a bit hit and miss and interact in unexpected ways.

D

Deleted member 2457

According to people the LG Oled TVs for 2018 will be exactly the same as the ones for 2017 and really near the 2016 ones, shops like John Lewis said there were no difference between 2017 and 2016, let alone 2018.

Sony OLEDs for 2018 are exactly the same as the 2017 one, same panel the lot.

Panasonic’s are talking about increasing the brightness but it was already dark in the first place, so probably put in on par with LG.

Philips Oled Panels are the same for 2017 and 2018.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Yes, this year for me. Probably the Panasonic or Philips and will be 65”. Need a 4k BD player and think this will be oppo or panasonic.
thumbs_up.png

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I tried 2 LG Oled's and the Sony A1. Yes they do blacks better than LED but not as detail. In most scenes just too black leading to lost of detail. I for one think Oled is over hyped.

Since I got the Sony XE9305 never looked back again. This will do me for at least 3 to 4yrs. May be then would look at Oled again. Yes LED has some blooming especially when viewed from wide angles but the HDR viewing is astounding.

D

Deleted member 2457

drummerman said:
In HDR mode, no LED can come close to OLED. At least not for dark scenes. That is what I saw over the last couple of weeks. Infinite contrast. Even if you take ultimate limited peak brightness of some OLED into consideration.

No matter what technology LCD employs in this respect, the full screen brightness increase needed in HDR will result in a grey screen/blooming to a greater or lesser extent, depending on model and brightness selected.

However, of what I saw its not all a win for OLED.

Colour gradation (rings in fading or gradually changing colour, perhaps its called something else) seemed more pronounced in the LG models I've tried. Even Sony's A1 had it. Banding (vertical or as I saw, horizontal streaking was also more visible.

Tint in specific screen areas on bright white or light grey screens are also reported by some users.

Then there is the potential for screen burn though unless a gamer or habitual watcher of programme content with bright banners (Sky News or gaming) it's hardly a problem. Still, as far as I can gather, burn-in is not covered by warranty.

I am still in two minds on whether to swap my QLED for a (LG) OLED.

Thing is, I love the picture in both bright and relatively dark room conditions. Only a small ambient light. I would never watch tv in a pitch dark room anyway.

Of what I saw its a toss up between the best LED's and OLED as current affairs stand. No one winner and no perfection with either technology. One probably near the end of its life and developed as far as can be, the other still with room for improvement.

I couldn't blame anyone finding making a decision difficult, depending on individual needs.
How much did you pay for the QLED DM? Here’s a deal offering it at £1100 with discount deal.

https://electrical.coop.co.uk/tv-audio/tvs/led-tvs/samsung-qe55q7f-55-4k-ultra-hd-smart-qled-tv-sam-led-qe55q7f-s/?utm_source=hotukdeals&utm_medium=content&utm_term=AWIN&source=AW&awc=1915_1521966337_94a2085f26c621b9719d5fc757018f0c

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gel

Thanks, that is a good offer.

I paid £1299 At JL. - It's currently on for £1199.

JL price match up to a month after purchase so I could get 100 back right now.

Do you think the tv will go down further over Easter?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
In HDR mode, no LED can come close to OLED. At least not for dark scenes. That is what I saw over the last couple of weeks. Infinite contrast. Even if you take ultimate limited peak brightness of some OLED into consideration.

No matter what technology LCD employs in this respect, the full screen brightness increase needed in HDR will result in a grey screen/blooming to a greater or lesser extent, depending on model and brightness selected. Full array LED lit sets with local dimming are not exempt either.

Colour gradation (rings in fading or gradually changing colour, perhaps its called something else) seemed more pronounced in the LG models I've tried. Even Sony's A1 had it. Banding (vertical or as I saw, horizontal streaking was also more visible.

Tint in specific screen areas on bright white or light grey screens are also reported by some users.

Picture noise, very pronounced in bright areas, more so in HDR. - Incidently, the same is reported in Home Cinema Choice's long term test of their 65E7. It is this problem I found most distracting on both the 55b7 and C7.

Then there is the potential for screen burn though unless a gamer or habitual watcher of programme content with bright banners (Sky News or gaming) it's hardly a problem. Still, as far as I can gather, burn-in is not covered by warranty.

Thing is, I love the picture in both bright and relatively dark room conditions. Only a small ambient light. I would never watch tv in a pitch dark room anyway. I also dig the looks and build quality which are superb. The metal remote is lovely but not a patch on the LG pointer remote in terms of user friendliness. Screen uniformity and clarity is perfect as far as I can see and in comparison to other brands.

Of what I saw its a toss up between the best LED's and OLED as current affairs stand. No one winner and no perfection with either technology. One perhaps near'ish the end of its life and developed as far as can be, the other still with room for improvement.

I couldn't blame anyone finding making a decision difficult, depending on individual needs.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:

No matter what technology LCD employs in this respect, the full screen brightness increase needed in HDR will result in a grey screen/blooming to a greater or lesser extent, depending on model and brightness selected. Full array LED lit sets with local dimming are not exempt either.

Picture noise, very pronounced in bright areas, more so in HDR. - Incidently, the same is reported in Home Cinema Choice's long term test of their 65E7. It is this problem I found most distracting on both the 55b7 and C7.

Thing is, I love the picture in both bright and relatively dark room conditions. Only a small ambient light. I would never watch tv in a pitch dark room anyway. I also dig the looks and build quality which are superb. The metal remote is lovely but not a patch on the LG pointer remote in terms of user friendliness. Screen uniformity and clarity is perfect as far as I can see and in comparison to other brands.

Of what I saw its a toss up between the best LED's and OLED as current affairs stand. No one winner and no perfection with either technology. One perhaps near'ish the end of its life and developed as far as can be, the other still with room for improvement.

I had the A1 and the XE93 side by side and found the pictures of the xe93 more natural. Yes the blacks on the Oled was inky black but the xe93 was not far off.

Now in certain dark scenes the xe93 showed more shade and gradients from black to grey. The Oled had the tendency to lose detail.

I loved the Oled very much but just thought it was not good value for money compared to the xe93 which in my opinion did HDR better. Like you mentioned it will largely depend what you looking for in a TV set. Smiles

D

Deleted member 2457

drummerman said:
Hi Gel

Thanks, that is a good offer.

I paid £1299 At JL. - It's currently on for £1199.

JL price match up to a month after purchase so I could get 100 back right now.

Do you think the tv will go down further over Easter?
You could try price matching the Co-Op with John Lewis. Currys might possibly do them cheaper but it will be with a secret code and John Lewis won’t price match.

JL won't price match with Co-op because you won't find them in any of Co-op shops as far as I'm aware.

I would suggest price match now for £100 back, and again when the price falls further. That's what I did with my Samsung Galaxy S8+.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just got the Sony Oled 65A1 from Costco! Picture is great.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
What's happening with your LG then?
My sister has one he E7 and I still have the E6. Haven’t decided what to do with it. If you would like it BB? It still has a 3 year warranty and 3D. There’s barely any difference between all three TVs. Another alternative is I put it in another room. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have loaded a picture of the Sony on my avatar so you can see it.

gel said:
bigboss said:
What's happening with your LG then?
My sister has one he E7 and I still have the E6.  Haven’t decided what to do with it.  If you would like it BB? It still has a 3 year warranty and 3D.  There’s barely any difference between all three TVs.  Another alternative is I put it in another room.  Cheers.  
I only have space for a 55-inch TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

The Sony Oleds are brilliant BB. Reminds me of a Kuro so much, the blacks are the deepest I’ve seen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts