Are we now on the road to the end of CDs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This week music label Mercury announced that it was ceasing production of CDs. This presumably means that downloads are the future. Is this also the end of 'CD quality' mainstream music? I know that there are high quality downloads available from the likes of Linn and Naim, but they are the exception rather than the rule. If the majority of labels make their music available only on iTunes, the future for quality isn't good.

In addition, if I was in the market to upgrade my Nad CD player for say a Cyrus or Audiolab machine, I'd be having second thoughts. Presumably I'd be better off with a machine that plays downloaded material from my computer?

A

Anonymous

Sorry guys, I missed that bit about singles. Mind you if HMV shuts up shop we'll only be able to get CDs from the likes of Amazon. I live in North Wales, so my CD outlet is HMV in Llandudno. Their range of jazz is pitiful.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Linn have nailed their colours to the mast on this one by stopping production of CD players.
It may not be the end of CDs, but imo, it's the beginning of the end.

The advantages to downloading/streaming are hard to overlook, provided your music collection is backed up.

The pleasure of physical ownership of a CD (for me), does not rank along side that of an LP.

As the younger generations come through, with their total comfort using new technology, I would expect to see the tide turn reasonably quickly, but not immediately.

I just hope that an appreciation of quality doesn't disappear with the rise of convenience. My kids are far more interested in quantity over quality.

pete9012s

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Re the post about North Wales cd's......

Ever tried Cobb records in Porthmadog??....bought some brilliant used cd's there over the years!
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

pete9012s said:
Re the post about North Wales cd's......

Ever tried Cobb records in Porthmadog??....bought some brilliant used cd's there over the years!
smiley-smile.gif

Yes but a long way from me. They have a branch in Bangor though. I do tend to buy releases as they come out, rather than second hand.

Reactions: pete9012s

manicm

Overdose said:
Amazon is your friend................
smiley-laughing.gif

CDs are on the way out, whether it's due to the labels halting them or retailers. Your friend Amazon no longer stocks Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love - not an obscure release by any stretch, for example.

My advice is, if you've been meaning to get any physical copies of favourites - do it now.

manicm

Interesting indeed.

The only point I find debatable is visualizing music - he states that some edition of R.E.M's latest has a video of each song - apparently Michael Stipe's idea. Videos are fine, but to attend to music that way all the time, to quote Roger Waters, just becomes staring at wallpaper. Unless it's interactive - Peter Gabriel did something very interesting in the late 90's with his Explora CD-ROM.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
As far as I know there isnt a version of the album that comes with the videos, but they are out there.

It all sounds a bit Emperor's new clothes to me. They are just music videos afterall.

As long as I know where to go to purchase their latest batch of songs (if there are any more), whatever they choose to refer to it as, im happy.

A

Anonymous

just two tracks that apply to this thread

Pablo – Record Shop

The Daydream Club – The Record Shop

A

Anonymous

I guess one consequence of this may be a shift in separates: note that the new Audiolab, for example, has digital inputs. So people can play their existing CDs and use the expensive box to stream, too. Alternatively, if I understood the discussion on another thread about new Rega products correctly, they've announced new amps and a transport. The idea being, I guess, that people will buy the DAC for their digital sources, and if they have enough CDs to make it worthwhile, they'll add the transport. Interesting times for system-building, I think. And a lot of things that WHF staff can advise us on!

I like this thought: transports coming back in the midrange.

Hedgehog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts