Are older turntables better than modern?

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a turntable for the house. I have young children, and i would like them to have memories of playing old records like i have from my childhood. I do not want to spend loats of money and be precious about it. I want the kids to have fun. How do modern turntables built in the last 20 yrs compare to those in the 60's and 70's? Were the old models better? There was so much more demand for them and compertition did this drive the quality up? Some of them look built like tanks.

I've been looking at something like a Goldring/lenco gl75 or a Thorns td-160. Or is my money better spent on a budget used pro-ject?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Better is questionable and the answer will vary from deck to deck. But they were built to last that's for sure, even somehing basic at the cheap-end like an SP25. Hundreds if not thousands of those still spinning records, like GL75s and TD160s.

MajorFubar said:
Better is questionable and the answer will vary from deck to deck. But they were built to last that's for sure, even somehing basic at the cheap-end like an SP25. Hundreds if not thousands of those still spinning records, like GL75s and TD160s.

Choose the right one and you're on a winner, particularly with Thorens. However age and treatment need to be taken into account. Whilst spares may be readily available the cost of servicing may push them out of contention. A good turntable will always be just that, progress has, however,been made in cartridge design.

The advantages of buying new is warranty, and in some cases, this is the only advantage.

Buying old is not really advised unless you really know what you are looking at.r

MajorFubar said:

Agreed: My old Garrard SP25 MKV was robust, whereas the Pro-ject I turn my head when sneezing.

More seriously, I'd avoid old TTs (pre-noughties) purely on reliability basis.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree about a good turntable being a good turntable regardless of age. There were world class - by yesterdays and todays standards - made in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's.

There's also a degree of personal preference. Some people prefer the sort of presentation from belt drive, some from idlers, some from direct drive. Almost all modern tunrtables are belt drive. So if, like me, you have a general prefence for direct or idler drive, you're going to be more attracted to 1950's to 1980's turntables.

Having said that, there's not a big difference in the sound between world class idlers, direct and belt drives. You can pretty soon get to the stage where the arm, cartridge and phono amplification make more difference than the turntable itself.

The point about spares and guarantees is fair enough. But to counter that you can buy a vintage turntable that sold really well and are easily and cheaply available on ebay. If anything goes wrong, buy another and use that or cannabalise it for parts.

Also turntables are relatively simple devices. There's not a lot to go wrong. And the world class turntables from any era are highly likely to be extremely well engineered.

Also there the huge advantage of zero depreciation or even appreciation if you buy the right vintage turntable.

When it comes to sound quality per pound spent you are likely to get much more of this from a wise vintage 2nd hand purchase.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree, but will add that 'wise' is the critical word, and it's the one thing that newbies treading the path for the first time will not be, which is why buying new is usually a safe bet.

dinesh

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm writing from Singapore. Ihave the above turntable from my Mum. It's I'm pretty good nick - finish and presentation wise. I'm looking high and low for a motor and belts. If you can point me to someone or have the parts, I'm your customer. Tks

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I had an old Thorens TD 150 MkII. These seem to go for next to nothing these days.

It had an SME 3009 tonearm and a Goldring cartridge, and it sounded phenomenal.

And... it has an automatic speed change. I listen to varying speeds as I have a lot of 12" singles and can't be doing with manual changes.

I thought it too far gone and bought a Rega RP3, was about £570. Really dreadful piece of equipment.

The motor buzzes audibly through the speakers. I took the first one back as I believed it faulty but apparently not, it's just Rega's dismal earth circuit design.

You have to take the platter off to change the speed. Before long, the belt starts slipping on start up.

The lever doesn't lift the arm off the record at the end if you use the felt mat.

The supplied cartridge, the Elys (if an all in one purchase appeals) is rubbish, basically. Slightly bass heavy, warm, poor clarity, poor soundstaging, sounds very, very cheap.

All in all it was pretty poor, and that's supposed to be a five star deck.

Back to the Thorens - a few hours with my dealer and it's working fine. Can't compare like for like since I never had the Goldring on the Rega, I was never going to upgrade and was going to cut my losses with that one. But, it is phenonenal. Has had oil and new belt which was £22 for an original.

As long as you don't mind fiddling with the suspension a bit (three screws, take the bottom off, wind the nuts to tighten/loosen) and you get a good one I'd have said it was money very well spent.

Anyone want a six month old second hand RP3 after all that? ;)

august18

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Apologies if this is a well worn path - the 'old' turntable versus the new - but given it was pretty good in its day (and still works) - and allowing a possible budget in today's terms of £4-5k - what should I do? I only want to play vinyl - lots of jazz and some 70s/80s stuff - but I want the best sound possible - so, add to the Systemdek or start again? Regards DC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts