Are my Kef Q Compacts the weak link?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the popular CA 640 Amp / CD combo connected to a set of Kef Q Compact speakers, mounted on Apollo Olympus 6 stands.

I'm pretty happy with the system but am wondering if the speakers are the weak link? The sound is pretty crisp and clear, but somehow sounds a bit empty or hollow in the middle (apologies I don't really know the terminology!!). Somehow it just sounds as though its missing something.

Appreciate anyones thoughts on the subject :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd definitely point the finger at the speakers.

KEF Q Compacts use a great Uni-Q driver - renowned for that crisp, clear sound you're hearing - but the speakers themselves are more suited for surround sound than stereo use. You're missing the midrange finesse that some newer speakers could offer.

I'd try and hear a pair of Monitor Audio BR2 speakers - at £200, a superb partner for the CA kit. Would be OK on your stands, too.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

Again, thanks for your swift response! So would it be reasonable to save these speakers to use as part of a home cinema setup in the future?

I'll definitely give the Monitor Audio's a try. Do these have the edge on the Wharfedales you've been championing for so long now?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Wharfedales Diamond 9.1s only got knocked off their perch by the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s in our Awards last year - they're still good speakers (and even better value since recent price cuts), but the BR2s take things to a new level at this price point.

Re keeping the KEFs. Only really makes sense if you're going to buy matching centre and surrounds, as otherwise you could have an unbalanced sound without a coherent sonic signature. HOWEVER, you could keep them to use as auxillary rear speakers - in a 7.1 set-up, for example - where they could play a useful role in adding atmospherics.

But then maybe it's only mad movie-lovers like me who are willing to have extra speakers dotted all around their rooms for added cinematic effect....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts