Are modern Hi-Fi components markedly better than those from 15-20 years ago?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

idc

I do think that hifi has continually improved over the past 30 years, it can't have. Are we saying that back in the 1970s you could not get decent hi fidelity sound out of a turntable, amp and speakers? I certainly remember the sound from my fathers Sony, grandmothers B&O and friends parents systems. Some were better than others, but with the better ones the sound was perfectly hifi.

I have noticed with headphones that more modern ones do deeper more impactful bass, which is down to modern music tastes and the loudness war.

manicm

I'm almost certain of one thing - and I think it's because manufacturers cater to taste nowadays - is that hifi from about 25 years ago beats modern equipment outright on imaging.

Most hifi today is poor on imaging and transparency. I haven't heard Cyrus though which is supposed to be strong here.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, I think there's certainly good and bad for any era you go into.

Agree with idc that people think in terms of hi-fi constantly improving, when it's well known that there's plenty of 'old stuff' out there that will still seriously make your jaw drop! And perhaps more importantly, makes you stop and think for a moment, at the reasons why, given all this modern technology, that it doesn't compete with some of that 'old kit'.

And also would like to know from a personal interest point of view, what equipment 25 years ago left such an impression on manicm?

manicm

Mr Morph:

To be perfectly honest, I think there's certainly good and bad for any era you go into.

Agree with idc that people think in terms of hi-fi constantly improving, when it's well known that there's plenty of 'old stuff' out there that will still seriously make your jaw drop! And perhaps more importantly, makes you stop and think for a moment, at the reasons why, given all this modern technology, that it doesn't compete with some of that 'old kit'.

And also would like to know from a personal interest point of view, what equipment 25 years ago left such an impression on manicm?

My old Technics SU-V4X amp in particular, which gave up the ghost sadly after 19 years.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all who've responded with their general thoughts, but to help me out, could anyone give any additional advice on the following specific scenario:

Assuming I bought the Marantz CD6003 and the Genie 3, would my Musical Fidelity Elektra E10 amp and Mission 733's hold back the sound or would I be better replacing these with, for example, the Marantz PM6003 and some KEF IQ5SEs, MS Aviano 6s or Monitor Audio Bronze BX5s?

If so, any views on which speakers would be a better match to the system.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jase

A

Anonymous

The Genie 3 and the NAD are roughly the same standard. If you want to upgrade, you'd be better off looking at some of the 2nd hand direct-drive turntables (Technics, Yamaha, Denon etc) that turn up on ebay often for not so much, or a Pioneer PL112 or 12D.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts