Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i just read in my newspaper about a streaming device cost £4500
and its said all audiophiles will love this
so are audiophiles anoraks or not,
are you a audiophile or anorak.

T

the record spot

Wasn't the Meridian Sooloos by any chance was it? There are indeed some products out there that boggle the imagination - streaming devices costing £4500 might be one such prime example...!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:There are indeed some products out there that boggle the imagination

Hope not McIntosh, RS!!
emotion-1.gif

Yes i'm an anorak and the worst kind, one what thinks he knows what one is going on about; truly clueless.

T

the record spot

shooter69:the record spot:There are indeed some products out there that boggle the imagination

Hope not McIntosh, RS!!
emotion-1.gif

Yes i'm an anorak and the worst kind, one what thinks he knows what one is going on about; truly clueless.

McIntosh excepted Shooter - been a fan of their gear for a long time now (sadly, out my price range!).

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
dvdaudio:i just read in my newspaper about a streaming device cost £4500

Probably !! And a little nerdy at times but what the hell, we all need a hobby and we could be doing alot worse...!!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Yes: we could be into home cinema...

he used the "c" word...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
dvdaudio:i just read in my newspaper about a streaming device cost £4500

No, but the newspaper journalist who wrote 'all audiophiles will love this' is clearly either lazy or very ill-informed.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Red Dragon:Isn't that part of your job description ??!!

I'm not sure I actually have a job description.

Ok, job title then...as Editor of What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision !!??

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Red Dragon:Ok, job title then...as Editor of What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision !!??

No, that's not my job title.

So we're back to the 'c' word again....

Consulting....Editor !!!

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Back to the original question, I believe anorak is the general condition but the symptoms take many forms. Audiophile would be considered one of the less extreme symptoms. Standing on the end of a platform at Crewe with notepad and camera would probably be considered a more extreme symptom.

A

Anonymous

Scissor_digits:Back to the original question, I believe anorak is the general condition but the symptoms take many forms. Audiophile would be considered one of the less extreme symptoms. Standing on the end of a platform at Crewe with notepad and camera would probably be considered a more extreme symptom.
and to think i thought a anorak was only a item of clothing you wore
and an anorak is a anorak.so a trainspotter is a worse than a audiophile anorak,, then that makes me feel better.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
dvdaudio:are audiophiles anoraks or not

To a greater or lesser extent I think we are but we also have in common a love of music and want to hear it in the best quality available within any given budget. I don`t intend changing my system soon (well maybe an amplification upgrade :) )but I like to keep up with what`s happening and so visit this site and read mags etc. Pretty harmless if possibly expensive hobby but the end product i.e. quality reproduction of my favourite music gives me great pleasure.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
dvdaudio:and to think i thought a anorak was only a item of clothing you wore

Which makes you asking

dvdaudio:are audiophiles anoraks or not

even more bizarre.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:shooter69:the record spot:There are indeed some products out there that boggle the imagination

Hope not McIntosh, RS!!
emotion-1.gif

McIntosh excepted Shooter - been a fan of their gear for a long time now (sadly, out my price range!).

Never say never RS, it would be nice to see an MA6900 in the sig!!
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

Scissor_digits:
Back to the original question, I believe anorak is the general condition but the symptoms take many forms. Audiophile would be considered one of the less extreme symptoms. Standing on the end of a platform at Crewe with notepad and camera would probably be considered a more extreme symptom.

You're better off at Derby - more services go through there: cross-country, north west to East Anglia...okay, I'll stop here. Just to be clear, I'm not a trainspotter, but used to share a place in Derby with a bloke who did. Inter City 125s specifically (and a big shout out to all the trambashers out there!).

A

Anonymous

I'd prefer to say I'm a music and film enthusiast, maybe my parents thought differently after I started playing with record players aged 3......

Ah, the curse of being Alan Norak....

On the subject of streamers at £4k, worth the investment if the music is bit-accurately ripped into WAV (ideally), or another Lossless codec onto a high quality NAS, and wired into a dedicated network router. Naturally I'm assuming the CAT cable will have a PTFE sheath and be suspended off the floor via acrylic noise isolators. Of course the ethernet ports will have been premodified to allow them to be mechanically de-coupled from their surroundings........

Oh my god.......if it wasn't for the fact I'm god's gift to women, I could almost be a part-time Anorak!!!

P.s I thought all WHF Editors (of the C word persuasion or otherwise) were journos whether they stayed or moved on up to a higher tabloid within Haymarket? Lol!

manicm

the record spot:Wasn't the Meridian Sooloos by any chance was it? There are indeed some products out there that boggle the imagination - streaming devices costing £4500 might be one such prime example...!

That would be the new Linn Akurate DS/1 bang on 4500 then.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AlanNorak:P.s I thought all WHF Editors (of the C word persuasion or otherwise) were journos whether they stayed or moved on up to a higher tabloid within Haymarket? Lol!

Surprisingly, yes: being a journalist is kind of a prerequisite for being an editor. What point are you trying to make now, apart from more abuse of the magazine providing this forum and the company behind it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts