Are any rock musicians audiophiles?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Don’t rockstars not have many audiophile set ups because they’d keep getting thrown out of windows, like TVs out of hotel rooms.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
But seems to me many audiophiles are more interested in their systems than music. Thats why they are derided and the butt of jokes. Does having an expensive system make you an audiophile? I don't think so, it's just what some rich spend some money on, maybe more for show than listens to music.

Probably varies from country to country, I know from some posts on here from foreigners they seem to have a different view than in the UK.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’d agree somewhat and say it’s often that those who spend on hi Fi tend to be middle aged people or older who have, by their age, music tastes of their time, but not much of recent music. They are the butt of jokes as you say. It’s ironic that someone who has such a good system has limited tastes, because you’d think it’s the other way around. But of people who like music there are far more who have basic hi Fi systems.

. I like to think I’m pretty open minded and would draw the line at thrash metal or annoying rap, but even then I’d probably find some I like if pointed in the right direction, but I listen to loads of new albums this year. Bought about 30 newly released albums this year.

but there isn’t actually much of a relationship to being rich and an audiophile I don’t think. I think there are more in lower to middle incomes.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have heard musicians are more interesting in the playing of the music and flaws than defects in the hifi system. Mind you some complain about some brands. But audiophiles are the opposite they are obsessed with the equipment, bits of cable, things like cable stands and all sorts of things. Rarely do they talk about the music.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

BigH said:
I have heard musicians are more interesting in the playing of the music and flaws than defects in the hifi system. Mind you some complain about some brands. But audiophiles are the opposite they are obsessed with the equipment, bits of cable, things like cable stands and all sorts of things. Rarely do they talk about the music.

well I tried to with the album reviews I suggested / tried, but despite posting a review only very few people followed up with their reviews and it’s stopped now. But going on a music review forum nobody knows what pmc or arcam is, or hardly, and they do these reviews for each other. But that said this is a hi Fi site moreso, so I suppose you can’t be surprised.

I thought the album reviews are the way around it since you could get others interested and say what you really like. But people just to tend to drop one liners on here, with the album name. Not much insight to what they really like. When you listen you think, its rubbish for my tastes. And there is only so many times you could try most of the albums and think them rubbish

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The non famous ones I have know over the years (acutally quite a few) have generally had very old and not particularly good hifi ....... I have found this strange to be honest but I think there is a big difference between hifi (and music) fans and music (only) fans ..... I have found most musician fall into the second category and don't seem to notice or care that their system is not particularly "good". I think they may have different priorities (as a very general rule)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts