Archos 605 wifi vs Creative ZEN Vision:M

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Hello, I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice. I'm looking to upgrade my MP3 player, and would like to have video functionality included. I currently have a Sony NW-HD5 which has served me very well, and has taken it's fair share of knocks and drops and carried on regardless. My main usage for video would be avi files, so div x is necessary. I also like the idea of being able to plug in the player to a TV and watch whatever is on my player, although this is not an absolute necessity. I've basically narrowed it down to the Archos 605 and the Creative Zen Vision:M. Both seem to do what I want, but I've enjoyed the way my current player slips easily into my back pocket. I do alot of commuting by train, so the size is a bit of an issue. Having not seen either of the players I've identified in the flesh, I'm not sure how big they are and whether this might affect which I purchase. I've also read alot of reviews around them, and what worries me is the number of people complaining about both players breaking quite soon. I'm a bit clumsy, so something that can weather life's knocks is a priority!! If someone could give me a comparison of the do and some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
hi Andy,

The Vision:M's getting a tad long in the tooth now - still a good player, though, with some great deals around.

The Archos is a chunkier beast, but looks promising - we're planning to review it for an issue out next month. Past Archos' have excelled in the areas you're after, so i'd definitely have a play with one/see if it fits your pocket (without being arrested for shoplifting...)

One other point.. with so much video conversion software around, have you not considered an iPod: it's a doddle to convert AVI/Divx files if necessary?

And re durability - i've killed several HDD-based players in my time, but find a sturdy case has dramatically cut casualties. Using a flash-based player is another good move, as there are no moving parts to mangle - and with 16GB flash memory kicking around, you can finally get a decent amount of video on these, too...

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that Clare.

I should've mentioned I'll be using at least 25Gb storage, so flash based players are a no-go at the moment which is a shame. I want to get away from lots of conversion, and I'm not enamoured with the quality of the iPod screens for video. I guess that if the Archos is small and sturdy enough, that'll be the one for me.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts