Arcaydis DM1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I don't know when my speakers will arrive. Ordered them a week ago. Hopefully they will be here soon
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi there

Just registered specifically so that I could comment on the DM1s! I ordered these in early January and they arrived with me here in Austria last Thursday. As they're made to order, that's not bad at all.

I've partnered these with my Arcam Solo Mini and am thrilled with the sound - tight bass, really full range top to bottom - and my ears at least cannot detect a trace of apparent 'grittiness' in the treble mentioned in the review.

I've got Bowie's 'Low' playing right now and it's sounding clean and full. And they cope amazingly well with orchestral recordings - I've run all the Mahler symphonies through them and the sound is fantastic, much better than I'd expected from 'bookshelf' speakers.

Worth every penny.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Bulgakov et al for helping to steer me in my search for speakers to match my new hi-fi system. I have recently inherited a Quad 34 /306 / FM-4 / Meridian-506-CD system which I wish to install in a 7-ft wide alcove opposite my usual seating position in the living room.

Due to limited floor-space will have to have small-ish shelf ( or bracket ) mounted speakers to complete my stereo sound-stage. I have considered the EB-1 speakers alluded to earlier but these are outside my budget. I would fully expect to leave a reasonable clearance from the back wall to allow the rear port reflex loading to express itself adequately; can I safely commit to acquiring the DM-1s for this set-up? Thanks for any advice which will help tip the scales in favour of these apparently worthy units. Jaybe

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:
tosh:Does the max power handling mean you are limited to a 40w amp?

No, but don't go overboard with the watts. 40 is the thermal power of the voice coil. I run these, like my other loudspeakers, with a Roksan Caspian power amp that produces 70 watts a side into 8 ohms and also a 250 watt per side digital amp. Just don't expect the DM1 to take the full output. In my experience, you can hear when a loudspeaker is getting 'stressed'. Generally, if you use a 40 watt amp with 40 watt speakers, you stand to do more long term damage than if you use a 100 watt amp and keep it turned down.

Richard Allen. Arcaydis.

Hmmm. So does this mean that you shouldn't really be using a 40W amp with these speakers then?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:Hmmm. So does this mean that you shouldn't really be using a 40W amp with these speakers then?

Not really.

Running a 40watt amp too loud can drive it into clipping and damage speakers.

Running a 100watt amp too loud will start baking the coils in the speaker (as Richard said)

As always it's a matter of matching appropriate speakers to the right amp for the size of room and the typical maximum volume levels you enjoy so that you don't get audible clipping distortion and don't overheat the voice coils.

If you want 'club' or near live levels of SPL then get something like big ATCs and a powerful amp.

If you want normal domestic/neighbour friendly volume levels in an average room then something like the DM1 with a 40watt amp or 100watt will be fine if you exercise common sense and discipline over the volume levels.

My friend's Primare i30 and SCM11's can go to what I consider 'insane' levels of volume in a small living room without anything being damaged (except eardrums and relations with neighbours). If I tried that with my system I would probably blow something up even though my speakers and amp were pretty much 'made for each other'.

He likes his music loud/bordering on deafening and I don't.

'Horses for courses' etc.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Chebby.

I was thinking along those lines myself but the way Richard put it it sounded rather scary! I'm getting myself a CDP for a headphone set-up and then moving on to amp and speakers. I've been thrilled about everything I've read about the DM1's, here and elsewhere, but this kind of put me off a little. 40W handling power is not a lot, though, is it?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:Thanks for that Chebby.

I was thinking along those lines myself but the way Richard put it it sounded rather scary! I'm getting myself a CDP for a headphone set-up and then moving on to amp and speakers. I've been thrilled about everything I've read about the DM1's, here and elsewhere, but this kind of put me off a little. 40W handling power is not a lot, though, is it?

Agree. I'm not saying they are not good but 40W nominal is low. You may only use 1Watt most of the time but listen to something approaching 'realistic' levels for even a short while will probably severely stress the speaker. That may not important to some (chebby) but it's nice to have the option to let rip sometimes. - Arcaydis also quote the impedance to be 8ohm. Unusual as most bass drivers these days are 4 but I guess as they make their own, you have to take their word for a true 8ohm load across the frequencies.

Watts are getting cheaper, so over-driving speakers with underpowered amps is rarer these days than it used to be. Therefore power handling is rather more important too.

A

Anonymous

I was back in the UK for a few days the other week and picked up the latest issue of What Hi Fi. Pleased to see that the DM1s have come out on top in the speaker Group Test in that issue.

Enjoying these immensely since they arrived in late January.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts