Arcam upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading my Arcam A75+ amp to go with my lovely B&W CM1s and Arcam CD72, either by bi-amping with an Arcam p75 power amp ( if I can find one, as they are now discontinued ) or by going for a new amp, Here are a few of my thoughts -

Arcam A90,

Cambridge Azur 840AV2,

Roksan Kandy L111

or maybe amps by Cyrus, or musical Fidelity, I listen to mainly Classical, but also Pink Floyd to Eva Cassidy ect. My Budget would be about £900, any thoughts and suggestions by you good people would be most helpful,

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

I had an A75+ and biamped it. Even bi amped the a75+ has no bottom end punch, drive or presence. I bought a cambridge audio azur 640 , a much cheaper amp thatn an A75+, which when i biamped with my P75 wiped the floor with the A75+/P75 combo. I would not have thought that the A75+ would have the driving power to work well with the CM1's,especially considering their low sensitivity.I have heard the kandy with the b&w 686's and that combo worked well. Cambridge audio would also be a good choice. I dont like arcam amps so am reluctant to recommend the A90. i have not heard it anyway.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice most helpful, I did read a test report in a magazine that said that the volume control on the cambridge Audio Azur 840 was a bit wobbly which makes me wonder about the build quality of the entire unit and whether I should look at another manufacturer such as Creek or Cyrus or maybe it was a one off.

A

Anonymous

yes, thats been a minor criticism of cambridge audio stuff. the general build is still pretty good though.They are by no means flimsy. Cyrus could be a good way to go.i am not that fond of cyrus stuff though.I personally find it lacks a little warmth but you may like that.Definitely one to consider. Not heard any creek so cant comment but its certainly worth a listen as they have a v good reputation.

matthewpiano

How about a Naim Nait 5i? I had an extended listening session with one and its a fantastic all-rounder which works very well with classical music (much better than earlier Naits in this respect). Its beautifully built as well. This would give you the pace and attack of Cyrus but with a bit more warmth.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I didn't find Naim being warm! Very good amp however and superb with Neat speakers and Densen cd player. Now that is a system that I wouldn't mind retire with :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthewpiano"]How about a Naim Nait 5i? I had an extended listening session with one and its a fantastic all-rounder which works very well with classical music (much better than earlier Naits in this respect). Its beautifully built as well. This would give you the pace and attack of Cyrus but with a bit more warmth.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply I will certainly put it on my list to listen to ,

I have just seen some reports of comparisons done on the Nait 5i, and it fares extremely well especially with classical music as its said to be very musical which in the end is what I want. Do you think it would drive the CM1s ok?

A

Anonymous

Keep an eye open for the Sonneteer Alabaster, it is slightly over your budget but it truly is quite sublime sounding, very natural, sweet smooth treble, tight bass control, up there with the Sudgen A21 as best integrated with out a shadow of doubt.

matthewpiano

I don't think the Naim would have any problem driving the CM1s. I heard it with quite a few different speakers of varying sensitivity and impedance and it drove all of them without any audible stress. It is, without doubt, the amp I'm aiming for when I can afford it. There is a new version out now as well - denoted by an italicised i. Let me know what you think if you give it an audition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts