arcam T32 vs Denon TU1800

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
which is best in WHF opinion, if its the arcam is it so much better than the denon that it does justify the extra cost?

i guess both will be much better than my blik radiostation i have now

John Duncan

Humax 9200......

emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Concur with John but in my case...

Panasonic DMR-EX78 DVD/HDD recorder (or at least the Freeview tuner within) connected via it's optical digital audio output to the DAC.

Sounds as good (at least) as the best I got from my old Arcam Solo-Mini FM tuner section with 1 year old professionally installed FM roof aerial in a good reception zone. (Line of sight from Rowridge.)

(Goes without saying it destroys DAB for quality.)

John, a quick peek at the back of your Humax 9200 shows it has an SPDIF optical output. Do you plug this in to your DacMagic for Audio?

matthewpiano

Not heard the Arcam, but the Denon is excellent. Despite the fact that mine is silver and the rest of my system is black, I'll be sticking with it because it sounds so good on both FM and DAB. Its nice to use as well.

I'm sure the Arcam is probably a bit more refined but I'd be surprised if it really reflects the extra spend.

John Duncan

chebby:John, a quick peek at the back of your Humax 9200 shows it has an SPDIF optical output. Do you plug this in to your DacMagic for Audio?

No - it sits in the kitchen by default. I've tried it (via analogue) in the past versus my denon FM tuner and was at least equal for the stations I listen to, but for radio duties in the living room (which for me is always non-critical listening anyway) now I tend to use internet radio via AE (with Airfoil for BBC) into the DM.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ooh you must get a spare optical cable and move it into the living room one day for at least a good radio play or live concert (especially if it's something acoustic) and have it plugged in via the DM.

Even if you have to wait for the OH to be out. (I know some people have to. Luckily my missus is a big-time radio listener and prefers it to the telly most of the time.)

The 'there-ness' is just as impressive as FM ever was with the right broadcast.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts