Question Arcam T32 DAB misbehaving

TomcatUK

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
I have recently acquired an Arcam T32 Tuner from eBay.

It is in superb cosmetic condition. However, the DAB module refuses to search for new stations and the existing DAB presets won’t kick in.

I am getting a good FM reception (via an external FM loop aerial). The DAB connection is also fed from the same FM aerial. My existing Denon TU-1800 DAB was working well with this set up.

I’ve already tried a factory reset.

Any ideas what’s up with the tuner?

Gray

Any ideas what’s up with the tuner?
My guess would be that there's nothing wrong with it.
Don't be too guided by the fact that the Denon worked using the same FM aerial arrangement. (I seem to recall their DAB39 finding DAB stations with just a foot long bit of wire in the DAB socket).
If I were you, I wouldn't declare it faulty until I'd tried a dedicated external DAB aerial connected (alone) in the DAB AE socket.
This would optimise the amount of channels found, as well as their performance......and it's what that tuner deserves.

Last edited:

TomcatUK

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
My guess would be that there's nothing wrong with it.
Don't be too guided by the fact that the Denon worked using the same FM aerial arrangement. (I seem to recall their DAB39 finding DAB stations with just a foot long bit of wire in the DAB socket).
If I were you, I wouldn't declare it faulty until I'd tried a dedicated external DAB aerial connected (alone) in the DAB AE socket.
This would optimise the amount of channels found, as well as their performance......and it's what that tuner deserves.
Many thanks for the response Gray. I have a feeling you’re right, the only reason I’m not sure is the tuner’s reluctance to even start searching for any stations.

I believe there is a separate power supply for the analogue and digital sections - I was wondering if perhaps the digital side didn’t like the journey home when I collected it?

daycartes

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi just wondering if you had any joy with your T32 and reception problems. I had the first arcam digital receiver which broke and I can only use it through the digital output and then I stupidly bought a t 32, reception is spasmodic either it’s there and it’s great or it’s rubbish. I tried a multitude of aerials. All the other digital dabs work fine in our house even without an external aerial. Be very interested in how you coped.

Hi just wondering if you had any joy with your T32 and reception problems. I had the first arcam digital receiver which broke and I can only use it through the digital output and then I stupidly bought a t 32, reception is spasmodic either it’s there and it’s great or it’s rubbish. I tried a multitude of aerials. All the other digital dabs work fine in our house even without an external aerial. Be very interested in how you coped.
NOTE: old thread @Gray is still around though, @TomcatUK isn't....

TomcatUK

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
Apologies. I didn't see your reply. Short answer.. No. I never got it sorted.

Long answer: I'm trying to troubleshoot this again this winter. I bought a faulty T32 that wouldn't power on, and tried swapping the DAB module, but that didn't work. Next plan is to try a newer DAB module (as Arcam changed to a different module from the original which was no longer suitable).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts