Arcam SR250...

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Obviously more details to follow on this one, but on first appearance this seems a curious beast. Basically a high end stereo amp with HDMI inputs. As a concept I get it, but at £2.5k it seems steep. You could buy a streamer and conventional Class G Arcam stereo amp and still have £500 savings at least in your pocket. And two separate components wouldn't take up any more space either.

In general there must be a market for a product of this type, I just think they've pitched it wrong price-wise. And it still falls fowl of any HDMI based AV receiver in that future new video formats could render it useless. Part of the advantage of stereo (particularly separates) is its potential for greater longevity, although the Arcam does seem to be up to speed with the very latest HDMI/4k/HDCP standards.

Any thoughts? (Polite ones only of course!)

It actually is the best of both worlds. I is a Stereo Class G amplifier with the sweet features of a Receiver such as Numerous HDMI connections and it's got a D/A converter onboard. As i've been told it should be compareable to the A49 stereo amps of Arcam. I doubt this due it's lack of power. The A49 has 200W 8ohm and the SR250 just 90W 8Ohm, which is even less than the A39. If you'd ask me i'd say it should sound somewhat like the A29 Stereo Amp which has 80W 8Ohm. Ofcourse listening will have to conclude wheather this is true.

flak

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
The unit also features a DSP processor for Dirac Live digital room correction with 96 KHz / 24 bit support:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/ugc/tor/sr250/Dirac%20Flier/Dirac%20Live%20for%20ARCAM_251115.pdf

It should satisfy the discriminating stereophile who is also interested in high quality video with the new 60/65" up TVs (4K “Ultra HD”, HDMI2.0a with HDCP2.2) but not in multichannel.

:) Flavio

manicm

If you read the info on Arcam's website you'll realise it's a full-featured AV amp, yes AV, with the only difference being it only outputs to 2 speakers and a sub (I think/hope). So it has all the connections/features you'd find on a conventional multi-channel AV amp, and still has a room-correction facility!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts