Arcam sound

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Recently, I looked at some Arcam amplifiers. I've noticed the fitting of a ferrite core internally around the power supply cable. This is not new and has been done by others. Arcam have obviously been attentative to noise and interference reduction. There are some arguments that these ferrite cores can potentially stiffle dynamics and make an audio component sound 'sat on' (not just amplifiers) as compared to some that dont use this form of interference rejection. I haven't read any scientific papers on this so am not sure if that could indeed be the case. EMI/RFI interference is not a good thing in an amplifier so I can see why Arcam have done it. Could it be possible that their usually polished sound is in part due to that and that the often cited trait of their products perhaps sounding subjectively a little less foot tapping than some others is also due to the use of ferrite cores in their designs?

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I use little TDK ferrite core 'clamps' on mains leads for TV, M-CR603 and Humax. I have had them for years. (I think a couple were free with a hi-fi mag some time just after the last ice age.)

I am not aware of them having any beneficial audible effect, but they don't do any harm.

If the mains cable already had a built-in one I wouldn't bother.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I got some with my Panasonic GT30 tv and thought what the hell are these !

I have not put them on - should I ? The tv hasnt blown up yet and the picture - especially in Blu Ray is stunning.

You have started something now.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ferrite cores help with RF inteference. I put some on the mains cables to my speakers and they cut out the inteference from my mobile phone.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi frOg

Indeed they do. That is proven. What I am wondering though is if they can have an adverse effect on sound quality, something much less mentioned and if so, would it outweigh the undoubted benefits.

I must read more into this subject.

regards

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Hi frOg

Indeed they do. That is proven. What I am wondering though is if they can have an adverse effect on sound quality, something much less mentioned and if so, would it outweigh the undoubted benefits.

I must read more into this subject.

regards

I'd be most doubtful that ferrite rings adversely effect SQ when used on mains cables. How differently do mains conditioners work to make them acceptable with regards SQ. Some cost £1000s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts