Arcam Solo old model vs A19 and BDP752

markyp74

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, first post so go easy on me

It's tech refresh time at home and I have a little cash to play with for the first time in a long time. Cue big eyes and a trip to Edinburgh's HiFi Corner or Richer Sounds...

I currently have an old-model Arcam Solo which drives a pair of Quad 22L2s. A Sony BDP s590 is hooked in, as is a Sonos ZP90 or whatever it's called these days. The TV (Samsung UE7000) goes through a cheap-ass DAC into the Solo too. I love the sound of the Solo through the Quads; even the Sonos sounds good to my ears using Spotify at 320kbps. The main problem is that I get TV audio dropouts through the DAC, which I put down to it only costing £30.

I'm going to add a TT to the system - either a Rega P3 or a Project Debut Carbon Esprit (and any thoughts on clear winners between them are welcome) but I'm running out of plug space, frankly, and thinking about how to get round more wire spaghetti and maximising the Wife Approval Factor.

So. I'm thinking of replacing the Solo with an A19 and using the phono stage built in to avoid having to buy one. To that I'm thinking of adding a CA BDP752 or Marantz UD7007 universal disc player, or maybe even an Arcam BDP-300 so that I've got only 2 sources - the UD player and the TT (everything else can be hidden off in a wee box room behind the telly). I like that the BDP752 can replace the cheap-ass DAC for the TV and the Sony BDP which is an eyesore, frankly.

I'm not worried about PQ at all - but SQ is a different matter. So my question to all you experts is - do you think I'd see a drop or an improvement in performance from the Solo's CD/amp combo compared to one of those UD players through an A19? Or do I suck it up, stick with what I have and just add a phono stage and TT? Or - 3rd option - get a UD player for ease (the Solo is in the box room hence is a PITA for playing CDs and so I don't play as many as I should and use Sonos/Spotify through sheer laziness) and run it through the Solo as well?

I can audition stuff in store, but tbh I don't think it'll prove much compared to a well-run-in speaker/amp combo and I'm not lugging the speakers etc to a demo room!

All thoughts v welcome, hat-tip to you all.

As regards the Arcams, the A19 should be an improvement over the original Solo. The original Solo had the basic power plant of the A65+, which was a terrific sounding amp, but, if the reviews are correct, the A19 should be a step up in quality.

That's just a theory but only way is to have a home dem. Regards the BD players, I've no suitable experience.

T

the record spot

Of the mainstream dealers, you've picked right. James Morrow said they wouldn't exchange speakers if I got mine home but didn't like them in my own listening space. The guy hinted that 'exceptions could be made' but compared to the other two who were/are happy to swap and in Richer's case, refund, the other lot can go whistle.

Two others, Loud and Clear at Newhaven Road, and Retro Reproduction at the top of Leith Walk.

The Marantz incidentally, is a terrific player...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts