Arcam Solo Neo and Naim Uniti Qute

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There's no definite dates for these at the moment, but the Solo Neo should be the latter half of this month, and the UnitiQute is going to be a while away yet - sometime in the summer is about as accurate a forecast as you're likely to get at the moment....
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this David. Bit of a bummer as I was hoping to audition both of these quite soon as very interested in either for my new system.

Incidentally, how much of an improvement is the solo (current version) in terms of sound quality comapared to the solo mini? My friend has a solo mini and I do like its warmth. Would be quite excited if the solo is a good step up from this. Also,is the neo likely to be similar in this regard?

I know they're not out yet but can anyone hazard a stab at potential strengths and weaknesses of the qute and neo and which is likely to perform better. Probably a stupid question as neither system's out yet but thought I'd ask anyway.

Cheers, Eileen

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Solo Mini is a scaled down version of the Solo. It's less powerful, but qualitywise basically the same. Some may feel the SOlo sounds better because of the extra power, giving it a more authoritive sound. The Solo can certainly drive some awkward speaker loads, and I've used it with some speakers in the past that I would never have normally dreamed of putting on the end of a mini system

Wow, I usually get moaned at for "guessing" what stuff sounds like! It's really down to the difference between Arcam and Naim. Arcam is generally a more laid back, smoother sound that many find they can easily listen to for a longer period of time. This sort of presentation helps with 'sharper' sounding loudspeakers. Naim is a little more 'up front', with a leaner, but still fairly warm sounding bass when partnered with the right speakers. If you want to get an idea between the two now, just pop into a local dealer and have a listen to either a Solo vs Uniti, or if one of the two aren't available, even a Nait 5i/CD5i vs FMJ A28/CD17 will show you the different ideas each manufacturer has about audio.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:....or if one of the two aren't available, even a Nait 5i/CD5i vs FMJ A28/CD17 will show you the different ideas each manufacturer has about audio.

A28 maybe (I have not heard it) but I would not recommend listening to the FMJ A18/CD17 for any idea of what a Solo or Solo-Mini will sound like. (Except that the Solos are sure to be better!)

I compared my old Solo-Mini to the A18/CD17 combo once (when thinking of upgrading) and the Solo-Mini walked all over it. The Solo-Mini's quoted 25 watts per channel is well known to be a very 'conservative' rating and I would have no hesitation in recommending it's use with speakers costing at least as much as the unit itself. (So long as they are reasonably efficient at around 89 - 90dB say.)

The Solo-Mini 'sings' with speakers like the Rega RS3s. (Or RS1s if space and budget are tight.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't think listening to a Nait 5i (or naimunuiti) is going to be useful to find out what the UnitiQute will sound like.

The Nait 5i and naimuniti basically have the same 50watt per channel amp, but the UnitiQute will only have 30watts per channel and so - I assume - a different amp and therefore a different sound.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As you'll see from my posts, I didn't claim that they'd sound like those systems. It's merely a way of getting an idea of the differences between Arcam and Naim. The new one box systems aren't going to sound the same as the separates, but every manufacturer has a signature, which shines through regardless of the systems compared. The best comparison will be a Solo Neo and a UnitiQute, but as we've established, that is not possuble at the moment and won't be for some time, so what I recommended is the nearest a customer will get until then.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:The early Solos were basically A65+/CD73T, so I would assume the latest incarnation of Arcams all-in-one would be a good comparison to the latest FMJ entry-level separates.

They would be better off keeping to the A65+/CD73T 'recipe' for Solos than updating them to reflect the sound of the dismal A18.

I know the sound of the A65+ quite well as a friend uses one in his 'second system' with my old KEF Q35.2s and it's miles better than the A18. For a while (until he bought a Primare i30) he was using the A65+ with a Rega Apollo and some £800 Focal floorstanders and it sounded fine.

A

Anonymous

I was was also interested in Naim Uniti and Arcam solo neo. Still havent made up my mind, however, had a listen to Linn Sneaky DS with Linn Majik 109 loudspeakers, and the sound quality was stunning.

chebby:

plastic penguin:The early Solos were basically A65+/CD73T, so I would assume the latest incarnation of Arcams all-in-one would be a good comparison to the latest FMJ entry-level separates.

They would be better off keeping to the A65+/CD73T 'recipe' for Solos than updating them to reflect the sound of the dismal A18.

I know the sound of the A65+ quite well as a friend uses one in his 'second system' with my old KEF Q35.2s and it's miles better than the A18. For a while (until he bought a Primare i30) he was using the A65+ with a Rega Apollo and some £800 Focal floorstanders and it sounded fine.

There's a couple of points to be made: Firstly, yes the A65+ is far more musical than the A18 (although, to my ears the A18 had a touch more detail retrieval, based on various speakers). likewise, about 4 years ago at WHFI exhibition, London the rep at the Arcam Solo stand said that unless I'm strapped for space, then changing to a Solo would be a false economy.

Secondly, if the new Solos are based on the A18, and what we know from personal experience, how can the Solos be recommended?...unless you live in a hutch of course.

manicm

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Sorry, couldn't resist. As soon as we can get some time really - although I suspect it'll sound suspiciously like a Solo.....
emotion-2.gif

Now all we need is a Uniti.....

Forget the CD section, what I want to know is what will FLAC files off a NAS drive (or HDD through its USB port) sound like through the Neo? If it sounds a fraction better than my iPod touch through the rDock on my Solo Mini I will sell the whole kebang and trade up. And of-course with more power my 685s will smile more.

A

Anonymous

If playing FLAC files off NAS driver is priority then it is difficult to
beat the Linn Sneaky DS!

manicm

Yes - Linn DS would be my choice too - but I cannot be bothered by a wired solution right now - be clear on that - Linn DS is a wired ethernet device - yes homeplugs will work but those have their own caveats with the DS.

And the Solo is much more versatile - apparently you can hook up HDDs through it's USB port - if it works properly this would be priceless for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts