Arcam Solo Mini with B&W CDM1s?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have moved into a new flat and don't have a HiFi - after alot of looking around I've decided I want something compact like the Aracm Solo mini or poss. The Marantz MCR603. Room is 15ft (+3ft alcove / turret bit) by 9 & 1/2ft. I like the look of the B&W CDm1s and tried them out with both the marantz and the arcam (the Arcam edged it esp. for classical music for me), but maybe lacked a bit with electronic music...? This is a really big investment for me - throwing everything at the HiFi and going without a TV etc - b4 concentrating on the mortgage repayments. I've got pretty diverse and I guess demanding tastes for a Hifi from Arvo Part / Mahler to Detroit Techno with a lot of Jazz in between.

Does the Arcam + CM1s sound like a good way to spend the wrong side of a grand or would another combo work better for the money or less? I must admit to being fairly concerned with the look of the speakers as they are going to be furniture as well.

Any advice much appreciated - I listen to a lot of music but don't know much about HiFi

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Are you sure that you mean BW CDM1's. This is quite an old model. I used to own them and whilst they make a pleasant sound, with plenty of bass, they are not the most revealing for classical music.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
for around a grand, i would buy avi adm9.1 - an active speaker that includes a pre amp and dac - you can't get much more neat and compact as nearly everything is inside the speakers. what this means is that you just need to feed them with an optical signal from either a cdplayer/dvd/blu ray/laptop etc. in terms of HIFI, accurately replaying music, you won't get near them at the price.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Craig, but I need a CD player & pref. a radio too - that's why the arcam and marantz appeal...

A

Anonymous

Well in terms of musical quality, Arcam is held in higher regard than Marantz. And I would say, as you have found out, that the B&Ws work better with the Arcam than with the Marantz. But beyond that, it's all subjective. Like with speaker looks: in my mind, there are few speakers that look as good as the B&W CM series.

We can really make this as hard for you as you like. Without too much effort, you can get 10 different speaker suggestions and 5 different all-in-one sets and none of them will help you spend your money :)

Ultimately, it comes down to your personal taste. If your question is "I liked this system, am I spending too much for it" then the answer is No, the price is right (in fact, that system would have gone for nearly 2500 euro before the credit crunch). If your question is "I have heard two options, what else is there in the world" than be careful what you wish for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts