Arcam Solo Mini: Underwhelmed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was wondering if somebody could help me with a bit of a noob question,

After many months of pondering whether to upgrade to better seperates or a new one-box solution, I've finally bitten the bullet and bought an Arcam Solo Mini and Mordaunt Short Aviano 1s. However, having got it home and set it up, after a couple of hours listen, I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is on my old Cambridge Audio A5, Denon TU-1800DAB, Philips CD Recorder and Eltax Monitors.

Before anyone shouts "Wait for it to burn in a bit", I'm well aware that it'll take a good while before sounding at its best. And don't get me wrong, I love the full-bodied warmth and much better accuracy in complex classical music when listening to CD on my new system over the old one. It is definitely an improvement.

What I am totally disappointed with, however, is the DAB's performance - I'm not really sure it betters any common or garden cheapo DAB. It certainly isn't a patch on the Denon, although I perhaps wasn't expecting it to equal it, it sounds totally boneless.

I live in a flat where, I'm pretty sure there's a DAB roof aerial. If I connected it to this, would this improve the SQ? (There isn't any interference or drop-out so I think the signal's fine).And (sorry for the ignorant noob question) what do you call DAB connector cables? And what would you recommend?

Also, and this is crucial as to how happy I will be living with my new kit, if I stream high quality files to the Arcam via my PC and a squeezebox touch (320kbs and perhaps flac), will the SQ be similar to that of the Arcam's CD player? This is how I plan to listen to most of my music but am yet to buy the squeezebox. If the SQ will be comparable to that of the CD player, I'll be happy but otherwise, I'm not so sure and am beginning to wonder whether I should have waited and saved up for a neo.

Sorry for spraffing but hope someone can help. thanks in advance to anyone who can advise,

Eileen

I used to have the Cambridge A5, albeit only for two days - didn't like it. So I swaped it for Arcam Alpha 7 which was a vast improvement. It sounds like a combination of 'running in' and also your ears adjusting to the different dynamics, deatil etc. It's taken me a few days to start fully appreciating my new amp.

DAB radio, my favourite subject
emotion-4.gif
. I've found, when testing a DAB radio the signal can be very 'hit and miss'. Moreover, the overall SQ is rubbish compared to FM; very tinny, lacking any muscle or depth. I wouldn't blame your new "Mini", the quality of DAB still has some way to go before it becomes acceptable.

A

Anonymous

many thanks plastic penguin - much appreciated.

Do I take it then that connecting the dab to the outside aerial won't make much difference to the SQ?

I do enjoy the SQ of the CD player but will be listening mostly to audio streams via a squeezebox. I guess I need a bit of reassurance that SQ through this set-up, with high bitrates, will be comparable to that of the Arcam's CD player. If so, I could happily live with that.

Although, I do wish I'd given a bit more thought to the amplification side of things - ideally, I'd like a bit more muscle from a more powerful system but being a stingy scottish student couldn't stomach splurging twice as much on an arcam neo or cluttering up my room with seperates.

One more thing, as a budget piece of kit, would it make any difference if I biwired the speakers, or is that something only for more expensive seperates?

Thanks again plastic penguin

Eileen

PS been reading your thread about your poor old leema - really hope you get a replacement soon and that it all goes smoothly

That's a 64,000 dollar question: usually the strength of DAB or availability more like is done by post code. When I check my code DAB signal is available, however, I couldn't pick-up digital station. In fact, two blocks down from where I live they can't even pick-up Freeview TV signal.

Can't comment on streaming, I know absolutely nothing about it.

My experience of bi-wiring is that, unless your bi-amping a power amp, there's only a slight difference. But it's neither worse or better than single wired.

There's only one suggestion about extra power, but it's going to cost: Either an amp change or change your speakers to something better matched with your Arcam. I've personally loved Arcam and Monitor Audio - the perfect synergy (as near as one can get).

Thanks for asking about my Leema, it's a pain rather than anything terminal. All the noises from Leema suggest it's a simple earthing problem.

Hope this helps

Cheers, pp.

A

Anonymous

thanks pp,

i demoed in richer sounds so couldn't test any monitor audios. And its probably too late to take the avianos back now they're out of the box.

The thing that disappointed me about the dab was how unfavourably it compared to my trusty old denon tu1800. I was really hoping for an all-round upgrade, which, i guess with an alll-in-one system at the arcam's price was probably asking for a bit too much.

I guess i shouldn't grumble as this won't be my main source and i do liker the CD's sound. As long as the amp copes similarly with streamed music as it does with the CD payer, I'll be happy. It is an improvement on my old system just maybe not quite as significant as I would have liked.

Thanks too for the info on biwiring - I'll give it a miss.

Glad to hear your leema problems aren't terminal.

Thanks, Eileen

humblecrow76:

thanks pp,

i demoed in richer sounds so couldn't test any monitor audios. And its probably too late to take the avianos back now they're out of the box.

The thing that disappointed me about the dab was how unfavourably it compared to my trusty old denon tu1800. I was really hoping for an all-round upgrade, which, i guess with an alll-in-one system at the arcam's price was probably asking for a bit too much.

I guess i shouldn't grumble as this won't be my main source and i do liker the CD's sound. As long as the amp copes similarly with streamed music as it does with the CD payer, I'll be happy. It is an improvement on my old system just maybe not quite as significant as I would have liked.

Thanks too for the info on biwiring - I'll give it a miss.

Glad to hear your leema problems aren't terminal.

Thanks, Eileen

How long have you had your speakers? if it's less than a month they'll usually change or refund the amount. Might be worth calling them.

Also, as regards upgrading. As I've found from years of experiencing, the gains are generally small. But within a couple of days you identify the dynamic swings, detail resolution and bass definition. Certainly, Arcam produce immensely musical amplifiers (I've had Arcam amps for close on 14 years) and love'um. if, for instance, Leema come back with bad news I wouldn't hesitate buying another Arcam amp.

matthewpiano

The Avianos are good speakers. Don't rush at anything yet.

If the CD sound is what you want then I'm sure the Squeezebox will sound every bit as good. It sounds to me like DAB is letting the side down!

The Denon TU1800DAB is the best DAB tuner for anything like reasonable money so I'm not surprised that the Arcam doesn't quite match it!

A

Anonymous

thanks all for the above reassurance. Admittedly, its still early days for the speakers in terms of running in so if I'm happy with the sound of the CD player now, thats the main thing as hopefully it'll improve a bit more over time. Glad to hear a squeezebox with it should sound similar. This was my major worry as this will be my major source.

To reiterate, though, would connecting the arcam to the flat's outside DAB aerial (I'm pretty sure it has one) help its sound along significantly? (There don't seem to be any dropouts when using the supplied indoor aerial). And if so what are the cables called which'll connect to the aerial socket? Does internet radio SQ fare better than DAB or should I be prepared for an equally boneless sund? got to admit, I'm half tempted to keep the Denon but the whole point of my new goodies was to de-clutter.

Thanks again,

Eileen

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you definitely need to connect to the outside world. My DAB reception was useless until I connected my Onkyo to my TV aerial and it now works brilliantly - so maybe you won't need to find that DAB aerial, just a splitter for your TV socket.

John Duncan

romseyraver:Sounds like you definitely need to connect to the outside world. My DAB reception was useless until I connected my Onkyo to my TV aerial and it now works brilliantly - so maybe you won't need to find that DAB aerial, just a splitter for your TV socket.

emotion-21.gif

That'll do for starters. Furthermore, i've found sound quality of some internet stations very good indeed (though it has its fair share of 32kbps horrors).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts