arcam or rotel

matthewpiano

The Arcam. Rotel amps are excellent but they are not particularly warm. As an alternative to the Arcam, you should also look at NAD - the C326BEE strikes a very good tonal balance and is well worth an audition.

What source and speakers do you have? Both will sound wonderful with different partners.

Contrary to popular consensus, Arcam isn't a warm sounding amp as many believe. Instead it has a very open and airy midrange and detailed treble. However, the bass, although solid, can sound like a full-fat variety, but, oddly enough, the A70 falls a little flat in the lower frequencies.

A

Anonymous

the speakers are bose Acoustimass 5 Series.the cd player cambridge azur 640c,and i stream music through a laptop useing a cambridge dac magic with a lvl 2 conversion .

A

Anonymous

the speakers are soon to go the worst idea i have had .but thay have lasted while the kids where in there stick there fingers into everything mode which is more than my floorstanders would have

matthewpiano:PP - I think the A75 is simply a more powerful version of your A65 is it not? In which case it should have a fairly earthy and organic sound that might well suit the OP...

Sorry to the OP. I didn't look properly, I thought it was the A70....
emotion-10.gif

A75 is more powerful by 10 watts. I think, also, although could be wrong, Arcam actually ceased production before the A65 which tells you something. Certainly non of my fav retailers ever had it on dem or in stock. I remember asking Infidelity about the A75, and bluntly said: don't bother. In simple terms if you want the A75 buy its smaller sibling.

Back to this warmth thing with Arcam, it would be a fair comment about the Alpha range: They were pretty rich in character but the DIVA range is far less so. If it is warm then so is Creek and Roksan...

...Joelsim would probably back me up on that: he commented about his new set-up sounding oven-like compared to the Arcam character.

matthewpiano

As PP said, the A70, which replaced both the A65 and the A75, was a let-down and lacked the abilities of its predecessors.

I agree with PP that the DiVA amps aren't overly warm but the A65 does have a depth to its sound that might appeal.

With a 640C as source I'd certainly avoid the Rotel if you like a warm sound as things might get a bit clinical with that combination. The Cambridge might match an A65 very nicely, although the ideal partner is the CD73T.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the advice .but do you think a roksan kandy 2 would be a warm sounding amp or did you meen the older models?.

aversaurus:thanks for the advice .but do you think a roksan kandy 2 would be a warm sounding amp or did you meen the older models?.

If you mean the K2 then the answer would 'yes' and 'no'. But to compare the K2 with the aforementioned amps is a slight mis-match. The K2 retails around £900.

The Roksan has a crunching bass, well detailed and very powerful, whereas the Rotel and Arc mentioned will have a little less of the all-round ability.

Don't get too hung up on the 'warm' thing. I interpret the Arcam and Roksan as having a full bodied sound, as opposed to a bright, almost sharp character.

A

Anonymous

i agree with plastic penguin, arcam is not warm but i would rather say honest.mid range is really open and airy, clear. very fast speed wise. bass is not so forward and i dont find it as punchy or attacking as rotel.treble is clear but again not bright or mellow just honest

A

Anonymous

I would avoid the arcam on the grounds that its just not a very good amplifier. I had one and really wished i hadn't bought it. It has a good clear midrange and extended treble, without being bright, but the bass performance is poor. It is a little mushy and has no balls. if you play anything that requires a bit of oomph it just can't do it and it can make music sound dull and flat as a consequence. I got a p75 power amp cheap which i added and that improved the sound in some areas but not the bass. I ended up analysing music instead of enjoying it. It was 50 w a channel but sounded like a lot less. .
I have not heard a rotel in a long time so I cant comment on it too much other than i think it would give a better bass performance and have more drive and guts.Have you considered nad amps? They add a little warmth but also have plenty of guts and slam when required.That's what i have now and am v happy with it.

I agree, the Arcams achilles heel is a slightly loose bass, but bi-amping should tighten things; on the Arcams I've heard bi-amped (not recently) the bass is more expressive and the midrange detail is improved...

However, is anything perfect? if there is, I haven't heard it...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts