Arcam MS250 Music Server

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Seen a load of these for sale on a certain auction site. Has anyone heard it? if so, what does it sound like and, in layman's terms, will it give me all the facilities I'll ever need?

PP, for me, if you are going to get an external DAC, this is a complete waste of money. If you are looking at it doing everything, I believe you could spend £200 (second hand Beresford and something like the Western Digital Live) and a 1tb HDD and beat the sound quality whilst adding video and photo playback too.

Trouble is I'm trying to achieve it with minimal boxes. Going by the review of the Olive they said the SQ will stuggle to match a decent budget CDP. If that's the case then the more affordables ones aren't going to be the answer.

Separate DACs like the Beresford or Western will they be good enough to make the most of the Leema? At least going the Server route I'll have a built-in DAC (albeit not as flexible than a separate) and I can still use the DVD player or Blu-Ray when I get it.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Trouble is I'm trying to achieve it with minimal boxes. Going by the review of the Olive they said the SQ will stuggle to match a decent budget CDP. If that's the case then the more affordables ones aren't going to be the answer.

Separate DACs like the Beresford or Western will they be good enough to make the most of the Leema? At least going the Server route I'll have a built-in DAC (albeit not as flexible than a separate) and I can still use the DVD player or Blu-Ray when I get it.

I see your predicament. The media players need a DAC to compete with excellent cd players, on their own they would sound poor. Have you thought of just buying a decent laptop and external DAC? You would then only have one small permanent box (DAC). You could even get the Chordette Gem and connect to the laptop using Bluetooth (no wires).

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

I see your predicament. The media players need a DAC to compete with excellent cd players, on their own they would sound poor. Have you thought of just buying a decent laptop and external DAC? You would then only have one small permanent box (DAC). You could even get the Chordette Gem and connect to the laptop using Bluetooth (no wires).

Good suggestion, but here's the other problem: I have a substantial music library of vinyl & CDs. These have outgrown our bungalow, so I need another way of storage eg. Music Server and to stream directly to the Server. Now, I also need to play my existing cds, DVDs and records, so I'm thinking about selling the 73T and buying a Blu-Ray player which will enable me to cds as well as DVDs....

Think I've covered all scenarios....
emotion-7.gif

Edit - I'm hopefully (snow permitting) going to listen to the Olive 3HD over at Kingston and I'll take my CDP over get a direct comparison with SQ.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Good suggestion, but here's the other problem: I have a substantial music library of vinyl & CDs. These have outgrown our bungalow, so I need another way of storage eg. Music Server and to stream directly to the Server. Now, I also need to play my existing cds, DVDs and records, so I'm thinking about selling the 73T and buying a Blu-Ray player which will enable me to cds as well as DVDs....

emotion-7.gif

Edit - I'm hopefully (snow permitting) going to listen to the Olive 3HD over at Kingston and I'll take my CDP over get a direct comparison with SQ.

If you were to get the same as me - the Popcorn Hour A-200 with a 1TB HDD inside it (your server), you could stream from your PC as well as having another back up on the PCH. I know it's two boxes but the PCH and a DAC like the DacMagic are very small and probably smaller than one full size component like the Arcam. You would then still have a bluray player to connect to the DAC for cds (you will soon stop using them!). Setting up is very straightforward and as mentioned before, I'm willing to help out.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

emotion-7.gif

If you were to get the same as me - the Popcorn Hour A-200 with a 1TB HDD inside it (your server), you could stream from your PC as well as having another back up on the PCH. I know it's two boxes but the PCH and a DAC like the DacMagic are very small and probably smaller than one full size component like the Arcam. You would then still have a bluray player to connect to the DAC for cds (you will soon stop using them!). Setting up is very straightforward and as mentioned before, I'm willing to help out.

The reason for mentioning the Arcam MS is because the synergy with the Leema is fabulous, and on paper, seems to give me what I'm looking for. Oh dear, that's some revelation....

That sounds good. How much would that lot set me back (ballpark figure of course)?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The PCH is £160 and Amazon sell them with a 1TB drive installed for £250. You can get a 2TB HDD for £70 and install yourself but I know you would prefer it already done. DAC's - well, Caiman for £200, DacMagic, Arcam DAC, Rega, Moon, all under £500. So, there you go.

Gerrardasnails:The PCH is £160 and Amazon sell them with a 1TB drive installed for £250. You can get a 2TB HDD for £70 and install yourself but I know you would prefer it already done. DAC's - well, Caiman for £200, DacMagic, Arcam DAC, Rega, Moon, all under £500. So, there you go.

Thanks, Gerrard. This has given me another option. Talking all in for around £600 give or take is better than £900 for the MS. Will I be able to stream films as well as music?

God, I'm such a dunce with this caper....
emotion-7.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Gerrardasnails:The PCH is £160 and Amazon sell them with a 1TB drive installed for £250. You can get a 2TB HDD for £70 and install yourself but I know you would prefer it already done. DAC's - well, Caiman for £200, DacMagic, Arcam DAC, Rega, Moon, all under £500. So, there you go.

Thanks, Gerrard. This has given me another option. Talking all in for around £600 give or take is better than £900 for the MS. Will I be able to stream films as well as music?

God, I'm such a dunce with this caper....
emotion-7.gif

Yes, you will be able to stream films and watch them via the HDD, access digital radio stations, YouTube and lots more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts