Arcam IR Dock hum Problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi
Just got the irdock from Arcam . Connected it up to my amp Exposure Integrated X. Had to go in via the tape in as I have no aux, As soon as I connected the power supply to the Irdock I got a nasty hum. I have tried isolating the power supply but still the same problem. Any suggestions. This is very disappointing!

manicm

I would say temporarily free up your Aux input and connect there and test again, then you'll know if it's an input issue or not.

EDIT:

Rememer, Arcam recommends the Tape input on their own Solo products, not necessarily on other makes.

Also, try moving the dock further away from the amp and/or other components.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the same issue, although it's not apparent at low volumes. I have the dock connected to the CD input, but as far as I'm aware it shouldn't matter which input is being used. I've tried moving the dock around and repositioning the cables but that seems to have no effect at all. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has noticed this, or who has a solution.

manicm

Jame5:

I have noticed the same issue, although it's not apparent at low volumes. I have the dock connected to the CD input, but as far as I'm aware it shouldn't matter which input is being used. I've tried moving the dock around and repositioning the cables but that seems to have no effect at all. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has noticed this, or who has a solution.

Where is your irDock situated?

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I have mine connected via CD-R/TAPE no sound of any hum so not an issue for me. I would follow the route of making sure no cables over lay onto the power supply or the phono cable as i have read that close or over lapping cables can cause interference especially if using lesser quality cables(not opening a debate). Which brings me onto my next route which would be to borrow an upgrade of phono cable (a better quality / sheilded one) to see if this makes a difference. I would borrow not buy as it my not be the issue. Next i would look to borrow a different amp to see what happens. Other things you could do try a different dock of the same make , try different dock of a different make , check how secure the connection of the dock plug to the socket is , clean connection points(amp/dock). It really depends how much effort you want to put into it to resolve the issue till you give up. Unfortunately hums are not the easiest of things to resolve anyway good luck.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks very much for the pointers.

I have the dock sitting on top of the amp at the moment, but moving it away makes no difference to the hum. The power cable for the dock does cross one of the speaker cables and the interconnects cross both of the speaker cables.

manicm

Jame5:

Thanks very much for the pointers.

I have the dock sitting on top of the amp at the moment, but moving it away makes no difference to the hum. The power cable for the dock does cross one of the speaker cables and the interconnects cross both of the speaker cables.

See if you can isolate the power cord from the speaker cables.

Failing that, I would take the dock back to your dealer and test.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Nothing seems to be working, but i think I've realised what the problem is (or isn't). I've read that the irDock's output is of a lower voltage than other sources (e.g. a CD player), thus requiring the amp to be turned up higher to achieve a normal volume level. Therefore, I think that the only reason I'm noticing a hum is because the amp is cranked up higher than it normally would be. Presumably, all but the best amps will hum a bit when cranked up to 12 o'clock.

manicm

Jame5, I have the original rDock and iPod touch - and yes you have to raise the volume a bit as compared to other sources, but I don't experience any hum even when the iPod is stopped.

It's not an inexpensive piece of kit and I would still suggest you take it back to your dealer for testing.

BTW - I'm also thinking of getting the irDock cos my Touch won't charge in the original.

manicm

Also, which interconnect are you using? I'm using the slightly costly Chord Cobra 3 but find it excellent. The cheaper Chord Crimson would also be good - Chord's cables seem to have good isolation.

If you're using an el-cheapo cable then this might be your problem.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have this dock and use it all the time. However I'm using it with the Arcam Solo Mini and goes into the tape input in the rear (as advised by Arcam).

My cables (power/speakers) are in a bit of a mess at the rear of the system with power cables/speaker cable etc bundled together and there is no hum.

I do need to tidy the cable situation up but just can't bring myself to turn it all of and unplug everything, just enjoying the music too much!!

I would suggest what others have and take it back to the shop to try it out or get a replacement if it is faulty.

It is I believe the best sounding ipod dock on the market so it is worth sorting out and keeping.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

This is my first jump into Hi-fi and my old system was a 15 year old Technics mini system.

Although over the years I have learnt to understand if a sound sounds good or not. It's not just the case of if its got lots of bass then it must be good, maybe in my younger years but now it has to tick the mid range clarity and openess and there is nothing like a nice clean crisp treble to complement the lower mid bass range.

I bought the Arcam kit with Muso's simply down to space options. Some people have siad dont bother with the Muso's.

I have the speakers on a mdf cabinet around 1.5 metres apart (simply down to location and space options). I'm using the supplied Atlas 2 speaker cables which were supplied which are basic cables so and upgrade on the cables could improve things.

At first the Muso's were a bit muddled and the mid was good but not as good as I wanted and the treble was quite harsh. I then had a play with the positioning of the speakers and also added some atacama isolation pads to the bottom of the speakers then on top of the isolation mat that is provided with the speakers.

This made a difference and mid range is more clearer and the treble has sorted its self out. Even the bass is more controlled and deeper as I'm able to turn the bass setting up as before the bass was just thudding (I think I just made that word up!) even on the lower bass settings.

Now listening is enjoyable form both cd and Ir dock. My music tastes vary from old school hip hop, soul, folk, r&b, dance. It maybe hasn't got the deep bass punch on the dance tracks but it is good, but hey these are only small speakers and they sound open and detailed.

I would recommend them but it all comes down to your own personal sound taste, what you listen to, positioning etc.

If you have the oppourtunity I would give them a demo and put them up against the Wharfdale diamonds, BR2's, B&W 685's etc that people seem to recommend. I haven't listened to any of these but if you can I think you may be surprised.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Just to clear this one up, in case anyone is experiencing the same issue, the problem seems to have been that the irdock wasn't earthed. A thin wire from the irdock to earth has eliminated the hum completely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts