arcam FMJ cd17 Rega brio3 b&w 685 speakers. next step up?

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
this is my current set-up and i am very happy with it so far but i'm intrigued to find out what you guy's would think would be a worthwhile improvement if i ever decided to trade in any part of my set-up for something that would give me a significant improvement in sound. i realise the probable weak link is the rega brio3, so would maybe the roksan kandy k2 work well with the arcam and b&w 685's? what do you think!

matthewpiano

I'm a little concerned that you are already thinking about upgrades and would suggest you hold off making any major changes to your system until you've had a bit longer to enjoy your investment.

Personally I think the amp is the best part of your system. Although it has a tendency to get a little hard sounding in more complex passages, the Brio has many fine qualities which would come to the fore so much more with a pair of Rega RS3 speakers, or the outgoing R3s. IMO they are far superior to the B&Ws with a much more natural and balanced sound, although it really depends very much on what music you are listening to and what sort of sound you like.

I think you need to be aware of what it is you like about your system, and what you feel could be improved. Do you want a warmer sound, or more clarity, or a more even tonal balance, or more rhythmic drive??? These are just examples, but focusing in on what you are missing makes it easier to suggest the next step.

If you can't think of anything you are missing significantly at this stage, just enjoy the gear you have until you do come across something.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i'm happy with my system so far, but was just wondering what other components would work well with it. i was a bit gutted when i saw my cd player and amp only got 4 stars from the what hifi team, but i also know that 4 star components can actually gel to make a great sounding system! im pretty new to all this so you'll have to excuse my naivity

matthewpiano

gooner26:i'm happy with my system so far, but was just wondering what other components would work well with it. i was a bit gutted when i saw my cd player and amp only got 4 stars from the what hifi team, but i also know that 4 star components can actually gel to make a great sounding system! im pretty new to all this so you'll have to excuse my naivity

The best advice I can give is don't change anything if you are happy. The 4 star reviews are meaningless if the kit in your lounge is making a sound that you enjoy listening to and a system of 5* components never guarantees a 5* system. Synergy (the way in which individual components work together) is one of the most crucial parts of a system and can make even average components sound very special.

Hi-fi is a wonderful thing if it pulls you into the music and you enjoy listening to your CDs, records, radio or lossless files. However, its vital to know when to leave things as they are for a decent period of time. As I have found restlessness and constant tweaking can lead to complete hi-fi misery and a serious lack of musical enjoyment as well as a smaller bank balance. Its taken a heck of a lot of work and many different components and systems to get to the point I'm at now where I look forward to switching my system on and listening to music. If you are already there, savour it.

Your current system is at the stage where you would have to spend CONSIDERABLY more money to get a decent improvement. Sub-£1k changes are likely to give you sideways moves/different sound balances rather than significantly 'better' reproduction.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
gooner26:this is my current set-up and i am very happy with it so far but i'm intrigued to find out what you guy's would think would be a worthwhile improvement if i ever decided to trade in any part of my set-up for something that would give me a significant improvement in sound. i realise the probable weak link is the rega brio3, so would maybe the roksan kandy k2 work well with the arcam and b&w 685's? what do you think!

Upgrade your ancilliaries first ie mains block and leads, interconnects etc etc. It should quench the temptation for nowÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts