Arcam Family Traits?

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
My early 90's Technics amp has finally packed it in and now as well as no "A" speaker output it powers itself down with a thump after only a couple of minutes of attempted use.

I have KEF R700 speakers and my first inclination is towards the Arcam A49, but after attempting to arrange a demo from dealers here in Auckland without success I finally contacted the NZ distributors who inform me that they don't bring this model in as they can't get dealers to support equipment at this price level, in other words they want dealers to carry stock for them. They don't even have a demo model in this country!

So the best I can do is listen to the A39 to decide if I like the "sound" and then if I do, buy the A49 blind!

There are other amps I will listen to as well (MF Nu-Vista 600, Hegel 190 and 360, Perreaux 255i ... ).

Why do I want to buy an amp I can't listen to? I really like the 50 watts of class A, and I like the concept of amps that double there output from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, and everything I read says it is a great match to my R700s.

So, to those who have heard both, can I learn anything at all by listening to its little brother?

Hi Seakiwi. Not heard the A49 but I do know that Arcam have a house sound: It's generally quite smooth midrange and crisp highs. I love Arcam sound, but...

As I'm not familiar with NZ and hi-fi distribution, the best advice I can give you is to purchase the A49 from reputable dealer who offers a 'returns' policy. If it doesn't tug your rug you can return it and look at an alternative.

Good luck

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
KEF r700 and Hegel h160
Lots of control
I'm sure the arcam a49 would be as good if not better.
You may want to audition a more enthusiastic amp with the kefs though as I found them a little unexciting with the Hegel compared to my atc.

I found the Cyrus x200 monos more exciting but soon turned into fatigue so try and home demo to see the interaction with your speakers in your room

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have listed some very nice amps.

I have heard the Arcam range - which are now discontinued, so should be heavily discounted.

As you go up the range, there is imo a consistancy of voicing....but the jump in quality from A39 to A49 is quite considerable.....so it is worth listening to the A39 to get some idea.

The Nu Vista, Hegel and Perreaux should all be heard to see what you think.

The R700s need gobs of power and control, from a clean sounding amp. They work really well with Arcam and Hegel. I have not heard Perreaux, but it has a great reputation. The MF certainly has enough power, but you need to make sure it isn't on the warm side for the Kefs.

Once you have listened to all your choices...and you like what the A39 does, but feel the need for "the same, but much better", then I think the A49 is a reasonably safe bet. I've heard it comfortably driving Kef Refs.

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

PP, unfortunately a returns policy is very uncommon in NZ, especially on more expensive gear. The importers won't even bring one in until I order one through a retailer. You buy it it's yours!

Andrew, thanks will certainly listen closely to the Hegel, at least there is a dealer here that is also the importer who does home demo's even if there is a cost!

Insider, Plinius is just as expensive here as elsewhere and I think in the integrated arena, Perreaux have surpassed them with the 255i. Their power amps are a different story but I don't want to go to seperates. Their class A/AB implementation still confuses me! I must look into it more.

Cno, thanks that is pretty much what I wanted to know. I will start with the A39 and then listen to my other shortlist and see where I go from there. I am unaware of Arcam discontinuing the A range and that certainly is not currently reflected in pricing down here.

Can anyone enlighten me on what Arcam are doing, I suspect asking the NZ distributers will not be very enlightening!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Seakiwi said:
Cno, thanks that is pretty much what I wanted to know. I will start with the A39 and then listen to my other shortlist and see where I go from there. I am unaware of Arcam discontinuing the A range and that certainly is not currently reflected in pricing down here.

Can anyone enlighten me on what Arcam are doing, I suspect asking the NZ distributers will not be very enlightening!

https://www.whathifi.com/news/arcams-new-hda-range-comprises-sacdcd-player-and-two-integrated-amps#H6UYgO1IOCo3rz0q.99

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Cno,

Actually got a quick reply from the NZ distributors:

The A19, A29 and A39 are all on runout now due to new models (SA10 and SA20) due in July

We’ve not been informed of changes to the likes of A49, P49, C49

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts