Arcam DVD139 or Audiolab8200CD to play CDs through Arcam AVR350 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - I am new to this forum, so please excuse any obvious naivety !

I would welcome anyone's advice please, on a possible suitable replacement CD player for my system

I'm currently using a 24bit Meridian 506 which is quite old, but which I have been very happy with for many years. My speakers are PMC OB1's driven by four channels from an Arcam avr350 (using the 6th and 7th channels to bi-amp the main stereo channels 1 and 2) with an Arcam P85 to tri-amp the third set of terminals on the OB1's (it's a very large open plan room, approximately 30 by 40 feet, so the extra power is really helpful - not so much for volume, as to retain clarity and precision in such a large space). Speaker cables, mains cables, and interconnects are all good quality. Main listening is classical orchestral, chamber and instrumental - good piano sound is really important to me

It has been so long since I last bought a CD player that I wonder whether it would be sensible to take advantage of recent developments and improvements in sound quality? I am on a limited budget, as a pensioner, and tend to keep my equipment for a long time, so I need to be very careful about choosing a possible replacement for the Meridian 506.

On a limited budget I wonder if the multi format Arcam DVD139 (which occasionally comes up 'as new' on eBay at around the £400/£500 mark) would be worth consideration alongside the Audiolab 8200CD (at around £700) and, if so, if one or other might be clearly preferable ? (I use the Arcam DVD137 as a CD player, in my separate home cinema system, with an Arcam avr280, and Linn Keilidh speakers, in a smaller room, and I really like the CD sound)

If it's a close call, then I think I'll try to find an accommodating Audiolab8200CD dealer who would be willing to set up my Arcam DVD137 alongside the Audiolab for me, as I'm unlikely to be able to compare the DVD139 directly.

I would welcome any comments or advice = many thanks in advance for taking the time to consider this issue.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

I used to own the AVR350 (bi-amped), and still own a DV79, which I still occasionally use to play CDs....so I know how well your system sounds.

Given how long you like to keep your kit for, would you consider a decent streaming solution (eg. Linn Sneaky)? IMO this will give the best improvement in sound quality, for the money spent.

This thread might be of interest regarding the DV 139:
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/arcam-dv137-vs-dv139-audio-playback.

Cno

Pretty much allied to Cno's views.

The Audiolab is a fabulous box of tricks with the right partners.

But we are talking about listening in isolation - Arcam is extremely hard to better. I found this out a few weeks ago with my so-called "warm" CD73T. Comparing it much more expensive machines there are deficiencies. I'm a stickler for judging a component on a pound-for-pound basis.

Many see the CD73 as a gnarlie, staid CDP: My view is somewhat different. Like most Arcam products, they offer good styling, wonderful sound = great VFM.

There you have it: Arcam DVD139.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Careful, here. The Meridian you have is an outstanding player and considerably better than the alternatives you mention. You run the risk of it being a downgrade. There's a reason why the Meridian still fetches good prices secondhand.

When you audition the Arcam and the Audiolab take the Meridian with you for comparison. If after that you still wish to move it on, give me a hoy :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Careful, here. The Meridian you have is an outstanding player and considerably better than the alternatives you mention. You run the risk of it being a downgrade. There's a reason why the Meridian still fetches good prices secondhand.

When you audition the Arcam and the Audiolab take the Meridian with you for comparison. If after that you still wish to move it on, give me a hoy :)

In my round about way, I am agreeing with AL re the Meridian, which is why put I forward the idea of a very decent streamer.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all so much for these very helpful comments

I have never considered 'streaming' before, as I have most of my music on CD, but perhaps it's an option to consider in the future. The view that the Arcam 139 would probably be better than the (extremely highly rated and good value) Audiolab 8200CD is reassuring, but one which I might try to explore further at an Audiolab dealer if possible. In the meantime, what I think I'll do next is to put my Arcam 137 alongside the Meridian 506 and do a lengthy side by side comparison, one quiet evening. I think this may be a useful exercise and, depending on how well the 137 compares with the 506, may give me an indication of whether to stay put, or to explore the Arcam 139 option further

Once again, many thanks to you all

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You are very wise to do your own comparisons. Myself and PP are strong Arcam devotees, so will give a biased judgement. We prefer a more musical presentation than a clinical one.

When I got a Linn Majik DS, it completely "wiped the floor" with the the DV79, and it is for this reason that (imo) you should hold off spending any money, until you hear a good streamer.
If you are looking at keeping your purchase for the next 5 years plus, this is where the future is likely to be heading.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You are very wise to do your own comparisons. Myself and PP are strong Arcam devotees, so will give a biased judgement. We prefer a more musical presentation than a clinical one. When I got a Linn Majik DS, it completely "wiped the floor" with the the DV79, and it is for this reason that (imo) you should hold off spending any money, until you hear a good streamer. If you are looking at keeping your purchase for the next 5 years plus, this is where the future is likely to be heading.
Well, I'd place Meridian about the top for musicality, certainly way ahead of the Audiolab. Haven't heard Arcam for a while, but I've always associated them with slippers and a cup of cocoa. :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
CnoEvil said:
You are very wise to do your own comparisons. Myself and PP are strong Arcam devotees, so will give a biased judgement. We prefer a more musical presentation than a clinical one. When I got a Linn Majik DS, it completely "wiped the floor" with the the DV79, and it is for this reason that (imo) you should hold off spending any money, until you hear a good streamer. If you are looking at keeping your purchase for the next 5 years plus, this is where the future is likely to be heading.
Well, I'd place Meridian about the top for musicality, certainly way ahead of the Audiolab. Haven't heard Arcam for a while, but I've always associated them with slippers and a cup of cocoa. :)

Once again, I wouldn't argue (my goodness, what's going on! :O ). When working to a budget, it's which way do you compromise, and with me its warmer and darker. With a bigger budget, it's a completely different story.

IMO The Linn DS retains the innate musicality of Arcam, but loses the "slippers and cup of cocoa"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts