Arcam CDS27

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased a CDs 27 from the local arcam dealer and hooked it upto my rega brio r and neat motive 2s. I played a cd and it sounds very good, even brand new. I am used to playing CDs on my Audiolab 8200CD.

The main reason for buying the CDS 27 though, was to use as a streamer. To play the files on my laptop or external HDD connected to my desktop. Presently i do this with a Logitech Squeezebox. The CDS 27 is meant to be an upgrade to the Squeezebox.

Problem is, I can't seem to find the music that's on my computers! I updated the firmware., then input the wifi pw after going to network settings and it accepted my pw and is connected to the network.

Do I have to install any special software? The user manual is very brief and just says "Select media browser and the user will be presented with a list of devices available for browsing". Well I go to media browser and then there is only "DLNA search", I click that, NOTHING happens.

I also downloaded the cds27 remote from the iTunes store but it doesn't work on my ipad2. Perhaps because the Ipad is old, I dont know.

Any ideas?

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Simple short term solution: Keep the SBT and connect to the CDS27 via coax. I do this with my SBT/Marantz SA8005. Excellent SQ & Logitec interface avoiding the dogs dinner that plagues so many streamers with their flakey file compatibility and other issues. My SR7007 included - sees AAC but not ALAC - so I use an ATV instead. I see no reason to change my SBT until MQA hopefully gains traction. Not holding my breath.

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Simple short term solution: Keep the SBT and connect to the CDS27 via coax. I do this with my SBT/Marantz SA8005. Excellent SQ & Logitec interface avoiding the dogs dinner that plagues so many streamers with their flakey file compatibility and other issues. My SR7007 included - sees AAC but not ALAC - so I use an ATV instead. I see no reason to change my SBT until MQA hopefully gains traction. Not holding my breath.

Thanks and a good idea. Except I dont see any Digital or Coaxial INPUT. Both are outputs. So it seems the only way I can input music to the CDS27 is via playing a CD, via Wifi or via the Ethernet connection. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Oops. Checked the on line manual and sadly no digital in. A pity that you cannot utilise the excellent BurrBrown DAC. I had an irDAC prior to the Marantz and it worked a treat with the SBT. Hope you find a solution to the software issues. Excellent SACD/CD player as is the SA8005.

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Oops. Checked the on line manual and sadly no digital in. A pity that you cannot utilise the excellent BurrBrown DAC. I had an irDAC prior to the Marantz and it worked a treat with the SBT. Hope you find a solution to the software issues. Excellent SACD/CD player as is the SA8005.

I finally managed to get the CDS27 to 'see' my music files.... by physically plugging an ethernet cable between the CDS27 and my laptop. But you're not going to believe this: Even after locating and reading the files (reading as in accurately displaying the names of the files etc) the damn thing will NOT play a single file! Even an mp3 (never mind flac) it takes forever, and then says UNSUPPORTED FILE.

I cannot believe how prmitive this player is. KEEP AWAY.

Railroader

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Yes I think you have to install special software that will assist. I had very similar issues to what you have described. The arcam app doesn't play anything I found in my experience. I installed a media type thing on my iMac called serviio which seems to recognize my library, then the CD player and the arcam app on the ipad recognized that and from there I was able to play the music and it worked. There are other media servers available I think but serviio deffo worked for me, so perhaps give that a try. In all honesty it was a complete pain and a real poor streaming product imo.

Railroader

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
And I think you have to use the arcam songbook app too. Try downloading that. But you should be able to get it to work without any apps as my player will recognize the media device, eg serviio and I can do it using the remote. It's not the best though, but give it a whirl.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
nemo78 said:

I finally managed to get the CDS27 to 'see' my music files.... by physically plugging an ethernet cable between the CDS27 and my laptop. But you're not going to believe this: Even after locating and reading the files (reading as in accurately displaying the names of the files etc) the damn thing will NOT play a single file! Even an mp3 (never mind flac) it takes forever, and then says UNSUPPORTED FILE.

I cannot believe how prmitive this player is. KEEP AWAY.
Nemo dont be hasty, its new and you just need to set it up. You may need a UPnP server software sitting on you PC, im at work now but ill have a look later to see if i can help unless sombody with more time and experience of the CDS27 comes along. EDIT oh he has not been on for a week I guess he has binned the Arcam or got it working! ummm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts