Arcam CD192

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I have been looking at bidding on a black 'good' condition one on flea bay, will there be much of a difference from my current Arcam CD93? or would I be better off trading the cd player and maybe getting a CD17 or CD37? Any suggestions would be great..

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1:I have been looking at bidding on a black 'good' condition one on flea bay, will there be much of a difference from my current Arcam CD93? or would I be better off trading the cd player and maybe getting a CD17 or CD37? Any suggestions would be great..

The 192 will sound very different from your 93, but if I was buying I would go for a CD37.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
gbhsi1:I have been looking at bidding on a black 'good' condition one on flea bay, will there be much of a difference from my current Arcam CD93? or would I be better off trading the cd player and maybe getting a CD17 or CD37? Any suggestions would be great..

The 192 will sound very different from your 93, but if I was buying I would go for a CD37.
The CD37 looks great and with the added bonus of playing SACD's...but the price also matches this. Is the CD37 miles ahead with regards to sound quality to that of the CD17 or the CD192?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1:JoelSim:

The CD37 looks great and with the added bonus of playing SACD's...but the price also matches this. Is the CD37 miles ahead with regards to sound quality to that of the CD17 or the CD192?

I would very much doubt it was miles ahead. Have you thought of buying a CDP with a digital input so that you can stream through its DAC ie Spotify or radio, or even lossless files if you so desire? Then your CDP becomes more than just a CDP and more fully justifies a few quid being thrown at it.

I would certainly avoid the CD17. Nothing wrong with it, but can't compete with the 192 or 37.

John Duncan

plastic penguin:I would certainly avoid the CD17. Nothing wrong with it, but can't compete with the 192 or 37.

I'd say the same about the 37 actually. Caspian was better (within the context of my 'all CD players sound pretty much the same' tenet).

JohnDuncan:plastic penguin:I would certainly avoid the CD17. Nothing wrong with it, but can't compete with the 192 or 37. I'd say the same about the 37 actually. Caspian was better (within the context of my 'all CD players sound pretty much the same' tenet).

Like all "silver cables sound the same below £10 per mtr" type of scenario?

JohnDuncan:Well they do don't they. No, my point is that incremental improvements in CD players tend to be quite small, so I'd rather spend more money on amps and speakers.

Exactly my point, John - why mess around leaping from one cable to another under a tenner when the sound improvement is, in the main, negligible. I'd prefer to spend significantly more on leads (if the system allows, of course).

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
JohnDuncan:Well they do don't they. No, my point is that incremental improvements in CD players tend to be quite small, so I'd rather spend more money on amps and speakers.

Exactly my point, John - why mess around leaping from one cable to another under a tenner when the sound improvement is, in the main, negligible. I'd prefer to spend significantly more on leads (if the system allows, of course).
so the cd192 would not offer more than what I currently have? Are you saying I would probably get more out of say buying a roksan liii power amp to connect to my intergrated liii?

gbhsi1:plastic penguin:

so the cd192 would not offer more than what I currently have? Are you saying I would probably get more out of say buying a roksan liii power amp to connect to my intergrated liii?

Depends on your sonic taste - if you prefer a detailed, slightly lush character then the 93 is the better bet. If, like Joel and others, prefer a more attacking sound, oozing vitality, the 192 is the kiddie. Overall, because of those qualities, many would say the 192 is a decent improvement.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Hmmmm...I'm kind of steering towards the 192, how much do you think it's worth second hand? As I'm thinking of buying the one on flea bay but not sure how far I should go if that makes sense..?

A

Anonymous

That is going for £285.00 now with 5 days to go. Go for a Rega Apollo instead. The Arcam will sound muddy and boring.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Look to pay no more than £350 I would suggest and you should get a good one for that.

The 192 has a far harder, more precise sound than my old 92, like PP says. The review started with 'no more Mr Nice Arcam...'

Although it still sounds lush it does dig up more detail, and has a stronger sense of timing. A nice player. I only upgraded to my current as I wanted a digital input.

I'm not sure I agree totally with JD although I can see what he's saying. Most CDPs are pretty decent these days but for the extra you need to pay decent money.

This in effect should only cost you £150 or so if you sell your 93 and for that it will be money well spent.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Look to pay no more than £350 I would suggest and you should get a good one for that.

The 192 has a far harder, more precise sound than my old 92, like PP says. The review started with 'no more Mr Nice Arcam...'

Although it still sounds lush it does dig up more detail, and has a stronger sense of timing. A nice player. I only upgraded to my current as I wanted a digital input.

I'm not sure I agree totally with JD although I can see what he's saying. Most CDPs are pretty decent these days but for the extra you need to pay decent money.

This in effect should only cost you £150 or so if you sell your 93 and for that it will be money well spent.

....how did the review end, incidentally? I think this was a £900.00 cd player when it launched.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Garland Genoho:JoelSim:

....how did the review end, incidentally? I think this was a £900.00 cd player when it launched.

With 5 stars. And it was a £900 CDP.

A

Anonymous

Yeah. I think if you love the Arcam sound, this is the cd player to go for. Only for a die-hard Arcam fan.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Garland Genoho:....how did the review end, incidentally?

Beginning, middle and end here

Thank you very much.

JoelSim:

Please let us know, Joel, when a £350 192 comes up. You've mentioned this a number of times, but I've never seen one below 380 ish on fleebay.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Garland Genoho:That is going for £285.00 now with 5 days to go. Go for a Rega Apollo instead. The Arcam will sound muddy and boring.
a spanner in the works...I also like the Apollo! Now which one then. I understand that the apollo price has come down considerably (correct me if I'm wrong) how will it sound in my system though?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site

When I bought a 192 to replace my 72T (Cost me £320 off Gumtree). The difference was clear and impressive. More impressive than when I swapped out my A65+ for an A85 (Which was good, just not the leap forward the 192 had acheived).

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1:Garland Genoho:That is going for £285.00 now with 5 days to go. Go for a Rega Apollo instead. The Arcam will sound muddy and boring.
a spanner in the works...I also like the Apollo! Now which one then. I understand that the apollo price has come down considerably (correct me if I'm wrong) how will it sound in my system though?

If you remember, the Rega Apollo and the Roksan Kandy MK3 were highly regarded as a pair by WHF and were the recommended mid-range pairing with B&W 685 speakers not too long ago. I bought this system on this basis and loved it. I would expect this system to sound stunning with your Neat Motive 2 speakers.

You have the amp. Now get the cd player. I have had the Arcam CD73T, and between the two, the Rega Apollo is my choice. Not heard the CD192 though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts