Arcam CD17 v Rega Apollo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well guys it just shows this Hi Fi malarkey really is a matter of personal taste. Having narrowed my CD replacement down to the Arcam and Rega I arranged a demo of both items.

Having sought advice I fully expected to leave the store with a Rega tucked under my arm.

How wrong I was.

Both fine players no doubt. The Arcam though was simply streets ahead of the Rega (Controversial I know) The soundstaging and detail this player extracts from CD's is simply amazing. The Rega although very good sounded quite clinical in it's delivery.

The decision was made and the CD17 now sits in my Delta 290 and Kef IQ 70 system very nicely. A bigger bonus was that I managed to obtain it on sale at £479.00p

As a relative newcomer to this forum I hope I won't be 'banned' for praising the virtues of Arcam. There does seem to be a bit of a hate campaign going on against them on some of the threads.

A

Anonymous

Hey, it sounds good for you and so just enjoy it. I don't think there's an Arcam hate campaign, just people have their own opinions, some of them stronger than others!

I enjoyed an Arcam CD player for years (CD62, CD82 and CD92) and found them to be good value and a nice warm presentation.

Enjoy it! Welcome by the way.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Congrads on your purchase and welcome to the forums.

I once compared the arcam cd73t to Rega apollo, I must admit I preferred the Apollo but each has there own preference. One thing I wonder whether both units had being burned in properly, and I suppose one cd player will suit one system and not another - system synergy.

Happy listening

Cheers

Steve.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Yes it shows the danger of just taking the popular vote and not having a demo yourself. The Rega is excellent and will most often be recommended above the Arcam but it is a detail deliverer and doesnt have the weightier bass and smoothness of Arcam cd's.

Its dangerous to assume you will like what everyone else does :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Fully agree

The Rega Apollo is a stunng CDP but so is the Arcam FMJ CD17; just a shame the Arcam A18 amp let the side down IMO

Both CDP's will gel with a lot of system and peoples musical tastes but need to be demo'd carefully as they both have different sonic values that better the other dependent upon system seperates and tastes in music etc...

A

Anonymous

a few pics of that splendid new system would be nice dan
emotion-4.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:a few pics of that splendid new system would be nice dan
emotion-4.gif

I know but seeing as I trod on the digi-cam t'other day it's not going to happen too soon
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:maxflinn:a few pics of that splendid new system would be nice dan
emotion-4.gif

I know but seeing as I trod on the digi-cam t'other day it's not going to happen too soon
emotion-6.gif
ouch...

are you planning on getting a sub ? or do you find the cm5s bassy enough ? i was surprised to see you ditch the rx6s , seeing as you really liked them .. the current setup must be special ..

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Enjoy. The 9 Arcam components I've owned gave me nothing but pleasure. I can't speak highly enough of the brand. As stated above it's all down to personal taste. Certain other publications like the latest Arcam kit more than WHF but it really is down to what sort of sound you like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts