arcam CD player

olderhifiuser

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Have Arcam dropped CD format?

looking on their website today, the CD17 is listed as discontinued, and no CD players re listed as current

I'm looking for a new CD player to replace my dead Arcam 8SE, and if the CD17 is going to be sold off cheaper maybe that's going to be the solution.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
olderhifiuser said:
Have Arcam dropped CD format?

looking on their website today, the CD17 is listed as discontinued, and no CD players re listed as current

I'm looking for a new CD player to replace my dead Arcam 8SE, and if the CD17 is going to be sold off cheaper maybe that's going to be the solution.

It does appear to have been dropped it from their range but there are several photos of the CD17 on the website so its a bit confusing. Yes could well be sold off cheaply. I would go and hear one first.

matthewpiano

The CD17 has been around for a long time now so perhaps they are just getting ready to launch a new model.

I would imagine CD players at that price point don't sell especially well now so maybe they have just decided to 'do a Linn'.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

matthewpiano

Thanks ID.

At some point I'll be looking to buy a new CD player before they become less common (the Rotel, which I love, won't last forever). This new Arcam looks interesting, particularly as I'd love to be able to hear the SACD layer on the dual-layer discs I've got (quite a few in my classical collection).

It would take some saving though, and it is quite a bit more than my other thought - the Rega Apollo-R.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
From the Dutch distributor:
Nieuwe bronnen UDP411 en CDS27
Ondanks de enorme groei van streaming audio gelooft Arcam ook nog altijd in het fysieke medium. Daarom introduceert Arcam twee nieuwe bronnen die het beste van de twee werelden combineren: een loopwerk voor de fysieke discs en een ethernet aansluiting voor UPnP streaming weergave. De UDP411 (zie foto) staat daarbij voor Universal Disc Player en speelt (3D) BluRay’s, SACD’s, DVD’s en CD’s in optima forma terwijl de netwerkaansluiting streaming van muziek én film (!) mogelijk maakt. Hierbij profiteert zowel beeld als geluid van Arcam’s jarenlange ervaring om alles uit het digitale signaal te halen. Voor één ieder die minder waarde hecht aan filmweergave is er deCDS27?. Net als de UDP411 kan de CDS27 net zo goed overweg met muziekstreaming als met schijfjes. Hierbij is de weergave uiteraard beperkt tot CD’s. Arcam kiest bewust voor een streaming functie in de bron in plaats van de versterker. Het binnenkomende digitale signaal wordt direct en verliesvrij aan de DAC gekoppeld waarbij de versterker vrij gehouden wordt van digitaal dataverkeer dat een negatief effect zou kunnen hebben op het audiosignaal.

De UDP411 wordt verwacht in juli met een verkoop adviesprijs van ~€1.500, de CDS27 wordt verwacht in augustus met een verkoop adviesprijs van ~€1.000.

peterpan said:
From the Dutch distributor:

Nieuwe bronnen UDP411 en CDS27

Ondanks de enorme groei van streaming audio gelooft Arcam ook nog altijd in het fysieke medium. Daarom introduceert Arcam twee nieuwe bronnen die het beste van de twee werelden combineren: een loopwerk voor de fysieke discs en een ethernet aansluiting voor UPnP streaming weergave. De UDP411 (zie foto) staat daarbij voor Universal Disc Player en speelt (3D) BluRay’s, SACD’s, DVD’s en CD’s in optima forma terwijl de netwerkaansluiting streaming van muziek én film (!) mogelijk maakt. Hierbij profiteert zowel beeld als geluid van Arcam’s jarenlange ervaring om alles uit het digitale signaal te halen. Voor één ieder die minder waarde hecht aan filmweergave is er deCDS27?. Net als de UDP411 kan de CDS27 net zo goed overweg met muziekstreaming als met schijfjes. Hierbij is de weergave uiteraard beperkt tot CD’s. Arcam kiest bewust voor een streaming functie in de bron in plaats van de versterker. Het binnenkomende digitale signaal wordt direct en verliesvrij aan de DAC gekoppeld waarbij de versterker vrij gehouden wordt van digitaal dataverkeer dat een negatief effect zou kunnen hebben op het audiosignaal.

De UDP411 wordt verwacht in juli met een verkoop adviesprijs van ~€1.500, de CDS27 wordt verwacht in augustus met een verkoop adviesprijs van ~€1.000.

Now the moderators are going to have a field day vetting that one. *biggrin*

matthewpiano

An imperfect but still useful Google translation:

New sources UDP411 and CDS27

Despite the tremendous growth of streaming audio Arcam still believe in the physical medium. Therefore Arcam introduces two new sources the best of both worlds: a drive for physical discs and an Ethernet port for UPnP streaming playback. The UDP411 (see photo) stands for Universal Disc Player and plays (3D) BluRay, SACDs, DVDs and CDs at its best, while allowing the network connection streaming of music and film (!). This will benefit both image and sound of Arcam's years of experience to get. Everything from the digital signal For anyone who attaches less value to movie playback, there is deCDS27?. Like the UDP411 can CDS27 just as well with music streaming as with slices. This is the view of course limited to CDs. Arcam deliberately choose a streaming function in the source instead of the amplifier. The incoming digital signal is a direct and free of loss associated with the DAC in which the amplifier is kept free of digital data traffic, which has an adverse effect might have on the audio signal.

The UDP411 is expected in July with a retail price of ~ € 1,500, the CDS27 is expected in August with a retail price of ~ € 1,000.

matthewpiano

It looks like an interesting product, particularly given the feature-set it offers. However, for my own consideration, I have some reservations:

* The Rega Apollo-R, whilst not as well featured, is £350 less and I'd be surprised if the Arcam out-performed it as a CD player. I'd have to be sure I would use the additional facilities.

* For the same price as the new Arcam I could get an Opera Consonance CD120 Linear, which is one of the best CD players I have ever heard. Again, it doesn't offer the same features, but the sound is more important to me so the Arcam would have to be really special to justify the spend.

* Reliability? I'd hate to make an investment of that size and find myself being an un-witting Arcam product tester.

matthewpiano said:
It looks like an interesting product, particularly given the feature-set it offers. However, for my own consideration, I have some reservations:

* The Rega Apollo-R, whilst not as well featured, is £350 less and I'd be surprised if the Arcam out-performed it as a CD player. I'd have to be sure I would use the additional facilities.

* For the same price as the new Arcam I could get an Opera Consonance CD120 Linear, which is one of the best CD players I have ever heard. Again, it doesn't offer the same features, but the sound is more important to me so the Arcam would have to be really special to justify the spend.

* Reliability? I'd hate to make an investment of that size and find myself being an un-witting Arcam product tester.

Hint: Exposure. Or is that too obvious?

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:

Hint: Exposure. Or is that too obvious?

It is another thought PP, and when I purchased the amp I heard the 1010 CD player with it and was very impressed indeed. The Opera was a significant step up but then it is twice the price. The Exposure might prove a good option yet.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
PP said Exposure. I like their amps., but their cdp, i don't know, but it seems they are not the top. WHF gives the 2012 only 3 stars and i mean in Germany too not so good reviews. For that money their are better cdp's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts