Arcam Black Box 50 not working any advice

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello again,

I have just bought what I thought was a working Arcam Black Box 50 DAC via the internet. I got it cheap and was told last time it was used it was still working.

It arrived yesterday, it looks almost brand new with hardly a mark on it in original box, switched it on and all the lights work. But then I set it up into my system and nothing, no sound. Not on the digital or optical. I tried it with my CD player and dug out an old minidisc player, nothing from either. I then plugged everything back into my old CA DAC magic 2 and back came the sound.

I had a look inside the BB50, the fuse inside is fine, doesn't look to be anything wrong to my novice eyes.

Has anyone had this problem with a BB50 and is it fixable.

Cheers Bry

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Cheers Al ears, but may not need to.

Strange happenings!

I left it plugged in this morning whilst getting ready for work, for around an hour, noticed that the 'sync lock' light which had been permenantly on initially had gone off!

So I quickly set it up again and it has begun working! Bizarre!

When it arrived it had an optical cable in the 'sync lock' at the back, maybe it needed time to register that I had actually taken it out.

Looking forward to getting home now and hearing it properly and not in a morning rush.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Good news indeed!

Got home and it's definitely still working. Sound has more bottom end is much fuller, tighter and wider sounding than the DAC Magic 2.

£25 well spent, you take your chances! The seller said he'd had it in storage for years, so hopefully after a few days playing the sound will open up even more.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Had the BB50 on the go for about a week now, it slays the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 2 for the sound I am after.

Just listening to the 'Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are' album, and instead of just taking in and hearing the main riffs to the songs, I am now hearing bass lines and runs that I have never heard.

This is a major bonus and is exciting to get reaquainted with well loved albums with the added bonus of hearing a much fuller sound. WDWTWA may not be Deep Purples best album but I am listening to it with an ear for Roger Glover like I never had before.

I was thinking of getting an Arcam Alpha 9 cd, but at the moment I don't feel the need.

I understand I am well out of touch with the movement of HiFi (see my gear list below), but this is the best sounding set up I've ever had. For now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts