Arcam BDP100 v BDP300

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Aside from costing £500 more and supporting 3D, what is the advantage of the BDP300 over the BDP100? Arcam website does not go into much details as to the differences betwenn the two units. Does the 300 have hardware/firmware fixes that address the critism's leveled at the 100? Has the 100 been upgraded since first released? I have no interest in 3D at all, and would like an AVR360 + BDP100 package but I am put off by the negative press Arcam seems to attract. I have Arcam amp and CD player, but wonder if I would be better off looking at other manufacturer for AV kit. The blue ray / AV receiver would need to be as good with CD's in stereo mode, which is why I am looking at the Arcam system. In short I'd LIKE to go the Arcam route, but just don't have the confidence. Anyone got any views on this?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I love the sound of their AV amps (got an AVR600) and have a DV79, but I would stay clear of their Blu-ray players. Look to Oppo, Marantz or Denon for example.

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I am on to my 2nd BDP100, had absolutely no problems with it so far. Great player, would I upgrade to the BDP300... probably not! I am holding off to upgrade to Primare soon.

sonicboom

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I had the Arcam DV79 and AVR 300 set up which I enjoyed a lot until the DV started to play up. It played dvds fine but there were days it just would not load cds. I had been thinking about an upgrade anyway to get bluray capability plus access to all the audio multichannel decodes. I kept the AVR 300 with the intention of continuing to use analogue for the sound rather than getting a new amp capable of taking hdmi. So which player? This was a bit earlier in the year. I had to reject the Arcams as they did not tick all the boxes. I thought about Oppo ( at that time the 95) but was concerned about the reports of fan noise plus it would be a mail order for me with no chance of a demo. I rejected the Marantz and the Denon for no other good reason than I wasn't sure how they would go sonically with UK kit. That left the Cambridge BD751. I had a demo albeit not with my own amp and it sounded pretty nice. The fact I could buy over the counter and had a shop contact should anything go wrong persuaded me. I am very pleased with it. As has been commented elsewhere there probably is not a lot between players for picture. The sonics are very good via analogue both stereo and multi. Yes it is a bit different from my Arcam but I couldn't truly say one is better than the other. When I think the sonics have too much top or bottom I do toggle the three audio filters. You could probably get obsessive about that so I choose one and stick with it once the disc is in. I am old fashioned and don't upgrade for the sake of it. I have no aspiration to stream or anything like that. While they keep making cds I will keep buying them. My one box disc player pretty well suits me. I haven't yet felt any need to go and get a separate cd player. Nor have I felt any regret that I didn't wait for the Oppo 105 to come along.

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
It stopped playing discs. The new one has been great, the only thing that annoys me is the unresponsive remote, and why it take so long to eject discs, other than that its been great.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I looked into the BDP100 at length (96 pages or something on AV Forums...I'm that obsessive!) and had a demo with the AVR400. The player played everything thrown at it that day (CD, DVD, Bluray) but the main complaint seems to be firmware problems/freezing. That said if you can get one for the £400.00 I was offered (Audio T Preston if you're interested) it's worth a punt. It did sound very detailed via an RCA cable to the AVR400 but a little rolled off at the top end, which was probably down to the demo room and the difference with my room at home. It has the signiture Arcam sound. The BDP300 will cost you £1,000 for 3D and better reliability, which should be a given on a player costing £100 never mind several hundred.

I have read great things about the Cambridge players but that information's all available. They feel more upmarket than the Arcam, which just didn't look like a c. £1,000 player with its plastic casing.

A

Anonymous

Just to close this out, gave up on the idea of the AVR360 + BDP100 and bought a NaimUniti2 instead.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts