Arcam AVR 500/600

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I am thinking of upgrading my receiver to either the Arcam AVR600 or the new Arcam AVR500.

My front left and right speakers are KEF XQ20's and the rest of my speakers are from a KEF KHT3005 system. Do Arcam and KEF go well together?

Is there any difference in the audio quality of the AVR500 vs the AVR600. I know it has less power. Have they compromised in other areas?

Finally, is there any other receiver that I should be considering, for the same amount of money?

Thanks

Stormboy

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Arcam and Kef go well together IMO. But I'm afraid it still looks like bugs continue to plague these units. I'm sure Arcam will get there in the end but they must be trying owner's patience after spending so much. The AVR500 lacks pre-outs for one, so if you fancied upgrading to power amps later on, you can't. This was a bit of a contentious issue when the AVR500 was announced.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Stormboy

We always pair up Arcam and KEF for our musical evenings every year - they do work very well together.

The AVR500 is a stripped down version of the AVR600, so it will lack in some areas, but it'll still be a strong contender at it's price point. I think it'll depend what you want to do long term. If it'll be used to drive an XQ package, then either amp will do fine, but the AVR600 has a rare ability to drive the most awkward speakers extremely well, which not all AV receivers/amplifiers can do.

Alternatives can include the new Onkyo 5507/5500 pre/power (about the same price as the AVR600), the Denon AVR4810, the Onkyo 5007, and Yamaha's DSPZ11, which you may be able to squeeze into your price point.

The Arcam tends to be the tops when it comes to 2 channel performance, but most of them are top notch for AV.

A

Anonymous

If your limit of speaker usage is the XQ, then the 500 should be more than fine. As you have dedicated stereo, I would suggest the Arcam as the best AV amp for hifi.

I think it is really a price decision, if you can afford the AVR600, get it.

PS - You should get better results buying the 500 and upgrading the centre to a matching XQ. I found the XQ's very sweet (only tried 20 and centre), but figure the vocals from that centre will sound even better matched with your left / right combo.

The bugs on the AVR are still around, but no where near the volume they used to be.

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Thank you for your advice. The more I think about it, the more likely I am to buy an AVR600.

Everybody seems to recommend it and It is just on the limit of my budget.

Stormboy

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I do think that the point about at least upgrading your centre speaker is valid. I can't help thinking that you're throwing all your eggs into the receiver basket and it will possibly be overkill for the rest of your system.

scene

I'd agree - I've got some Kef Eggs (2005.2) and found the centre channel a little underwhelming - so I bought a MA RS-LCR and am using my Silver 8is as L&R. Not necessarily ideal - but has improved the front and, as most people reckon 85% of 5.1 comes from the LCR, worth doing IMO. I would consider getting a centre to match the L&R, probably before upgrading the receiver.

I would also agree that Kefs & Arcam seem to go together.

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I agree with the advice about the centre speaker. However, I simply have no room for a large centre speaker. My Pioneer Lx508 sits on a low AV rack and the KEF KHT3005 speaker sits in front of it. There is only just enought room for it to fit and to not obscure the screen. Rearranging things to make more space will require buying a new rack and rearragning the room, something I am not willing to do at this time.

Do I need a centre speaker at all. One possibility is to buy a pair of KEF XQ40's for the front left and right, put the XQ20's at the rear and just not have a centre speaker.

Any thoughts

Stormboy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts