Arcam Amps Question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have always had Arcam integrated amps for my hi fi. An Arcam 75 I have is cutting out when the volume dial is at halfway? Could I buy an Arcam Power amp such as the P25 and use the older Arcam 75 as a pre amp to give decent 100 w per channel power? the quality of the A75 is still good at lower volumes? Cheers.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Im a little lost. You have the A75 but are after a much superior P25 power amp?

Surely it would make more sense to either buy a P75 or a better integrated?

theclack:I have always had Arcam integrated amps for my hi fi. An Arcam 75 I have is cutting out when the volume dial is at halfway? Could I buy an Arcam Power amp such as the P25 and use the older Arcam 75 as a pre amp to give decent 100 w per channel power? the quality of the A75 is still good at lower volumes? Cheers.

Is the cut-out a faulty amp or control? if so a power amp won't make a jot of difference. I am also slightly confused.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies AlienRik & Plastic Penguin, I am no doubt confusing you both because I am naive about non integrated amps and skint, so just trying to replace my previously fine, but now quiter Arcam 75 with a power amp faulty Arcam 75 combination. Are you saying AlienRik that an Arcam 75 won't sound OK put through a P25 as a pre amp. Just been offered a cheap 2nd hand P25 so I thought this might be a cheap solution that would sound all right?

Plastic Penguin, I've no idea what is wrong except that the cut out comes in at half volume, presumably nothing wrong with the dial? So I though put the Arcam 75 through a 100 w per channell amp would be OK. Is this a ludicrous proposition to beacuse the power part of the integrated amp is broken? As discussed the Arcam 75 amp still sounds fine below halfway?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
P25 is a fanatastic amp. So it will work VERY well. But the A75 will be holding it back (And youll almost certainly still have the 'volume' problem)

A

Anonymous

Sorry if this is a bit of a highjack, but I see we have some people with some experience of the P25.

What sort of kit have you heard partnered with the P25? Any speaker recommendations or pre amp suggestions for it?

I have also come across one at a reasonable price (hope its not the same one) and was thinking of making it the start of a new system, more in the mid price range than my current budget kit.

Some further thought would be fantastic.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Brisk:Sorry if this is a bit of a highjack, but I see we have some people with some experience of the P25.What sort of kit have you heard partnered with the P25? Any speaker recommendations or pre amp suggestions for it?I have also come across one at a reasonable price (hope its not the same one) and was thinking of making it the start of a new system, more in the mid price range than my current budget kit.Some further thought would be fantastic.

You'd be silly to go for any preamp other than a gain-matched Arcam. ProAc and Dali work well with Arcs, and many others I would think.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

A bloke at Arcam who I called thought the A75 integrated might work through the P25 but you were all right, the P25 that I bought on eBay for £260 sounds great but again my A75 cuts out and the P25 follows this too at the same volume. What pre amp or integrated amp would go well with the P25 that I could buy second hand (and preferably silver ) for say £200 or £300? It needs to have a phono input so that I can still play vinyl. Brisk, when you say gain-matched, do you know which ones these would be with the P25 with phono inputs, cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts