Arcam Alpha 9 or..........

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Have posted before on this as I have been looking for one of these at a reasonable price to replace my Alpha 5 and the prices seem to be rising,I missed out on a Delta 290 and these also seem to be rising in value.

I was thinking of trying a different route maybe a NAD C370 or a Rotel 1520 which is ex dem, this would be with my second system below but I also have some B&W 603s3 which should gel nicely with the Rotel.

I like the warm!? signature of the Arcam but thinking both these alternatives have good power output which is what I am looking for over my Alpha 5.

Does anyone have experience of either of these amps, i will be buying 'blind' so appreciate anyones thoughts on either.

I used to own a Rotel 840bx and was happy with that for several years but my last listen to a NAD was a 3020 many years ago and before I owned the Rotel.

As always appreciate anyones contributions,

Thanks.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
D'oh, have discounted the NAd due to no built in phono stage, have been looking at old comments regarding the Rotel which appears to a bit brighter in presentation than the Arcam, would this be a reasonablle assesment ?

Hi shanka

If you like a warm sound then the superb NAD C370 is the one to go for instead. As an alternative to the RA-1520, Rotel's excellent RA-1062 is a better alternatively as i feel the RA-1062 avoids the upfront and somewhat sterile presentation of the RA-1520.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rick,

Thanks for that, having read yours and others comments previously and what you have just stated I think the NAD would be a better fit , will check out the phono stage you suggest.

How would the NAD compare with the Alpha 9, any thoughts ?

The Rotel is new and going for less than £300 and has the phono stage so is in the same price bracket as the NAD which is 10 years old.
The other Rotel you suggest I will look for but no examples at present.

Thanks again

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Finally got an Alpha 9,£130 no phono stage but will probably go with Rega phono mini,had a quick play yesterday and all knobs sound clean, remote works and intend to give it a decent workout this afternoon.

Have had no hifi for 6 weeks due to builders so can't wait to listen and relax with a few beers,will probably get the Rega this week so back on vinyl at the weekend :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

Hope you don't mind me letting you know

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations, £130 is a really good price for a fully working one of these especially with the remote, bargain. The only problem these amps have, as I'm sure you are aware, is the input selector oxidise and the channels intermittently drop out. If you have this problem there is a guy on eBay who repairs them though. A nice amp none the less, IMO one if Arcams better ones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts