Arcam Alpha 9 and 9P

nsr1200

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the Arcam Alpha 9 and 9P. Bi-amped to Tannoy v4's via a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus. I like these amplifiers for many reasons, they are unassuming in design, simple to use, and they seem to have endless amounts of power that is clear and crisp.

Thats all great, but there are a few things nagging me.

Am I benefiting from a Bi amped system? - I have been reading on the internet again and found that there is very conflicting answers, some say yes and some say no. One article I read said it was completely pointless bi-amping as you are limited by the crossover networks in the speakers, at this point I checked out, confused and somewhat stuck.

I don't play music past 11 o clock on the volume dial so does it make any difference if I have two amps or one? If I only need one amplifier I am tempted to sell these two and get an A19 instead.

Is the point of bi-amplification to increase your power or does it increase your clarity in sound?

While I'm on the subject of power, am I just wasting electricity?

I am really interested to hear some educating answers on these topics, as I really don't understand the finer points of this. If anyone can give me a crash course in Bi-amping, I would love to read about it. To be honest I feel a little stupid asking these questions as I own the kit but don't have the explanation to back it, (its like buying a car just because I like the colour!). I just know I like the way it looks and currently sounds.

Thanks in advance

nsr1200 said:
I have the Arcam Alpha 9 and 9P. Bi-amped to Tannoy v4's via a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus. I like these amplifiers for many reasons, they are unassuming in design, simple to use, and they seem to have endless amounts of power that is clear and crisp.

Thats all great, but there are a few things nagging me.

Am I benefiting from a Bi amped system? - I have been reading on the internet again and found that there is very conflicting answers, some say yes and some say no. One article I read said it was completely pointless bi-amping as you are limited by the crossover networks in the speakers, at this point I checked out, confused and somewhat stuck.

I don't play music past 11 o clock on the volume dial so does it make any difference if I have two amps or one? If I only need one amplifier I am tempted to sell these two and get an A19 instead.

Is the point of bi-amplification to increase your power or does it increase your clarity in sound?

While I'm on the subject of power, am I just wasting electricity?

I am really interested to hear some educating answers on these topics, as I really don't understand the finer points of this. If anyone can give me a crash course in Bi-amping, I would love to read about it. To be honest I feel a little stupid asking these questions as I own the kit but don't have the explanation to back it, (its like buying a car just because I like the colour!). I just know I like the way it looks and currently sounds.

Thanks in advance

To answer some of your questions you need to understand what adding a power amp does. I've not bi-amped Arcams but have heard them bi-amped at the dealers, this is my understanding:

By adding a power amp this should give you better bass and midrange definition, as this gives a cleaner current, and therefore, in theory, should improve a little at lower volumes because the purer current makes pushing the drivers easier.

Because the power amp and integrated has the same power output (or should do) it'll make little or no difference whether you bi-amp or not.

The main issue is whether you want to cut down on box count or if you're happy with the extra units.

Personally, having owned Alpha 7 and the A65+, your 9s, regardless if used with a power amp or not, will benefit from better speakers. I would look at DC6 (floorstander version), Focal 714V, Monitor Audio RX6 or the newer silver range or s/hand PMC GB1i.

nsr1200

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I am happy with having the extra unit, but only if there is a benefit to it. Also I don't want to be wasting power for only a very minut improvement, if its only a couple of watts I'm not bothered, but if its 200W extra in power consumption then it might make me think twice about having the power amp.

I will say the sound is very nice, I think its just a case of me taking it apart and spending an afternoon trying the various configurations with and without the power amp installed.

I picked up a power meter yesterday evening (see the link below), this will give me some answers regarding the power questions I have. It worked well on other household appliances I tested last night :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/15a-plug-in-energy-saving-monitor-l61aq

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
From most things I've read people seemed to think that Arcam benefitted from biamping. I would expect the Alpha 9 and 9P to outperform the A19, but they really deserve much better speakers. I think you could get the biggest benefits from upgrading the speakers.

In fact, even the Alpha 9 alone would benefit from much better speakers, and with the added power amp they are capable of driving some quite serious speakers.

I'd keep the amplification, but as a former Alpha 9 owner (only got rid of it because I moved overseas) I'm a little biased.

nsr1200

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it has now just been confirmed what I already knew in keeping the Amplifiers, I am very attached to them. Changing the speakers will be a new venture in my quest for Hi-Fi perfection, a previous poster mentioned these speakers:

Focal 714V, Monitor Audio RX6, PMC GB1i, Tannoy DC6, any other advances on speaker choice?

Im up for Floorstanders or Stand mount speakers.

Thanks

nsr1200 said:
I think it has now just been confirmed what I already knew in keeping the Amplifiers, I am very attached to them. Changing the speakers will be a new venture in my quest for Hi-Fi perfection, a previous poster mentioned these speakers:

Focal 714V, Monitor Audio RX6, PMC GB1i, Tannoy DC6, any other advances on speaker choice?

Im up for Floorstanders or Stand mount speakers.

Thanks

A few months ago I heard Tannoy Precision 6.1 (standmounts) on the end of a Cyrus amp and they sounded impressive. However, my only concern was they could do with slightly smoother amplification, such as Arcams... they should be a fabulous match.

Monitor Audio Silver or BX5s are my preferred match, biased as I owned RS6s with Arcams. Likewise Focal (not sure if they are bi-wired or not) and s/hand PMCs (DB1i or GB1i) are superb with Arcam.

You could also look at Dali and Q Acoustics.

All the above makes, except PMC, are available at Richer Sounds.

*EDIT* Just seen these.

TRENDING THREADS