Arcam alpha 10+10p+10p3 connecting it up help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I've just aquired an Arcam Alpha 10p DAVE intergrated amp / Arcam 10p power amp and an Arcam 10p 3 channel power amp.

Now ive been using a Denon 3802 for years and all straight forward with the speaker connections .But now i would like to connect all this Arcam gear together.

Whats the best options i have, i would like to bi amp my front L&R speakers with the intergrated amp and the power amp then use the 3 channel for center and the two rear speakers is this in your opinion the best way or is there a better way and where do the speaker wires go.

Also i need some phono cables to do all this so how many would i need and where would they plug into .

A big question i know but any help very much welcome

regards Tony

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
yes, I think the configuration you suggest is the best one.

IIRC you'll need just the five phonos - five cables, not five pairs!

Two from the main pre-outs on the Alpha 10 to the inputs on the 10P, and three from the centre, left rear and right rear outputs on the DAVE board to the three inputs on the 10P3.

Oh, and a phono cable to an active sub if you have one...

Pull the jumpers on the back of your front L/R speakers, and connect the left speaker out from the Alpha 10 to the HF connections on the left speaker, and the left speaker out on the 10P to the LF connections.

Repeat for the right speaker.

Connect up the centre and surround speakers to the appropriate channels on the Alpha10P3.

Sorted.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the help

just one more thing i know Arcams are quiet warm sounding say compared to audiolabs which i have had in the past but i have a lively cinema room /hard floors not much furniture so hopefully the arcams will suit my speakers. Do you recommend any phono cables for the connections . Dont want to spend loads but i allready have a pair of cabletalk broadcast 3 and they must be at least 14 years old now and things must have moved on

what do you think

Cheers Tony

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Purely because I know them well, I'd suggest - in descending price order - Chord Company Chameleon Silver Plus, Chord Cobra 3 or Chord Crimson

A spot of Googlage will get you up and running - assuming 1m runs - with Crimson for about £100 for the lot, while Chameleon will cost you about three times as much.

A

Anonymous

Going back to the connections everything is very clear to me but i have jumper bars on both power amps under the heading LINK. Do i keep these in place in biamp mode on the two amps or do they need to be removed.

Regards Tony

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
"MONO LINK - The power ampli?er can be adapted to provide
two mono loudspeaker outputs from a single input. Pull out the
link supplied and use it to connect the L and R AUDIO OUT
sockets together. Using one power ampli?er per loudspeaker
will enable you to bi-amplify bi-wireable loudspeakers."

In other words, in your configuration, leave the link in its parked place - you don't need it.

A

Anonymous

All set up now cheers for that

Another quick question. I've got my ruark vita sub connected to the sub on the DAVE module and there are no frequency settings in the DAVE menu except for the usual distance/speaker sizes and sub connected setting (ive set all speaker sizes to small).Ive done the test tone everything set to 75d.

What do i set my sub frequency too all the way around so the sub gets everything , or to match my speakers and then adjust the gain for volume iam asking because iam having a problem with boomy bass even when the sub is off and finding it hard to adjust everything.

Any help

Regards Tony

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Given that the Sonus Fabers go down to 55Hz, I'd try setting the sub's upper roll-off to about 60Hz or so.

I'd also have an experiment with running the Arcam with the main speakers set to 'large'.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew

ok ill post a new post completely re edited

Regards Tony

TRENDING THREADS