arcam airadac, irdac, rblink? whats the best route?

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello
I was wondering if you can help as i'm a little confused with how many products are out and each claiming to do different things. I have an Arcam A19 going into kef r100's. I currently stream music into apple tv doing directly into the amp. I have just got an rblink and have been streaming music directly via bluetooth - rblink into amp. Some tracks sound better through apple tv and some via the rblink. I was thinking about buying either the airdac or irdac to see if this would improve things as i heard airplay is better than bluetooth? Airplay restricted to 16bit 48KHZ? Bluetooth less than that? I looked into how stream music via my phone and i have a app that allows me to play hi res files 24bit/192khz but i can't hear the difference so i'm doing something wrong!? I use Onkyo HF player and have 24 bit tracks that i stream. So i'm thinking how i'm streaming or streaming to what device is the problem? So whats the best setup for quality? 1) Hf Player (iPhone) to airdac (airplay) into amp. 2) Hf Player (iPhone) to apple tv (airplay) into amp. 3) Hf Player (iPhone) to rblink (bluetooth) into amp. 4) Hf Player (iPhone) to apple tv (airplay) into airdac into amp. 5) Hf Player (iPhone) to irdac (USB) into amp. (non streaming) 6) Hf Player (iPhone) to a apple tv (airplay) into irdac (coaxial) into amp . Lastly will an iPhone 7 be ok connecting to the irdac? Hopefully you can help me out!??

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd get an Apple AirPort Express (but only the latest version) and connect it - with ethernet cable - to your router and connect it to your amp with an analogue 3.5mm - 2 x RCA phono lead.

This will provide you with AirPlay from any iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch or Mac (up to - and including - lossless 16 bit, 44.1 KHz, CD quality content).

It's internal DAC is very good but, if your are still convinced the irDAC is the way you want to go in the future, just connect it to the AEX with a 3.5mm Mini Toslink - Toslink optical cable in the same socket. (The 3.5mm socket on the AEX doubles as either an optical digital or an analogue connection.)

I would be entirely happy with that first solution for audio only - and indeed actually used that very configuration for a while until it became more convenient (and flexible) to use an ATV3 for audio through the DAC in my Quad Vena AND streaming catch-up TV services too.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Would this mean I can only stream at 16bit?

with the irdac it does support 24bit 192 if I was to plug directly in, I could hook up my v3 Apple TV directly to the irdac and then use airplay for convience for generally streaming.

im leaning towards that idea but I now have another option!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Dean Morris said:
Thanks for your response. Would this mean I can only stream at 16bit?

with the irdac it does support 24bit 192 if I was to plug directly in, I could hook up my v3 Apple TV directly to the irdac and then use airplay for convience for generally streaming.

im leaning towards that idea but I now have another option!

I can't help you with the 24bit 192kHz stuff, sorry. Never had any need for anything beyond CD quality.

As you do have a need then yes, you should get a 24/192 cabable DAC otherwise you'll forever be wondering "What if?..." and this may lead to anxiety :)

You should have bought the Quad Vena. Only £599 and has a superb DAC built in. It also has exactly the same TI LM3886 power amplifier modules that your Arcam A19 uses.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
just managed to buy a arcam irdac!

So will be able to find out how good it is by the weekend!

I did look at the quad and did try it out. With the speakers i tried and my ears, the arcam a19 work better with the kef r100.

I tried the ls50 and r300 but prefered the r100. Saved me money too! just shows about partnering equipment! I think kef and arcam work really well and maybe the next stage would be arcam a39 with r300!

What speakers are you running with your Quad?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts