Arcam A85

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have seen an Arcam A85 for an ok price. Is this regarded to be a good amp? Any users or owners care to comment please?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
If it's really a good price just buy it & resell it if you don't like it.

I found it a bit lifeless & there are some that feel to get the best out of it you have to also buy the P85 power amp & bi-amp. Ultimately only you can decide if you like it.

davo

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I bought one of the last Arcam A85s in Jan 2004 after auditioning it and deciding that I liked it very much. The A90 had already been announced and was said to be a little more" lively". Indeed the A85 was generally described in terms such as "grown-up" to emphasise that it was not an in-your-face exciting sound, but it suited my classical tastes just fine. It has texture and the sound stage (with my Castle Chester speakers) is somewhat behind the plane of the speakers.

However it is all a matter of different music styles and tastes and there will be those for whom it is not suitable. Mine is still in daily use after 10 years.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
The ARCAM is a great amp i had one, but its is very layed back detail soundstage all class leading but i will say when it comes to bass rhythm timing it very layed back and feels slow and boring, so if you like dance or rock consider something else

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I like dance and rock, and I'm very happy with my A85.

Haven't found anything better, even listening to amps which are substantially more expensive. The only way I'd change it would be if I wanted to go to back to surround sound.

I'm one of those types who doesn't hear a massive difference between decent quality amps though.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for the feedback. The amp I was looking at is a bit old at 8 years. Would be living in fear of it clapping out on me so have decided against it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts