Arcam A85 vs Roksan Kandy KA1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI Guys, Have seen a Arcam A85 for quite cheap and was wondering if it'd be a worthwhile upgrade from my Roksan Kandy KA1? I'm happy with my Roksan but am interested if I'd be getting large gains be going to the Arcam, Thanks, Adam

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have an A85 which is fantastic. I biamp with a P85. I would imagine that an upgrade to your speakers would improve the sound far more than changing your amp.

A

Anonymous

Well this would be with in mind off changing the speakers soon ( as discussed in previous post) when i can afford them.

I'd hopefully be able to sell my Roksan and upgrade to the Arcam for hardly any cost, whereas i need to save for quite awhile for the speaker upgrade!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Bboma"]Yeah sure, get the A85 if you want to bored to death.[/quote]

I don't concur with that. The A85 is a very very good amp

A

Anonymous

hi guys. great forum! the Arcam certainly received great reviews when it was first released. A reviewer on soundstage.com even said it was the equal of the Mark Levinson 383 amplifier in terms of sound quality if not power. high praise indeed! however the equipment he was testing with was high end. I agree with joelsim in that the speakers, im sure, would be the way to get most noticeable improvement in ur system BUT like u say if the speakers would be a long time coming then go for it! the other upgrades will follow im sure! the review can be found here. hope it helps
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/arcam_a85.htm

A

Anonymous

[quote user="AdamLoewy"]HI Guys,

Have seen a Arcam A85 for quite cheap and was wondering if it'd be a worthwhile upgrade from my Roksan Kandy KA1?

I'm happy with my Roksan but am interested if I'd be getting large gains be going to the Arcam,

Thanks,

Adam
[/quote]
Very different sound. The Arcam sounds more transparent but might not be to your tastes. The only way to know is to test. Obvious I know, but it really is as simple as that.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses guys, i've decided to buy it to try it for awhile, can always sell if i don't like it!

Specific quesiton for any Roksan CD players users (Igglebert). Do you suffer from excessive skipping even on brand new perfect CDs?
I love the CD player but can not stand its jumping. It may just be that mine is quite old now, its a KC1, but i was hoping that the newer Roksans would skip less.

Thanks
Adam

A

Anonymous

Yes, in a word. All discs need to be clean and quite scratch free. I can cope with that. Copied discs don't seem to work at all. I can't cope with this. A slight lie because all of my older copies work _OK_ but new ones don't. I've tried a lot of different blank CD makes and different burners and software with no luck. Not sure why my older ones work, but the common theme is an old HP burner. Ho hum...

A

Anonymous

It happens even with brand new out of the case CD's and its happened with a few.
Have never had a problem with copied CD's, i use Itunes and have never had an issue

A

Anonymous

[quote user="AdamLoewy"]It happens even with brand new out of the case CD's and its happened with a few.

Have never had a problem with copied CD's, i use Itunes and have never had an issue
[/quote]
Unfortunately I think the resolution is to send it off to Roksan for tracking realignment. Email them and see what they think on the topic...I'm sure mine is only a year behind yours...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts