Arcam A19

boyjohn2

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking at this amp and they say; "It requires some carefull system partnering". Would KEF 104ABs work with it or not? if not, what would be your suggestion.

It's really annoying when they include a cop-out clause like that isn't it?

All the more reason not to rely too much on reviews. They should help you draw up a short list but when it comes down to it the only one that is going to determine good from bad is you. Go and audition the A19.

I found it to be extremely competent but then again have not heard it with the 104's.

See if you can find somewhere that has one available for a home demo.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
To be fair they do say it refers to their very neutral ATC speakers the Kef LS50 s were much better, also the Naim cdp was too warm and Audiolab 8200 was a better fit.

So what are your speakers like? Neutral?

BigH said:
To be fair they do say it refers to their very neutral ATC speakers the Kef LS50 s were much better, also the Naim cdp was too warm and Audiolab 8200 was a better fit.

So what are your speakers like? Neutral?

Not too sure which review trhe OP was talking about but a lot tend to throw that clause in without any explaination of what exactly they mean.

If they were using ancilliaries you mention then it was obviously another good example of getting your source sorted first and worrying about your speakers later. :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well it says it in the WHF review, which you can check on this site. IMO although the Arcam A19 was best amp in WHF awards, I thought the Creek 50A was better and so did another hifi mag. WHF have not reviewed the Creek, although the previous WHF reviewer has. Yes I agree that reviews are only a rough guide as the equipment and room will no doubt be far different from yours, not to mention music and taste.

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
The A19 I heard sounded ok to me, and reasonably neutral, I think it would be fine to partner KEF's, I heard it with R700's and was quite happy with it. Infact I was on the verge of buying an A19 as I didn't hear anything else particularly better in the price range, but then I heard a comparison between the audiolab 8200 and a similarly priced valve amp. The audiolab (and every other electric amp I've heard with it - Creek, Cambridge, Musical Fidelity, Rega) was completely put to shame, smashed to pieces, hideously disfigured by the unassuming slightly odd looking little valve amp. Thats where my vote goes FWIW. Though it does depend somewhat on what music you listen to also.

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
RLCCM said:
The A19 I heard sounded ok to me, and reasonably neutral, I think it would be fine to partner KEF's, I heard it with R700's and was quite happy with it. Infact I was on the verge of buying an A19 as I didn't hear anything else particularly better in the price range, but then I heard a comparison between the audiolab 8200 and a similarly priced valve amp. The audiolab (and every other electric amp I've heard with it - Creek, Cambridge, Musical Fidelity, Rega) was completely put to shame, smashed to pieces, hideously disfigured by the unassuming slightly odd looking little valve amp. Thats where my vote goes FWIW. Though it does depend somewhat on what music you listen to also.

Do valve amps run on coal then? Steam powered!? Lol couldn't resist

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
RLCCM said:
The audiolab (and every other electric amp I've heard with it - Creek, Cambridge, Musical Fidelity, Rega) was completely put to shame, smashed to pieces, hideously disfigured by the unassuming slightly odd looking little valve amp.

That is truly terrifying

regards

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
is A19 sensitive to CD player as well or rather speakers?

I am thinking about following combo

A19

Oppo 103 - as CD, SACD player

Focal Aria 926

Pioneer N50 as streamer

what do you think?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts