Arcam A19 or Marantz pm8005

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Would either of these present an upgrade over my current system?
Current set up is Project Xpression III, Project phono stage, NAD 325BEE and Focal Chorus 714 Floorstanders.I demoed the Focal speakers in-store with the Arcam and was seriously impressed, so much that I took the Focal speakers for home demo before buying and found them a massive step up from my previous Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. I loved the sound of my system as it was, thoroughly enjoying the music, but since buying the Foal speakers find things so much better that I now have upgradeitis! Can't help but wonder if I would find further improvement with a new amp. The Arcam A19 sounded utterly superb on demo (in-store, afternoon spent demoing different speakers ) and that was with an inferior Project TT and cartridge (compared to my own set up). The Marantz PM8005 is currently about same price, but is it also a good match for the Focal speakers? Just wondered what opinions people have, obviously a demo is on the horizon.

oldleodensian said:
Would either of these present an upgrade over my current system?

Current set up is Project Xpression III, Project phono stage, NAD 325BEE and Focal Chorus 714 Floorstanders. I demoed the Focal speakers in-store with the Arcam and was seriously impressed, so much that I took the Focal speakers for home demo before buying and found them a massive step up from my previous Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. I loved the sound of my system as it was, thoroughly enjoying the music, but since buying the Foal speakers find things so much better that I now have upgradeitis! Can't help but wonder if I would find further improvement with a new amp. The Arcam A19 sounded utterly superb on demo (in-store, afternoon spent demoing different speakers ) and that was with an inferior Project TT and cartridge (compared to my own set up). The Marantz PM8005 is currently about same price, but is it also a good match for the Focal speakers? Just wondered what opinions people have, obviously a demo is on the horizon.

Arcam and Nad are very good matches for Focal. But if you're happy with your system 'as is', do you really need to spend?

The best thing is to dem the Arcam and Marantz against the Nad and decide whether the increase in quality justifys the asking price.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Arcam and Nad are very good matches for Focal. But if you're happy with your system 'as is', do you really need to spend?

The best thing is to dem the Arcam and Marantz against the Nad and decide whether the increase in quality justifys the asking price.

So very true, sitting here enjoying music begs the question "why change anything" ..... However I am happy that I followed the desire to seek better speakers as that is without doubt a massive improvement. The NAD was an unbelievable bargain brand new at £70 back in 2008....not sure though about the logistics of demoing Arcam AND Marantz against my NAD with my own speakers.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I think the marantz pm8005 is a lot better then the arcam a19 you can pick up a marantz pm8005 new for £600 a very good amp but your find it hard to get a demo on the marantz as not meany dealers have one in stock for you to demo I had to blind buy mine but it was worth it

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I picked Marantz PM8005 over three Arcams - 19, 29 and 39. Paid 525 Sterling and I am very happy. Nice and dynamic sound. Lows are amazing as well as the rest of the spectrum. It can play loud too.

It looks good as well if you did not know, I've got in silver - an old school... Plus can be controlled over your network when connected to Marantz streamer or a CD player.

All in all, for the money and "Made In Japan" badge, a good one.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest that nobody can tell you which is the better amp for you...they can only tell you which is the better amp for them.

For me, it would be the Arcam, especially if paired with Focal (and the fact that you are coming from Nad).

iceman16

If you can stretch your budget for the Arcam A29
devil_smile.gif
it will be an excellent match with your Focal speakers IMO.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I would suggest that nobody can tell you which is the better amp for you...they can only tell you which is the better amp for them.

Absolutely agree, though it's interesting to see what other people have experienced. Having never heard Marantz amps, don't know how well it would partner the Focals.

CnoEvil said:
For me, it would be the Arcam, especially if paired with Focal (and the fact that you are coming from Nad).

Loved the sound of the Arcam A19 with the Focal speakers during extensive in-store demo.

Will it be as significant an upgrade from the NAD as the Focal was from the Wharfedales? No doubt something I will only confirm with a home demo.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
iceman16 said:
If you can stretch your budget for the Arcam A29 it will be an excellent match with your Focal speakers IMO.

Exactly what I had been thinking too; I'll need to wait longer to afford it, so it gives me plenty of time to continue the procrastination *scratch_one-s_head*

*biggrin*

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
jerryapril@msn.com said:
I picked Marantz PM8005 over three Arcams - 19, 29 and 39. Paid 525 Sterling and I am very happy. Nice and dynamic sound. Lows are amazing as well as the rest of the spectrum.

What source and speakers do you have it connected to?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
oldleodensian said:
Will it be as significant an upgrade from the NAD as the Focal was from the Wharfedales? No doubt something I will only confirm with a home demo.

I would expect it to be an upgrade...."significant" is in the ear of the listener.

marweb

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I have an A19 paired with a Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Carbon UKX and think it's a brilliant match. The A19 has a good phono stage too. I smile every time I put on a record.

Go let your ears decide ...

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
marweb said:
I have an A19 paired with a Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Carbon UKX and think it's a brilliant match. The A19 has a good phono stage too. I smile every time I put on a record.

Already know just how good it can sound with that Project TT and the Focal speakers. I spent an enjoyable afternoon demoing it, but at the time could not afford both, so the speakers were the preferential upgrade for initial step-up in performance. That was certainly the wisest choice, as the improvement is immense!

My TT is the Xpression III with superior cart to the demo one, so the only uncertain factor is whether or not a Marantz pm8005 could also be a good match.

Obviously it's something only a demo would decide, but a comparative one with an Arcam is not so easily organised.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
oldleodensian said:
marweb said:

Already know just how good it can sound with that Project TT and the Focal speakers. I spent an enjoyable afternoon demoing it, but at the time could not afford both, so the speakers were the preferential upgrade for initial step-up in performance. That was certainly the wisest choice, as the improvement is immense!

My TT is the Xpression III with superior cart to the demo one, so the only uncertain factor is whether or not a Marantz pm8005 could also be a good match.

Obviously it's something only a demo would decide, but a comparative one with an Arcam is not so easily organised.

there not meany dealers who have a marantz pm8005 in stock to demo so i would of thought it would have to be a blind buy if you went down that road but there are lots of arcam A19s around to demo but only you can make this choice everyones tasts are not the same but the marantz is still a very good amp for £600

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
there not meany dealers who have a marantz pm8005 in stock to demo so i would of thought it would have to be a blind buy if you went down that road but there are lots of arcam A19s around to demo but only you can make this choice everyones tasts are not the same but the marantz is still a very good amp for £600

Although the Marantz is no doubt a great amp, I'd only buy after having a demo with Focal speakers.

Due to:

a) absence of resounding encouragement from Marantz owners that it partners well with Focal

b) complicated logistics of seeking a demo of the Marantz against the Arcam

c) already had demo of Arcam during speaker demo last year

d) just found the A19, new with full warranty from authorised dealer, with £220 off original rrp

I will be going for the Arcam, knowing it's a superb partner to the Focal Chorus 714

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
My sources for PM8005 are: streamer Marantz NA6005 and BD/CD player Marantz UD7007.

Spekers are Monitor Audio Gold GX200.

Inerconnects Atlas Element Integra and speaker cable QED XT40 with AirLock bananas, a single run. All copper as you can see, this time around did not like my favorite Chord silver plated conductors with this set up. Funny enough, this particular type of Atlas and QED cables look exatly the same on the outside...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts