ARCAM A18

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Just Google translated a German review of above amp and apparently the A18 was considered to be :-

"Only with adequate playing partners, the supposed weakling showed his strengths.
These are as gripping, dynamic mids.
Friends great voices here get their costs, as long as they do not require brachial level."

Think i might buy one...............

I heard the A18 when I tested Usher, Linn and PMC speakers. It seemed a fairly well balanced amp but lacked.....well, just lacked. It was okay, but didn't have the wow factor - dull and uninteresting, you might say.

If you like the Arcam character, then go for one of the DIVA range - any of them. For around £300 you could get the DIVA flagship A85 on ebay. IMO the A65 Plus is more invigorating.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
zappa 100:"Only with adequate playing partners, the supposed weakling showed his strengths.
These are as gripping, dynamic mids.
Friends great voices here get their costs, as long as they do not require brachial level."

Are you sure that wasn't a Nostradamus prophecy you translated by mistake?
emotion-4.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the previous comment, the 18 is a lacklustre sounding amplifier, in ultimate terms and compared to both the 28 and 38, both not exactly fire crackers either though I have a certain affinity for the latter which I think is underrated by this mag.

What the A18 does though and what was probably the designers intent, is to cover most sins relatively well without excelling in any particular way, in short it is non-offensive, listenable and will probably match with most budget speakers, players etc.

It wouldn't be my personal choice even at that price but considering Arcam's relatively good residual values, build quality and facilities and it makes a reasonable first amplifier to build a system on. I probably would save a little longer but you can say that at any level or price.

drummerman:

I agree with the previous comment, the 18 is a lacklustre sounding amplifier, in ultimate terms and compared to both the 28 and 38, both not exactly fire crackers either though I have a certain affinity for the latter which I think is underrated by this mag.

What the A18 does though and what was probably the designers intent, is to cover most sins relatively well without excelling in any particular way, in short it is non-offensive, listenable and will probably match with most budget speakers, players etc.

It wouldn't be my personal choice even at that price but considering Arcam's relatively good residual values, build quality and facilities and it makes a reasonable first amplifier to build a system on. I probably would save a little longer but you can say that at any level or price.

Yup - IMO the A18 is a throw back to the Alpha days - a safe, warm sound that fails to engross the listener. As you say, DM, you can't really dislike it because it's the sonic equivilent of a cosy duvet, while the build quality, like all Arcams, is spot-on for the money. In saying that, it doesn't do enough - in the price bracket - to inspire a wholehearted recommendation.

As regards the others in the range (A28 & A38) I can't comment, but if the A18 is anything to go by, then Arcam have underachieved.

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Blimey, i only meant my original post as a bit of fun!
Arcam could go bust as a result it.
I can feel a bout of gripping in my dynamic mid coming on..........

zappa 100:Blimey, i only meant my original post as a bit of fun! Arcam could go bust as a result it. I can feel a bout of gripping in my dynamic mid coming on..........

See a doctor if I were you.....
emotion-5.gif

You did say you might buy one......

In all honesty, the A18 ain't bad, has a fully loaded spec and has a fab build. It would sound 3 x better if you bi-amp a power amp to it. If you like a languid sound to your music, the A18 is the kiddie.

A

Anonymous

How about using it as a pre-amp with a P38? Would you expect much improvement to it's 'languid' sound?

Kevin1:How about using it as a pre-amp with a P38? Would you expect much improvement to it's 'languid' sound?

I haven't heard the A18 with a power amp but I know from experience (and some of the other guys on the forum - Joel, where are you when we need you?) that Arcam traditionally florishes when bi-amped, probably more effective than most makes.

Yes, the A18 will have a much tighter bass and mid-range and improved detail, but I suspect the P38 would be a slight overkill - it's akin to riggin my A65 to a P85.

A

Anonymous

I agree that the arcam FMJ sound is rather soft and woolly. Do people think this is more a factor of the pre-amp or the power-amp section?

Kevin1:I agree that the arcam FMJ sound is rather soft and woolly. Do people think this is more a factor of the pre-amp or the power-amp section?

Depends on how you define 'soft & woolly, and which other brands you're comparing it with?

As drummerman stated earlier, Arcam, especially over recent years, have tried to cover a whole multitude of sins, resulting in a rather safe sound. However, in saying that, pair it with a fast and detailed CDP and lively speakers and it'll compare nicely with most brands. Arcam's problem is their amps need very careful partnering, more than most makes, if you want decent reproduction.

A

Anonymous

thanks that's helpful.. What brands of CDP woud you consider particularly fast and detailed?

Kevin1:thanks that's helpful.. What brands of CDP woud you consider particularly fast and detailed?

Rather depends on what speakers you have or want. Monitor Audio and Arcam produce great synergy. But if you go the MA route I would look at Rega Apollo, Exposure 2010s, Nad, Roksan Kandy and possibly Marantz.

If you choose or have more neutral speakers, like B&W, PMC, Spendor or Epos I would be tempted to go with Cyrus 6S or 6SE.

plastic penguin:

Kevin1:thanks that's helpful.. What brands of CDP woud you consider particularly fast and detailed?

Rather depends on what speakers you have or want. Monitor Audio and Arcam produce great synergy. But if you go the MA route I would look at Rega Apollo, Exposure 2010s, Nad, Roksan Kandy and possibly Marantz.

If you choose or have more neutral speakers, like B&W, PMC, Spendor or Epos I would be tempted to go with Cyrus 6S or 6SE.

Just remembered - if you go down the PMC or Spendor route, the A18 may struggle if you have a large room due to the speakers fairly low sensitivity. This where the MA's are good - they are so easy to drive, great for low powered amps.

A

Anonymous

OK that's the speakers. But what about CD players? Is there a particular CD player brand that anyone considers good at counterbalancing the Arcam softness?

plastic penguin:

There you are!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Kevin1:
OK that's the speakers. But what about CD players? Is there a particular CD player brand that anyone considers good at counterbalancing the Arcam softness?

I think the Arcam softness has been well overstated. On a quick demo they perhaps can sound less exciting than some other brands. Take it for me, if you like long listening sessions then you will love the way they engross you for hours on end. Far more so that some other brands which can start to grate.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i completely agree - Arcam sound is nowhere near as soft as being made out.

it does have people who put it down - but i notice a far more common thread emerging recently on the forum from those unhappy with systems that are bright or tiring to listen to.

i think Arcam could be due a real comeback

crusaderlord:i completely agree - Arcam sound is nowhere near as soft as being made out. it does have people who put it down - but i notice a far more common thread emerging recently on the forum from those unhappy with systems that are bright or tiring to listen to. i think Arcam could be due a real comeback

I agree totally with yourself and Joel - I've had Arcam amps for over a decade and for long listening it's great; mines been on since about 1.30pm today. However, if you're unfamiliar with the brand and you audition one, you might be in for a surprise - hence why I pitched my previous replies like I did.

Let's be candid, Arcam doesn't have exactly universal backing on this forum, some failing to grasp their sound concept. When matched correctly they are as good as any make, even entry-level models.

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
These views are interesting.
Some on here say the FMJ range is Arcam back to the safe sound of the Alpha series yet Adam Smith in his review in "Hifi World" concludes that the A18 is a much sharper ,dynamic detailed amp than Arcams of the past.
Recently i was able to trial a Naim Nait 5 italic against my Alpha 9 bi amp set up and after all the hype i read about that amp in the press i was pretty much underwhelmed.I found that the only area that the Naim was superior in, was channel seperation. Detail,clarity, timing were no better and i found it lacked a certain "magic" that makes you want to keep on listening to your system for hours on end.
My original post which started this thread came about because i was thinking of replacing the Alpha 9 with an A18 and bi amping with the Alpha 9p .I am hoping to borrow one soon form a local dealer.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
zappa 100:These views are interesting.Some on here say the FMJ range is Arcam back to the safe sound of the Alpha series yet Adam Smith in his review in "Hifi World" concludes that the A18 is a much sharper ,dynamic detailed amp than Arcams of the past.Recently i was able to trial a Naim Nait 5 italic against my Alpha 9 bi amp set up and after all the hype i read about that amp in the press i was pretty much underwhelmed.I found that the only area that the Naim was superior in, was channel seperation. Detail,clarity, timing were no better and i found it lacked a certain "magic" that makes you want to keep on listening to your system for hours on end.My original post which started this thread came about because i was thinking of replacing the Alpha 9 with an A18 and bi amping with the Alpha 9p .I am hoping to borrow one soon form a local dealer.

I suspect that an A18 wouldn't be a massive improvement over the 9, the A18 is entry level, the 9 wasn't and is probably comparable with the A18.

I'd be tempted to look for an A32/P35 combo second hand.

JoelSim:

zappa 100:These views are interesting.Some on here say the FMJ range is Arcam back to the safe sound of the Alpha series yet Adam Smith in his review in "Hifi World" concludes that the A18 is a much sharper ,dynamic detailed amp than Arcams of the past.Recently i was able to trial a Naim Nait 5 italic against my Alpha 9 bi amp set up and after all the hype i read about that amp in the press i was pretty much underwhelmed.I found that the only area that the Naim was superior in, was channel seperation. Detail,clarity, timing were no better and i found it lacked a certain "magic" that makes you want to keep on listening to your system for hours on end.My original post which started this thread came about because i was thinking of replacing the Alpha 9 with an A18 and bi amping with the Alpha 9p .I am hoping to borrow one soon form a local dealer.

I suspect that an A18 wouldn't be a massive improvement over the 9, the A18 is entry level, the 9 wasn't and is probably comparable with the A18.

I'd be tempted to look for an A32/P35 combo second hand.

Interesting, because with all the amps I've home tested, none have been a huge improvement over my A65 - these include, Roksan Kandy LIII, Cyrus VS2, Rotel RA-06 and Naim Nait 5i. Sure these amps had more detail and better dynamics, but not enough to justify the premium. It's only when you go over the Grand mark then the difference is striking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts