Arcam 8/8P bi-amp system upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Guys, i got an Arcam 8/8P bi-amp system with an 8Cd player running into B&W602s. All up, must be 10years old?

When i traded up to the 602s i was mainly into DVD and i did notice a bit of loss of staging/imaging from my old speakers (mission 702 or something). but the oomph more than made up for it. now, i am thinking of upgrading the speakers.

So, i went into a local music store to be told "you need to start replacing the amps - at that age(10yrs) they dry out and cant be serviced" I was a bit taken a back to say the least. HAve kinda figured that was BS

went to another store to be told about dynadio 42/52.

Would like to try MA BR2's

So, your thoughts please - are speakers the right place to start? I know i need to audition and it needs to be my choice, but thought i could do a bit of ground work here.

A

Anonymous

i should have said that i listen to a wide range of music, but would want it to sound best with vocal/jazz type stuff.

budget? cheaper the better - my kids will knock them to the floor at least once in their life.....

cheers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think you'd find the M/A BR2's to be very good sounding speakers. They'd suit the Arcam Alpha 8 set-up you have down to a tee.

Also; could be worth considering changing the 8P power amp for either an Arcam Alpha 9P or 10P power amp. Either of those will give you the extra oomph over the 8P but also they are a noticable difference soundstage wise!

I deffo dont agree with the 'dried up amp' comment, thats cack. I had my Arcam Alpha 9 set-up (integrated, power and CDP) for over 7 years and have just sold them 2 weeks ago and they still sounded better then a majority of the newer Arcam stuff!

A consideration could be to sell what youve got and upgrade to a new integrated amp, CDP and speakers with decent cable and stands all round (IMO thats what i'd go for).

It doesnt have to be brand new; eBay has some great stuff on currently!

A

Anonymous

yeah grab some bronze Monitor Audios.

With the children destroying your hifi possibility... well consider that the MA's use metal drivers so I guess they would be harder to damage over treated paper alternatives. The tweeter is guarded so don't worry about that, but the bass cones could certainly withstand an unwanted poke without any serious injury.

Other thing I'll say is you might wanna check out the floorstanding version, BR 5/6 I think they are. Give em a listen, they'd probably be harder to knock over and the cabinet walls a jolly thick so landing on carpet should be ok;) Also, I don't know if the bronze is the same, but my GR20's have a plinth at the bottom with the spikes far out. This makes the speaker more stable, improves bass and all - but it also means theya re a lot more difficult to knock over. Maybe the bronzes have the same thing, I know the silvers do.

I'm making it sound like you've got a crazy hifi course;)

A

Anonymous

If you can stretch to it the RS6's are just lovely. If you get them they will possibly last you years before you consider again an upgrade.

If you sit, listen and compare I think you will be sold!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree; theyre not a 'huge' upgrade but they will give you a different sound compared to the B&W's and newer speakers can offer an insight into your system with regards to where the sound stage could be failing or not up to scratch etc...

I still think a full overhaul of your system could be a good idea. Prices on eBay are good currently so it could be worth 'biting the bullet' so to speak and seeing where you can go next!

If not maybe a speaker cable and interconect upgrade could be in order!

The Arcam Alpha 8 integrated and 8P power amp is a good little combo so i'd definitly be looking to change the CDP and/or speakers somewhere down the line!

A

Anonymous

thanks guys for all the input.

kids and all dont allow much time to listen properly to music, so wasnt really thinking about upgrading the amp/cd (money wise) - but ebay is a good call and will have a little look.

will also have a look at those floor standers - currently the B&W's are in stands and have "only" been knocked off once - then i filled the stand with sand and so far so good (famous last words!!!).

since found out my local dealer doesnt do MA's - looks like a road trip coming up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts